Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Replies to this should be interesting

🥰

Let's be honest. Never the best fitba player in the world. But I love him.

I imagine this spells the end for his regular appearances on the Scarves Around the Funnel podcast. Be a bit weird if he's playing against us.

41 minutes ago, Detroit67 said:

In what way am I a friend of Calum Davidson never met him socially in my life?  My reference to three posters was tongue-in-cheek as was describing myself as a “happy clapper” personally I have mixed feelings about season ahead - bottom six but hopeful. COYS 

good of you to sign up to the forum Stuart, at least it gives the 3 of us a chance to respond without tweeting you :lol: 

Think I’ve explained my reasoning for not being positive about this summers’ window relatively well an hour or two ago. No problem with the signings in isolation, but 5 signings over 30 and 2 probable loanees doesn’t give the club much resale value, doesn’t automatically suggest the players will be motivated as they’re not going to get a much bigger move than Saints and it blocks our own youth set up. 

In respect of Davidson, I’ve tried to give him a chance but I just see too many red flags to be anything other than negative about him. He’s very inflexible, his signings are short termist and he never learns from his mistakes. The football on display has been absolutely awful for the majority of his tenure too.

It annoys me also that I’m made out to be some kind of keyboard warrior and that my views are reactionary and baseless and some kind of minority view. They’re not, I’ve followed the club for the best part of the last 30 years (I’m 35) with season tickets and attending matches - home and away - regardless of the league and regardless of how we’re playing. Id like to think I’m pragmatic and understand our place in Scottish football too. I’d say it’s a comfortable majority of Saints fans (certainly the ones I know and online) who hold a more similar view to me than yours also. 

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

It annoys me also that I’m made out to be some kind of keyboard warrior and that my views are reactionary and baseless and some kind of minority view. They’re not, I’ve followed the club for the best part of the last 30 years (I’m 35) with season tickets and attending matches - home and away - regardless of the league and regardless of how we’re playing. I’d say it’s a comfortable majority of Saints fans (certainly the ones I know and online) who hold a more similar view to me than yours also. 

Point taken Kyle, but you surely knew it was a tongue-in-cheek remark. Nor incidentally am I a 'happy clapper' that was aid for effect too.  I have been more than frustrated and when I walked away from Kelty I was the most despondent about Saints I've been in a very long time. I'm aware of the wider feelings, too. Unless I'm working I go to every game, I have hundreds of friends in Perth and I'm very aware of the sentiments that have been gathering for over a year now. I read this thread daily and get the overall feelings, the reason I posted (having lost my old 'Soulful Saint' log-in during an email crash) was because Random was implying I am a friend of the manager,  which is untrue and misrepresentative of my right to have opinions that differ.  It also came with the age-old problem of someone who has not listened to the podcast setting the wrong impression.  I accept that at times I  can be overly positive on air but I feel the need to talk up Saints rather than be over-critical. I can't swear on air either which often very frustrating.  

In fairness Stuart I don’t think I’ve expressed that particularly well either. Ive listened to about half the podcast (going to be honest, I don’t agree with a lot of what’s being said; I’ve already touched upon not being hugely positive about the signings we’ve made, but this notion that the league cup is a set of glorified pre-season friendlies is a terrible take for Saints too - it’s one of only two chances we’ll get to win a trophy every season. I respect that it was Conway who said that and not you though) so I haven’t reached my shout out yet. It is an overarching theme on these kinds of podcasts though, Spence on the talking football podcast being the one that immediately jumps out at me, making out that dissatisfaction aimed at Davidson is isolated to a few morons on the internet when it clearly isn’t and making out the signings being made are excellent when they are at the very least up for debate. I feel that the wider view of the support is often misrepresented in the press and a lot of that is because the people who put that out there know Davidson personally (I think that may be where Random’s comment came from which as it happens was unfair on you too).  

