Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The lack of info from and about the club is poor.

For so many years in Scottish football you were starved of any on-screen interviews, behind the scenes footage, highlights etc about Saints, as with most of Scottish football you got the scraps of coverage shared between the other 40 clubs after the OF love-in.

Nowadays the availability to control and distribute your own content on numerous platforms is an absolute gift.  So what do we do.. give f**k all info and hide it all away on a subscription service.

A lot of fans, especially younger ones would love to watch a 5-10 minute behind the scenes video a few times a week with interviews, injury updates etc, along the lines of the one we had on you tube during the cup winning season.

It seems short sighted to me, as surely as much as you can keep Saints in the faces of younger fans, the more engaged with the club they will be.

If we're struggling to bring in a decent centre forward, I don't get why we haven't brought in a younger player on loan to plug the gap before hopefully a proper signing by the end of the window. Any lump than can stand in the 6 yard box would be an improvement on the current options.

The alternative is Davidson genuinely doesn't think we need another striker which is probably more likely.

26 minutes ago, monkfish said:

If we're struggling to bring in a decent centre forward, I don't get why we haven't brought in a younger player on loan to plug the gap before hopefully a proper signing by the end of the window. Any lump than can stand in the 6 yard box would be an improvement on the current options.

The alternative is Davidson genuinely doesn't think we need another striker which is probably more likely.

Looks like Stevens fills the mould of that younger player. 

Surprised he's given him the chance but i'm presuming he's shown to be worthy of it during pre season. 

2 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I buy the actual paper every day but its annoying  and a bit frustrating when something you will read the next day pops up on line and you just want to see what it says. 

I think that's a really fair point and get that. I suspect in not too many years from now, print media will be dead and everything will be online, just to cheer you up.

Bair over May for me on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, Radford said:

Regards media coverage...

I think there is an argument to be had about what should and shouldn't be available on Saints TV. Of course, if the clubs (for they are the SPFL) and broadcasters realised that PPV isn't the devil once feared, I'm sure it would pay for itself and then some of the other stuff could be free-to-air, whilst also giving you the opportunities to create premium content (don't laugh) and attract subscriptions. 

But with The Courier in particular, I think it's unreasonable to expect them to give everything away for free. Personally I'm happy to pay for journalism, just as all of us would expect to be paid for our work. 

I think that is fair re the Courier being expected to give information away for free and I don't think anyone expects that they should, but, given the coverage in the media on Saints is patchy at best, to then stick the majority of content, beit club or papers behind a paywall is counter productive.

The best balance is that the club provides the factual stuff, i.e signings and behind scenes stuff and the local paper the context and an at arms length opinion, good and bad.

At the moment, we kind of get neither as the local journalists are far to cozy with the club to be in any way properly critical. In the past, the P.A and Courier were close to the club, but equally (Moreso Courier) let rip when needed. 

And there’s Ross Sinclair off to join Montrose for the season. The reasoning behind Parish playing has become a little more apparent I guess. 

13 minutes ago, Widge said:

And there’s Ross Sinclair off to join Montrose for the season. The reasoning behind Parish playing has become a little more apparent I guess. 

Not really Montrose didn’t get out their group so it wouldn’t have matter if he was cup tied 

24 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Does anybody know how many people actually subscribe to Saints TY?  Can't imagine it is very many.  And for anyone that does, is it worth it?  

I subscribed to the international version during the season without fans when Celtic refused to do PPV. If then came in handy a few weeks later when Rangers' PPV didn't work (and should be noted they refused to issue refunds, even to their own fans). 

I just kept it after that and used it for the Old Firm away games last season, which in themselves would have cost £90 in tickets alone just for me.  That's the cost of it for 7-8 months.

I'm by no means good at technical shit but was easy enough to use a VPN to get it to work. 

The other stuff, I watch bits and pieces but in truth it's all fairly banal. 

I like to think it's supporting the club, although how much of it they get, who knows. It's certainly not "value for money" when you compare it to Prime or Netflix! 

5 minutes ago, Bankfoot Saints said:

Not really Montrose didn’t get out their group so it wouldn’t have matter if he was cup tied 

Playing for us would have tied him to only one loan move though, I presume? That certainly was the rules pre covid. Was extended to three during that period. Presumed it had changed to back to 2 now. 

It would mean if the Montrose loan didn't go well. He would then be stuck not playing post January as he'd not be eligible to play for a third team this season. 

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

I subscribed to the international version during the season without fans when Celtic refused to do PPV. If then came in handy a few weeks later when Rangers' PPV didn't work (and should be noted they refused to issue refunds, even to their own fans). 

Credit card company was pretty good for getting the money back from RangersTV for that one. Was back in my account before I was off the phone to them.

Sinclair & Ferguson away on loan to Montrose & East Fife. 

Both should receive fair playtime there. 

Also see the clubs having to order a second batch of the away top also. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Also see the clubs having to order a second batch of the away top also. 

My son’s desperate for the away strip, but given how small macron’s sizes are, I’d need to get him a small. £50 for a shirt for an 8 year old is a fucking rip off, so I might have to be shit Dad and tell him he’s not getting one. 

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've only read the Twitter thread rather than the comments on here as of yet but felt the need to comment before I read on.

@RandomGuy.I don't know why, because you always are up for arguing until the bitter end on a random, shitty topic on here but you seem to continually shit the bed when it comes to Robert Thomson and you've ended up deactivating your account on Twitter. The last time round you threw a big strop and people rallied round you. 

Thomson's problem is that he's made a career from being a know it all arsehole and you're just simply better at being a know it all arsehole. Stop letting him get to you, you're knowledgeable about your club if a bit overdramatic at times and the first person I look at when Dundee have signed an ex -St J player or want to know a bit of info about a former Dee or whatever. Who gives a shit what Thomson's suck ups on Twitter think? Get back to doing what you do best and ignore dinosaurs like him and block the people giving you personal grief.

Well said good advice.

3 hours ago, Goran said:

Nobody brave enough to comment on Cleary signing up for Shamrock Rovers 👀

I mean I already said it yesterday, but I def think it vindicates @RandomGuy.’s point about saints losing an asset. Even if we’d sold him for a nominal fee with a sell on clause or a buy back option or something that showed a bit more joined up thinking, would’ve been nice.