Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

For the first time since I started supporting Saints (more than 20 years ago), I didn't keep track of yesterday's match. Later that evening, I checked the final result and I felt nothing apart from 'Oh well, maybe we're one step closer to getting rid of him.' I never thought I could feel so disconnected to the club I love.

It's clear to anyone who has been paying attention that Callum Davidson will never salvage this situation. We might get a decent result here and there which buys him a bit more undeserved time, but ultimately we'll finish in the bottom two (at best) unless we punt him. He is a terrible manager. And quite frankly, he treats this club with more and more contempt every day that he chooses to stay in the job instead of showing a bit of integrity and self-respect. His match tactics remain consistently dreadful, and his transfer policy solely involves desperately attempting to claw back his credibility by replacing his unsuccessful signings with more unsuccessful signings. What he has done to this squad, after so much time and effort has gone into it, is actually disrespectful. 

On a sidenote, I was at the Waterstones' book signing a few months ago. Apart from the odd occasion when someone worked up the courage to say something to this great double-winning coach, the man didn't even look up from the books he was signing. I had never seen anything like it from a previous Saints manager, nor from the majority of Saints players. Thank god he had the very friendly Liam Gordon sitting alongside him. This probably seems irrelevant in the wider scale of things, but it's apparent that he possesses no people skills whatsoever. This is further backed up by his terrible media interviews and embarrassing touchline antics. When someone like this guy loses the respect of his players, there is no chance he's getting it back. 

Watching hibs yesterday another team that’s figured out how to play us al they did was play their no6 on the hole behind Blair and play though us simple!! It’s the lack of a plan b that gets me I can understand wanting to stick with a system but you have to know that eventually someone will figure it out and you should evolve we don’t seem to have understood that simple  fact  out 

15 minutes ago, Bankfoot Saints said:

Watching hibs yesterday another team that’s figured out how to play us al they did was play their no6 on the hole behind Blair and play though us simple!! It’s the lack of a plan b that gets me I can understand wanting to stick with a system but you have to know that eventually someone will figure it out and you should evolve we don’t seem to have understood that simple  fact  out 

Aye but in Callum Davidsons own words "you've never played the game professionally, what would you know".

Just to say that @steviemay17’s post was excellent and summed it up for me.

The issues have been apparent for months. The lack of attacking impetus has been obvious for the entirety of last season. Nothing has changed in terms of formation and personnel. It has to now.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Aye but in Callum Davidsons own words "you've never played the game professionally, what would you know".

Maybe not but if I can spot what the opposition are doing why does it take a professional so long to spot and change what we are doing ? 

2 hours ago, Broughty said:

What you write here echo’s my feelings also. The way we play has taken all the enjoyment out of going knowing when we lose a goal we are beat.
A question the management need to answer is how can Livi find a striker like Nouble?

He's not a striker though, we play him on the wing. He only played up front against Rangers as we swap our system around. He plays out of position in big games to use his physicality and get us up the park.

We found him because when JET left, he recommended him as he knows his brother. He said that he felt that Nouble would do a job and was the profile of player we look for.

He's previously said as well that he doesn't like playing up front and prefers to be on the wing. You'd also be forgiven for not knowing that yesterday was his first goal for us :D 

Edited by ATLIS

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Because they probably use more than just Martindale's mates to get players in.

Or method seems to be waiting for an agent to offer us a player. Gary fucking Rowett or agents that used to play for Saints.

Usually for other recruitment we use a stats based system, from League 1 to now we've done a moneyball of sorts. However like I mentioned in my post above it was actually just JET recommending him :D 

In a similar vein to the posts above @The Real Saints and @steviemay17, my enthusiasm for Saints is at an all time low, thanks to the current management.

I've been going to Saints games for 30 years, but living in the Glasgow area and having a young family means I dont get to as many games as I used to.

My eldest is now about the age I was when I went to my first game and showing a real interest in football. I've been looking forward to him reaching that stage so I can take him to McDiarmid and spend time with him the way I have with my dad over the years. We were even passing Perth on Saturday lunchtime travelling back from a holiday and although it wouldnt really have worked logistically I could have made it work to take him. A few days before the game though realised I didn't want to, as I knew what an insipid performance we would put in, with no excitement, no real intent to win, and would probably lose badly. I was worried he wouldn't want to go back, would show more interest in the local teams and might never follow Saints. It was a sad moment of realisation for me and a demonstration of the damage the manger is doing to our club.

I think up to now, most contributions on here have been more analytical, identifying perceived problems. Maybe a bit of frustration or even anger in there. 

Last few pages have been different though, it's far more heartfelt in the aftermath of Saturday, as we realise we've all been lied to about how things were going to be different. 

It can't be that a professional coach/manager can't come up with something else, so it has to be arrogance and part of that must stem from the fact he believes he's untouchable. 

People have complained about it getting personal when people have attacked Davidson but he's the one insulting all of us now.

And the boardroom doesn't even fiddle whilst McDiarmid burns, as that would mean there was at least something they cared about...

After  some blind optimistic you're quickly reminded you're wrong to be optimistic watching that on Saturday.

He's taken being pragmatic to a level where he's strangled the players of any confidence and it's clear to see. 

If all your teamtalks and planning consist of "keep it tight" "let's not lose an early goal" "let's avoid a defeat". What do you think the outcome of that constant negative talking does to the players body language and mindset? 

I can't see the board even remotely considering sacking the manager. The club never seem to accept fan criticism and the unhappy fans will be seen as moaners - that's how the other criticisms such as poor communication are perceived. 

If you offered the board another season like last they'd be over the moon with that. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

When we were relegated in 2002, it came after Geoff Brown had been away from the club because of illness. Ian Dewar was in charge and obviously we had approaching a year of poor results under Sandy Clark before he was sacked. 

GB said, I'm sure, that he would never have allowed Clark to continue in the position for so long if he had been fully involved. We don't even know what the hierarchy is at the moment. Has Steve Brown completely walked away? 

Clark was sacked after 8 games in 2001 and it was already too late by that point.

Make the change now and give us a chance.