Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Enough time had passed with enough poor results that there would be zero criticism of Geoff/Steve/ Flaherty? for sacking Davidson. 

They're starting to look foolish for persisting with him. 

Among the St Johnstone support, yes. But among the mainstream media, or at least some of those with a tendency shout the loudest, I think there would still be a big backlash if he went just one match into the season. 

I remember County getting pelters for sacking Jim McIntyre 18 months after winning the league cup, even though he should have been sacked at the end of the previous season because the rot had already set. It was the correct decision in the end (but replacing him with Coyle wasn’t).

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

Clark was sacked after 8 games in 2001 and it was already too late by that point.

Make the change now and give us a chance. 

That has to be the worry now – that even a swift change with time left in the transfer window leaves the replacement in an incredibly difficult position, let alone if it goes on until the autumn or winter.

(Will happily eat humble pie if we're sitting comfortably at Christmas, but can't see it.)

18 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Among the St Johnstone support, yes. But among the mainstream media, or at least some of those with a tendency shout the loudest, I think there would still be a big backlash if he went just one match into the season. 

I remember County getting pelters for sacking Jim McIntyre 18 months after winning the league cup, even though he should have been sacked at the end of the previous season because the rot had already set. It was the correct decision in the end (but replacing him with Coyle wasn’t).

I don't even know if it's something they even worry about tbh as the silence from McD is deafening.

Geoff certainly didn't care about sacking Alex Totten and the MSM went nuts. Nothing to do with his ties to the marble staircase of course.

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

When we were relegated in 2002, it came after Geoff Brown had been away from the club because of illness. Ian Dewar was in charge and obviously we had approaching a year of poor results under Sandy Clark before he was sacked. 

GB said, I'm sure, that he would never have allowed Clark to continue in the position for so long if he had been fully involved. We don't even know what the hierarchy is at the moment. Has Steve Brown completely walked away? 

Clark was sacked after 8 games in 2001 and it was already too late by that point.

Make the change now and give us a chance. 

Interestingly that of late the Directors Box at McD is very sparse with bodies?? think there was 4 at the Ayr gams, 6 yesterday, Geoff was there but still no sign of Steve???  

4 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Been in at the club about a fortnight 

Seems a long trial? 

Surely 2 weeks is enough to make a decision either way?!

I see he was sent off 3 times for Gillingham last season.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/he-needs-to-learn-gillingham-s-on-loan-watford-midfielder-263511/

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

So scunnered with Saints and past anger now, I couldn’t even be arsed to post on here after Saturday. I was dead excited to get along despite all the pre season “issues” and made the trip which for me was 4hrs ish each way from the north of England. Wish I didn’t bother.

There were some positives. The back 6 absolutely screams relegation with loanees and players well past their best getting one last payday at a decent level. With possible exception of Drey Wright they all fit that category. But they were actually fine and the guy from Millwall was a pleasant surprise, and I think Wright showed he can offer something. It still screams relegation though and are people like Ryan McGowan and a tiny winger from Celtic really gonna show the commitment and balls we need to have a chance of staying up? Shite so far or not Davidson needs to get Mahon back into the defence.

Theo Bair had one nice trap of the ball which maybe shows he isn’t a complete huddy. Not the answer yet though. I think Carey and Murphy (who was shit) are clearly still good players too.

But then that just brings us to the thousands of negatives which everyone else has already covered. In no particular order: in this system the wingers and wing backs have to beat at least two players to even have the chance to get a shot off or cross in, thanks to the numerical disadvantage … Hallberg doesn’t sit in midfield, meaning we are reliant on Murray Davidson (!) to spray the ball around from deep … Any “strikers” have to compete with at least two CBs and often a CDM, meaning their entire game is chasing lost causes … The manager has no tactical nous, as shown by going into a weird 5-3-1 that gave Hibs literally all of the ball when we went down to 10 … This system needs overlapping CBs to work. By playing 2 slow old men either side of Mitchell, there isn’t even a threat of that happening … and Hibs were a pre-season shambles with a clown as a manager. Probably one of our biggest competitors for the bottom 3 places on paper. They’ve just dominated us at home on the first day of the season.

He has to go, I’m not gonna bother making the effort for games if the board won’t make the effort to see what needs to be done.

4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-5-1/4-4-1-1

Matthews
Brown Mitchell Mahon Considine

MacPherson Davidson

Hallberg

Wright Bair/new CF Carey

Why we aren’t doing something alone these lines is beyond me.

