Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Ah. I thought that it was an announcement I'd not seen. 

It's just a general comment on our abysmal state. Fair enough. 

Its the fact we've needed to have a replacement GK and ST, and new DM, in place for about 8 months.

Instead hes presumably off the cuff decided to replace Cleary in the past week, or even worse thinks McGowan is the answer at DM.

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Wonder if McGowan has been signed to pay the RB/RWB role? He has experience of playing there also

I'd rather have Wright.

18 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Reading the last few pages and other 'content' (or should that be discontent) in the digisphere, are we are the stage of FCU 'Callum oot' tifos? Being an agricultural community we're well placed for pitchforks. 

As long as the chaos is disorganised as opposed to unorganised, I’m on board. 

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

As long as the chaos is disorganised as opposed to unorganised, I’m on board. 

I'm too auld for either. I might stand politely on the sidelines and hold a 'down with this sort of thing' type sign. As long as it's not cold outside.

Or I might just stay at home and have a cup of tea and tut a bit. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The biggest problem with McGowan isn’t that he is in his 30s, It’s that last time he played in Scotland he wasn’t very good in a team that got relegated. 

You might say he was even a key part in the worst Premiership side in history, maybe the 2 worst depending on how you rate that 2015-16 United side. All the best to McGowan on completing the Tayside relegation trifecta.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

16 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Wonder if McGowan has been signed to pay the RB/RWB role? He has experience of playing there also

Fucking hope not. We'll be even more inept going forward than we already are.

Davidson's formation (which isn't his favoured one supposedly, yet he continues to shoe-horn out of position players into it.......) relies on the wing backs providing the attacking width. Yet the only attacking wing-back we've had in the last 2 years has gone and been replaced by, at various times, an out and out right back, a defensive midfielder who can only pass backwards and sideways, and a headless chicken who's lost any ability he once had and now just runs into opposition players.  Might as well chuck another slow, defensive has-been into the mix. 

Just f**k off Callum. ☹️

6 minutes ago, Nelly78 said:

Fucking hope not. We'll be even more inept going forward than we already are.

Davidson's formation (which isn't his favoured one supposedly, yet he continues to shoe-horn out of position players into it.......) relies on the wing backs providing the attacking width. Yet the only attacking wing-back we've had in the last 2 years has gone and been replaced by, at various times, an out and out right back, a defensive midfielder who can only pass backwards and sideways, and a headless chicken who's lost any ability he once had and now just runs into opposition players.  Might as well chuck another slow, defensive has-been into the mix. 

Just f**k off Callum. ☹️

He played Ali McCann there too. 

4 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

He played Ali McCann there too. 

In fairness was that not due to injuries?  Fairly sure McCann used to play there and has subsequently done so for Preston too 

40 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Don’t rule this out…

Wouldn't be shocked. He'll claim McGowan replacing Bryson/Butterfield shows him lowering the squad size and average age.

31 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

You might say he was even a key part in the worse Premiership side in history, maybe the 2 worst depending on how you rate that 2015-16 United side. All the best to McGowan on completing the Tayside relegation trifecta.

Im sure the 3 years since playing for Dundee, spent in *checks notes* Australia and Kuwait will have sharpened him up. We're definitely not chucking a 2yr deal at an ageing player whos going to struggle with the pace of the game like Butterfield did, thats for sure!

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Surely some of the ardent Davidson fan boys can put up a defence for this summers recruitment? Come on guys,  give us some positive perspective as I can’t identify any at all. 

eXpErIEncE oF tHE lEaGUe!!

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

Sorry, but no, it doesn't toughen us up, it weakens us. Cleary should have been sent off v Motherwell last season and might have been sent off in another couple of matches.  He is a liability.   Look at the 2014 back four  - all hard as nails but able to channel their aggression properly.  Didn't see them having any Cleary/Rooney moments either.  They won together and lost together.  They were more likely to take the piss out of each other than fall out  - I recall a match where Ando fell and broke his thumb, he was clearly in agony but Dave and Fraz were pissing themselves.  Cleary is a hot head who will get sent off too many times. 

I’m in agreement. I like Cleary but he’s gotten very lucky a few times. 

McGowan and GMS signed in the next 24hrs, wouldnt be shocked as names tend to leak out pretty close to them signing just now.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure the 3 years since playing for Dundee, spent in *checks notes* Australia and Kuwait will have sharpened him up.

To be very (maybe overly?) fair to him, he did captain Sydney FC to an A League title, though how much of that was him is not clear to me as I believe he joined the squad quite late.

What the actual f**k is this guy doing? We don’t need fucking McGowan! Average footballer and I always remember him being a bit of a c**t on the pitch.

As others have said, it’s like we’re signing players you might have taken 5-10 years ago. 

Mackay-Steven is another. He ripped us apart at times when he was with United years ago but I take it those days are gone for him too?

I made a smart-arse comment a week or two ago about folk being overly negative. Well I’m apologising for that now because I can see that others were seeing what I refused to at the time. 

My head is well and truly gone. Truly raging at this signing. What the hell is going on? Where does he fit in? Is he actually ditching Cleary after a red card in an ‘early season’ game? Surely not?

How is this guy allowed to sign all this dross as if adding these players will make any difference, when Tommy had targets and was rarely allowed to bring them in when he wanted?

The point about Broon taking the step back and all this now happening may well be correct. 

f**k this.

34 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

To be very (maybe overly?) fair to him, he did captain Sydney FC to an A League title, though how much of that was him is not clear to me as I believe he joined the squad quite late.

He won a title in Kuwait too, which is presumably what we'll get peddled at us. "Winner mentality" or something.

These things happen when you play for the most successful clubs in countries though, it rarely translates well to joining a side who'll have 12% possession and Ali Crawford protecting the midfield.