Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

the fact that somebody at the club has sanctioned this is slightly worrying. 

Steve Brown stepping back seems to have been horrendously timed.

Considering the way he challenged TW you cant imagine hed be just accepting all this.

Presumably Boyd and the Binn skips guy just nod their head at everything.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who are the experienced players even mentoring?

Carey and Max is fine, but whos learning off Considine/McGowan? Whos learning off Muzz? 

Our "inexperienced" squad members are generally into their mid-20s now. Max is our only outfield player under 22.

And players in their mid 20's cannot learn from.more experienced pro's? I'd imagine Mahon, Cleary, Gallacher and Brown would all benefit from a senior pro either guiding them through games or off the pitch. Ballatyne and Max could learn loads from Muzz.

Sometimes it's not just on the pitch etc these guys need to learn, but also conduct off it. As per other points, Cleary needs someone to be taking him aside and telling him to calm down. You reckon Considine for example won't have had a word with him? 

Listen, I think some of the signings we have made are not what we need and aren't good enough and that Davidsons time is up, but there is a few heads gone out there. We are not signing guys who are 32/33 and have been playing lower leagues and know no better, these are experienced pro's many with international caps. As we all know, it can be often about the characters and influences of players as well as what they bring in the pitch. Listen to any player and they will all tell you that they learnt throughout their careers and asuch if not more from the senior players around them.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Steve Brown stepping back seems to have been horrendously timed.

Considering the way he challenged TW you cant imagine hed be just accepting all this.

Presumably Boyd and the Binn skips guy just nod their head at everything.

Like most things there’s a middle ground which is probably the correct way to do things. A lot of people criticised Steve Brown, myself included, but what you’d give for a bit of his ‘ penny pinching’ now

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

At least that's a somewhat exciting signing?

Improvement on Glenn as well 

It's all about context. It would be a dreadful signing (much like the McGowan signing would be) based on the fact that we've already got more than enough options who play in the same position, we've already got more than enough players of a certain vintage, and we urgently need to conserve our funds for priority positions like GK, CDM and ST.

37 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

It's all about context. It would be a dreadful signing (much like the McGowan signing would be) based on the fact that we've already got more than enough options who play in the same position, we've already got more than enough players of a certain vintage, and we urgently need to conserve our funds for priority positions like GK, CDM and ST.

I’d be preserving funds to bag Davidson. 

32 minutes ago, Bankfoot Saints said:

Don’t know what everyone is on about I’m just glad to see Davidson if finally replacing the 19 mostly loan player we signed and then released last year with permanent ones ……makes total sense to me !!!!!

The loan market can make a huge difference to the team if you do your due diligence and get the correct ones in - Ronan, Simms, Levitt, Hungbo for example, all had a big impact. Davidson seems to merely ask his pals at other clubs which shite youngster they want to get off their books for a season, or sign guys over 30 who used to be decent several years ago. It all just looks so lazy and half-arsed from the club.

For a club like Saints its always hard to attract that known, proven talent as we are all well aware of.

Other clubs have had reasonable success with alternative route recruitment wise. Take chances on players or recruit from some more obscure places. Like we tried doing last season. Eetu, Bair etc.

Look the success ICT had around 2015 from signing obscure nobodies.

I presume though after a few failed attempts that route has just been abandoned completely now?

If so, disappointing. While it's never going to bring you 100% success That's how you identify someone out of nowhere and sell for profit. 

It's like we've just dismissed it and gone in the polar opposite direction completely.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

The sad thing is, I probably would have been willing to show a bit more patience with Davidson (not at this point, but maybe a few months ago) if he had displayed a bit of humility in the past year. His deficiencies are more than just 'ineptitude as a football manager'. He has come across as a very unlikeable individual. Who would want to play for that and who would want to support that? Tragically, I fear that his legacy has already been tarnished beyond repair.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

And players in their mid 20's cannot learn from.more experienced pro's? I'd imagine Mahon, Cleary, Gallacher and Brown would all benefit from a senior pro either guiding them through games or off the pitch. Ballatyne and Max could learn loads from Muzz.

Dan Cleary is 26, has almost 200 senior appearances including games in the Europa League. Mahon has over 100 senior games.

Brown turns 25 this season.

They can all learn from more experienced players yes, but thay needs to be supplemented with regular games. As it is hes seemingly signed 30+yo to sit the younger players in the stand. I dont see the point in that, it should be the other way.

Murray Davidson is the last person id want teaching young players how to act away from the game.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Aye Cleary and Rooney especially last season looked like they wanted to throttle each other every few minutes. I don't mind having someone with a bit of bite and aggression in the team, far from it, but it needs to be channelled correctly. Cleary is obviously a hot head who needs to learn not to get wound up. That being said we've let teams bully us for seasons now, so if it toughens us up, so be it.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't toughen us up, it weakens us. Cleary should have been sent off v Motherwell last season and might have been sent off in another couple of matches.  He is a liability.   Look at the 2014 back four  - all hard as nails but able to channel their aggression properly.  Didn't see them having any Cleary/Rooney moments either.  They won together and lost together.  They were more likely to take the piss out of each other than fall out  - I recall a match where Ando fell and broke his thumb, he was clearly in agony but Dave and Fraz were pissing themselves.  Cleary is a hot head who will get sent off too many times. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Heads gone.

Is this in reference to anything in particular?

McGowan / GMS would surprise absolutely nobody.

On paper it's a good move for G S Brown to get into the retirement home game, it's a lucrative and growing market. You'd expect them to do that through the construction and development bususiness rather than the football team though. 

Reading the last few pages and other 'content' (or should that be discontent) in the digisphere, are we are the stage of FCU 'Callum oot' tifos? Being an agricultural community we're well placed for pitchforks. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Is this in reference to anything in particular?

How shit our squad is, and how much shit he continues to add to it, yet some folk still just refuse to see it because they presumably dont think anything bad can happen to St Johnstone. 

In 2yrs we have all the ancients contracts expiring at the same time as the younger players who, if Davidson sticks to his guns, will have been sat on their arse that entire time. Folk can see whats going to happen when they try to extend those deals dont they?

In 2yrs theres a massive chance we're in the Championship and trying to sign an entire squad.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

How shit our squad is, and how much shit he continues to add to it, yet some folk still just refuse to see it because they presumably dont think anything bad can happen to St Johnstone. 

In 2yrs we have all the ancients contracts expiring at the same time as the younger players who, if Davidson sticks to his guns, will have been sat on their arse that entire time. Folk can see whats going to happen when they try to extend those deals dont they?

In 2yrs theres a massive chance we're in the Championship and trying to sign an entire squad.

Ah. I thought that it was an announcement I'd not seen. 

It's just a general comment on our abysmal state. Fair enough. 

Surely some of the ardent Davidson fan boys can put up a defence for this summers recruitment? Come on guys,  give us some positive perspective as I can’t identify any at all.