22 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

So scunnered with Saints and past anger now, I couldn’t even be arsed to post on here after Saturday. I was dead excited to get along despite all the pre season “issues” and made the trip which for me was 4hrs ish each way from the north of England. Wish I didn’t bother.

There were some positives. The back 6 absolutely screams relegation with loanees and players well past their best getting one last payday at a decent level. With possible exception of Drey Wright they all fit that category. But they were actually fine and the guy from Millwall was a pleasant surprise, and I think Wright showed he can offer something. It still screams relegation though and are people like Ryan McGowan and a tiny winger from Celtic really gonna show the commitment and balls we need to have a chance of staying up? Shite so far or not Davidson needs to get Mahon back into the defence.

Theo Bair had one nice trap of the ball which maybe shows he isn’t a complete huddy. Not the answer yet though. I think Carey and Murphy (who was shit) are clearly still good players too.

But then that just brings us to the thousands of negatives which everyone else has already covered. In no particular order: in this system the wingers and wing backs have to beat at least two players to even have the chance to get a shot off or cross in, thanks to the numerical disadvantage … Hallberg doesn’t sit in midfield, meaning we are reliant on Murray Davidson (!) to spray the ball around from deep … Any “strikers” have to compete with at least two CBs and often a CDM, meaning their entire game is chasing lost causes … The manager has no tactical nous, as shown by going into a weird 5-3-1 that gave Hibs literally all of the ball when we went down to 10 … This system needs overlapping CBs to work. By playing 2 slow old men either side of Mitchell, there isn’t even a threat of that happening … and Hibs were a pre-season shambles with a clown as a manager. Probably one of our biggest competitors for the bottom 3 places on paper. They’ve just dominated us at home on the first day of the season.

He has to go, I’m not gonna bother making the effort for games if the board won’t make the effort to see what needs to be done.

4-3-3/4-2-3-1/4-5-1/4-4-1-1

Matthews
Brown Mitchell Mahon Considine

MacPherson Davidson

Hallberg

Wright Bair/new CF Carey

Why we aren’t doing something alone these lines is beyond me.

Please no. 35 year old Andrew Considine shouldn't be anywhere near left back. He can't run. Can you imagine him running up and down the wing? 😂

Please no. 35 year old Andrew Considine shouldn't be anywhere near left back. He can't run. Can you imagine him running up and down the wing? [emoji23]

Preferable to the kid winger until one of Booth or Gallacher - both left backs rather than wing backs - are back. One square peg in a round hole, compared to the 5 or 6 we currently play every week.

Gallacher in the left of a four is just as suicidal as Considine imo. It's a no from me.

Murray Davidson with Hallberg next to him in this system is just plain stupid. It negates both players good attributes.  

Starting this season without a decent striker and CM is absolutely shocking. It's neglect.

The current situation reminds me entirely of 2002 when Billy Stark and his band of retirees (Kemble, Falconer etc) got us relegated with barely a wimper.

Completely sucked my interest out of watching football after 10 years of hardly missing a game, and I've never watched football regularly since (albeit having hardly been in the country since 2003!).

We were let off last season - the problems were absolutely clear to see during the European games.  That we haven't solved them now, and just made them worse is simply unforgivable.

Edited by stevensanph

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

i haven’t yet read the article, but surprised to see Nicholson with a critical comment.

I'm not surprised to be honest. There is deffinately a bit of shift in the narrative from the media in the lady few weeks.

This weekend is the first time I've heard outside the fans any real discussion of Davidson being under pressure for his job. That in itself is interesting in that usually those with journalistic connections to the club are more aware of board level feelings than the rest of us. Would indicate to me that for the first time Davidson's position is under real threat. Motherwell being quick off the mark probably heightens that too.

When you get to the 'vote of confidence' stage, then you know its into the endgame.

Things do finally seem to be building a bit - wonder if there is any chance of him going if we get beaten by Motherwell, or if the September international break is the earliest we can hope for.

You'd have to hope whoever is in charge (anyone's guess) is considering that not prolonging the inevitable at least gives a new manager a (very short) window to bring in players before end of the month.

18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Can’t believe it’s not the endgame already. The final credits should’ve been rolling on Davidson’s tenure months ago. 

He won't go before the end of the window though, even if we lost every game. Rightly or wrongly, Steve Brown is proud that we haven't sacked a manager in coming up 20 years. The last thing he wants to do is break that, but it is clear to all, he is going to have to pull the trigger pretty soon unless there is some transformative signings.

It does however highlight why we SHOULD have someone other than the manager responsible for signings. Any new manager would despair at our transfer activity and rightfully have their own views.