I’ll listen to the rest of the podcast though, apologies if you felt I was calling you out (particularly the paragraph you’ve quoted). That’s more a general frustration at how journalists/podcasters who follow saints try to perceive the people like me who are questioning the management at the club and wasn’t just because of a light hearted jape you’ve made at my expense on a podcast. Nothing is ever black and white in the world of supporting a football club.  

24 minutes ago, Detroit67 said:

I read this thread daily and get the overall feelings, the reason I posted (having lost my old 'Soulful Saint' log-in during an email crash) 

Aye but we have shared access to this account Cunto. The more sensible posts are mine, obviously. 

Edited by tree house tam
I hate calling people their real names.

@Detroit67

I tend to think anyone praising Davidson these days are either friends of his or trolls. Apologies if youre neither and/or you never said these things, i dont listen to podcasts so i can only go off what people who have listened have said.

As an aside, youll learn im a cantankerous, reactive, fanny, if you spend any time at all on this site, so take that in mind when reading my posts 😂

9 minutes ago, Center half said:

Detroit67 , get  tree house Tam,  Kyle  and SLF from WAP who you Know! also get the Dundee fud    Bigmouth Strikes Again ,  really   Jim Spence. on the Saturday pre match Show! anything better than Garry Bollan and everybody called TAM! 

Not sure the bbc can afford my appearance fee 

The big thing with Callum is his willingness to shift blame onto his players. It’s weak management and I resent it bitterly. He’s an arrogant b*****d imo.

I knew him personally in the 90’s and this sums up what I thought of him then. I’ve met loads of people involved with the club over the years and only had 3 I didn’t like. He is one of them along with Roddy and Alan Kernaghan. Callum and Kernaghan were arrogant b*****ds and Roddy was thick as shit, they were all hard to deal with working in the licensed trade. 

I’ve been going to saints games since 1980 and this is the first time I’ve ever decided not to go to games. The football is really poor and the squad is getting weaker every season. We have taken a position of strength and turned it into celebrating a 2-4 win in Elgin which is pretty disappointing stuff.

The recruitment has been shite although I think Drey, Jamie Murphy and Carey are decent signings to supplement the squad. They shouldn’t be our marquee signings given what has been achieved over the last 10-12 years. 

My conclusion is that Callum is out of his depth but thinks otherwise because he’s an arrogant little p***k. His background staff are all arse licking him and the directors are walking into a disaster because of the 2 cups. Thanks for the cups but please leave before you relegate us. 

14 minutes ago, Center half said:

Detroit67 , get  tree house Tam,  Kyle  and SLF from WAP who you Know! also get the Dundee fud    Bigmouth Strikes Again ,  really   Jim Spence. on the Saturday pre match Show! anything better than Garry Bollan and everybody called TAM! 

That would be box office 😂

Surreal day. Anyway, here’s how the squad is looking. 

Goalkeepers

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Ryan McGowan - 2024

Daniel Cleary - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on loan from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Graham Carey - 2024

Jamie Murphy - 2023 + 1

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023 - on loan at Linfield 

Theo Bair - 2024

Offered New Deals 

Zander Clark

Released/left the club 

Shaun Rooney (Fleetwood Town)

Efe Ambrose 

Jamie McCart (Rotherham United)

Sam Denham (East Fife)

Craig Bryson (Stenhousemuir)

Liam Craig (stays on as a coach) 

Jacob Butterfield (Scunthorpe)

Jordan Northcott (Brechin City)

Nadir Ciftci

Jahmal Hector-Ingram 

Callum Hendry (Salford City) 

Loans Expired

Glenn Middleton

Tom Sang

4 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Spence would take up the 2 hour airtime with a monologue about his days consulting for Dundee United.

I’d expect one of the other boys to knock him out when he started that monologue 😂

probably Tam

Edited by Meesterrodriguez

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Signing players over the age of thirty is not an issue.

Filling your team with them is. Goodwin identified that problem at Pittodrie immediately.

This is it, really.

Yet saying that as a Saints supporter is forbidden in certain places.