Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Ridiculous that it’s come to you thinking like that. If you’re enjoying it, block the people who are desperate to attack you at any opportunity and carry on. A lot of saints fans think the Twitter page is a valuable resource. 

I cant be arsed, and im tired.

Constantly stepping on egg shells because you know theres folk desperate to pile on at the slightest mistake. More than happy to admit I've likely misjudged my reaction to Cleary, i spoke before i thought, but that happens a lot.

Folk I've never met mentioning me by name again on Twitter and now bringing my son into it, with some previously mentioning where i live, simply because ive a different opinion than them. Who wants to put up with that?

Its not worth it anymore. Ill maybe pop on here every so often and maybe PM folk to see how theyre getting on, but theres no benefit to me posting anywhere anymore. 

I have nothing but pure contempt for Robert Thompson. He's one of the most pathetic, spineless, and thin-skinned individuals I've ever had the misfortune of reading on Twitter. It is genuinely tragic that one has to read his name, work, and pathetic ramblings when trying to find out club information. I genuinely wish it was him who was contemplating giving up Twitter.

Completely separately, if I'm talking about the same post others are (and I might not be) I don't see what Random has said via fan analysis that is that bad, even if the timing of it makes it an easy target for moronic pile-ons. I don't know what has happened to Cleary and I don't believe I have any particular need or right to know. I do see he is still able to use Twitter, from where he formerly peddled dangerous anti-vax nonsense. I understand family reasons mean he can't do one or more of play football / play football in Scotland / play football for us. If that is so, then I would have nothing against the club giving him a leave of absence of whatever duration required. If that ends up being ages, then so be it. 

I have yet to be convinced as to why that requires the club to cancel his contract and give up an asset with 2 years left on his contract. In reality the club is probably only giving up 40-60k in transfer fee, so it probably isn't worth getting upset about. If he will only go back to Ireland, then likely much less than that.

However, any pile-on based on what I've seen Random say (noting I might have missed something), and including SJFC's post above (although not itself a pile-on or attack), ignores that cancelling the contract is not the only option or alternative to, from what I've seen, what people seem to be wrongfully accusing Random of advocating for - that Cleary be kept as prisoner at the club and forced to play through his issues. 

There is no reason, based on the scant information currently/understandably available, not to query why the club have gone for a full release instead of a long term, unpaid leave of absence while retaining title in the player.  If the financial benefit of the leave of absence option would be zero or negligible, noting Irish clubs wont pay much, then that makes the release probably the right choice. It doesn't make someone a monster for asking the question though.

Edited by FrankChickens1

13 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

There's a certain group of Saints fans for some reason who turn their nose up at other Saints fans. Like they're somehow a set of superior supports who are more knowledgeable and "bigger" supporters than others. They turn down their nose at anyone who questions the clubs professionalism and organisation etc. You'll know who I mean. 

Unrelated point of order: Perth and Perthshire has a sizeable contingent of Tories.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Constantly stepping on egg shells because you know theres folk desperate to pile on at the slightest mistake. More than happy to admit I've likely misjudged my reaction to Cleary, i spoke before i thought, but that happens a lot.

Folk I've never met mentioning me by name again on Twitter and now bringing my son into it, with some previously mentioning where i live, simply because ive a different opinion than them. Who wants to put up with that?

Its not worth it anymore. Ill maybe pop on here every so often and maybe PM folk to see how theyre getting on, but theres no benefit to me posting anywhere anymore. 

If he signs for Shamrock Rovers I’d argue you’re entirely right in your reaction.

i also appreciate your output on Twitter and here and def think you should block/report those that’re being personal.

I'm now frantically deleting all the tweets where i called someone a c**t in case i get cancelled for being personal.

Edit - mostly Tory MPs so i believe is allowed on twitter TOS

Edited by Fife Saint

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If the personal stuff on other media outlets is true and I'm not doubting you, and people are naming you then that is disgraceful behacakkviour 

We have had our differences and I know I've called you statto etc but I always feel that you're one of the good guys

Don't let the bast.. get you down 

unless your grump is with me obviously 🤪 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You claimed he wanted a loan move about 2 minutes before claiming he doesnt want to play football anymore, all this ITK info coming just moments after the news breaks hes leaving and you never even hinting at it before. You seem like a complete slaver.

I wish him all the best but i still dont think we needed to release him from his deal to help him, and im still not convinced he wont sign for a club over there fairly quickly.

Have we released him from his deal though? We might just be allowing him compassionate leave.

Football isn't the be all and end all for everyone mate.

