Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

39 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

If the plan is for sinclair to go on loan for a season then come back and hopefully be number one then bringing this guy in on loan this season, after 24 games in EFL1 last season looks not a bad move against some of the names touted? An interesting one!

What's to say it is just a loan.....

Those 3 clubs are much more high profile than we are to be fair. Boy has played a lot of football for a 23 year (although a lot of it seems to have come when he was much younger). 

Honestly a much higher standard than I’ve been fearing, although probably still another downgrade on what’s left. 

Loan or not, so long as we're not relying on Parish as our number 1. 

He'll probably end up being rotten anyway, but I'm honestly beyond caring anymore and the league season hasn't even started. 

49 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Take what you will from this one stat in isolation but looking at it he played 24 times for Doncaster & Gillingham in league One last season and conceded 46 goals?! 

7 of those were in 1 game tbf.

15 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

What's to say it is just a loan.....

They signed him for over £3m, it seems.

Daniel Bachmann was the last Watford reserve keeper to come up to Scotland and that worked out pretty well for all parties involved. Happily take a chance on a 6’4 internationalist rather than McCrorie or god forbid Parish. 

40 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Honestly a much higher standard than I’ve been fearing, although probably still another downgrade on what’s left. 

Yeah he seems a gamble worth taking, at this stage. 

I just hope they have a plan for January if hes recalled. Maybe be a case of how Sinclair gets on wherever he ends up.

18 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

The gift that keeps giving. What is that last paragraph all about?

575FEDF5-95CE-4AC1-96AB-FA172BA3C431.jpeg

Strong Richard Keys vibes. I'm now imagining being mocked by younger office colleagues in 25 years' time, thinking: "That'll teach me for criticising the signing of Jamie Murphy..."

Aye but the fanny is totally missing the point. Baltacha in modern terms would be like us signing some one with 60+ caps and that had come from a top team. Football and wages in particular have moved on. Yes the whole post is total nonsense and I don’t for a minute think saints fans are annoyed by the ages of the players, more the fact we know that half of them are completely done in and coining a wage now. 

Yes. Let's compare the absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer Sergei Baltacha with a completely finished Andy Considine. 

There's always outliers and we've had some great guys over 30 play big roles for the club. But the Davidson philosophy is absolutely scattergun and a waste of money. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

The gift that keeps giving. What is that last paragraph all about?

575FEDF5-95CE-4AC1-96AB-FA172BA3C431.jpeg

People these days seem so polarised by form of any debate. 

If you say something that's seen as negative or you question something like "are Saints signing to many players in their mid 30s?" People jump straight to the extreme of you hate them. 

When actually people have just raised a legitimate concern about the clubs recruitment 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Aye but the fanny is totally missing the point. Baltacha in modern terms would be like us signing some one with 60+ caps and that had come from a top team. Football and wages in particular have moved on. Yes the whole post is total nonsense and I don’t for a minute think saints fans are annoyed by the ages of the players, more the fact we know that half of them are completely done in and coining a wage now. 

Got to remember too, that he came in at a time where the game was much much less professional, drinking, bad eating habits etc and he came in as what we recognise as a modern professional.

I can't remember which player it was, but one of them was saying that when he came in, it lifted the tempo of the other players in training and they gained a lot from him. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Don’t know what everyone is on about I’m just glad to see Davidson if finally replacing the 19 mostly loan player we signed and then released last year with permanent ones ……makes total sense to me !!!!!

don’t have an issue with the over 30’s bit nowadays players probably take better care of themselves so it’s not a thing but it’s more the scatter gun to signings that we have at the moment 

Don’t generally have a bad opinion of over 30s because of their ability (although we’ve seen first hand how quickly players can lose their edge) my problem is there’s no resale value, they’re blocking our own youth/younger players from getting minutes on the pitch and they’re not motivated to win a move/big contract elsewhere. We’re not totally reliant on selling players every year or two, but it always helps the coffers for us to sell someone every now and then. 

I wouldn’t have an issue with any of these signings in isolation, but 5 players over 30 and two (probable) loans isn’t great for a club at our level.  

I think the manager wants players he can trust, and he seems to specifically go for players who he’s either played against or who have done it for years at this level. We’ve finally got a manager who’s even more risk averse than the board have been over the last 10 years or so, which is some going.