There’s Scott Burns is reporting on the Cleary to Shamrock deal. Think it’s entirely understandable for him to want to move closer to home and be with the family member, also think Saints have done the right thing here. 

The mention of fatherhood in reply to RG’s twitter post was just plain weird and not at all relevant. Thomson’s constant attacks are pathetic, at best. 

33 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Have you lot really just let your best CB walk away with two years left on his deal? For free? Wtf :D 

Interesting what other fans think of him...

I wasn't overly impressed. He was alright but not a stand out. 

In terms of his personal views... He's a bit of a Novac Djokovic.

8 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Have we released him from his deal though? We might just be allowing him compassionate leave.

Football isn't the be all and end all for everyone mate.

Bugger,  replied to RandomGuy before reading the Shamrock stuff.

The Twitter stuff is pretty shite though. 

34 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Interesting what other fans think of him...

I wasn't overly impressed. He was alright but not a stand out. 

In terms of his personal views... He's a bit of a Novac Djokovic.

He was a downgrade on Kerr but then again who isn’t? 

For me it’s difficult for the club. You either hold off for a fee and have an unhappy player causing potential trouble, or let them walk on a free, go home and sign for a club to be near family. 

I think the club have got the decision right here and explains why we’ve signed the Millwall lad. It might’ve been worthwhile the club releasing the statement instantly instead of waiting for a few hours allowing questions and eventual rage to seep through. 

damned if you do and damned if you don’t territory.

I liked Dan Cleary as a player. Bit of fight about him, was getting to grips with the system and after a decent six months think he would have kicked on this season. We are poorer for losing him, especially given the way we play. 

Orient and Millwall fans can praise Alex Mitchell for being a stopper (and the manager has maybe said the same) but when you have three centre backs, you need at least one, preferably two, being able to step out and we already know that's not Liam Gordon's game and I've not seen anything to suggest it is Mahon's either. If he's hanging around... 

Especially at home, if teams sit in with two banks of four, how do you break that down with a player less? You need a centre back to get involved. 

And I see thirty-whatever players it is he has still isn't enough... 

As like everyone else on here i have no in sight to what has happened/not happened on Cleary, However there is the potential for a deal to have been done to keep everyone happy! If Dan has been unhappy for what ever personnel reasons his agent would have known! Shamrock are in need of Centre back as their star CB has been injured and possibly out for the rest of the season and they are still in the Europa league so urgently needed a replacement, Shamrock were disappointed not to get Cleary when he came to us so there could easily have been discussions and a deal struck to facilitate the move back home! Every one is a winner!       

32 minutes ago, Radford said:

Especially at home, if teams sit in with two banks of four, how do you break that down with a player less? You need a centre back to get involved. 

That was a massive frustration of mine last season and for some reason I've completely forgotten the problem existed.

Half the League have sussed out to do if at McDiarmid as they know we've got that problem. Especially if you add Davidson into the midfield. Very little in the deeper areas with the ability to penetrate with a pass. Resulting in us gifting possession away or losing possession in a dangerous area for ourselves.

I can see that still being a continued problem if the Annan & Ayr games are anything to go by.

Hopefully Carey's delivery from set pieces helps. We're likely to have better delivery from both sides in Montgomery & Wright but I have very little hope that those in the box will finish the chance.

When's Kane fit?!!

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

41 minutes ago, Radford said:

There arent many teams in the league who will look at a trip to last seasons lowest goalscorers, who have still not signed a striker, and think "we'll go there and sit in".

14 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Especially if you add Davidson into the midfield.

Yeah, adding Murray Davidson to the mix just further exacerbates the problem. Breaking down eight, or even nine, men when you only have six either commiting themselves forward or comfortable on the ball just isn't going to happen. 

Davidson is still fine for some games but there are others where he shouldn't be near the starting eleven. I would put Saturday in that category.

41 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

How the f**k does a sane individual get worked up by a faceless twat on the internet?

I've mentioned Randoms garden on here but it's all in jest (apart from his gardening skills, they're shite). If he'd sent a simple PM saying not to I'd have probably stopped. His melodramatic shite is just him, if you don't like it tell him then move on, don't hound the laddie over several forums and social media and certainly don't bring his new kid into things. You may not like his stat side of things( I think they can be misleading) but surely most can accept it has a role to play in the modern game?

Random, love him or loath him, is a welcome addition to the Saints support on here and is certainly no where near the worst. I'll leave that open goal there for anyone that wants it...

Much as it pains me, I have to agree with you too