Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

It's going to be McGowan and someone like McNulty or Mullen, isn't it? ☹️ 

Like Radford said, I'm now at the apathy/acceptance stage that this season is going to be utter shite until Davidson gets punted. My 8 year old was still at the anger stage after that shit show in Dumfries, so that was a fun drive home! 😆 

The journalists reporting it virtually confirm Ryan McGowan is our next signing.

More than likely a 2yr deal too.

Will that be 5 over 30s contracted for next season? Then Wotherspoon who'll likely get an extended deal too.

Edited by RandomGuy.

It honestly feels like Davidson is working through a list of players that Tommy Wright wanted to sign 6-7 years ago.

All those summers where Wright said “we’ve identified targets and I’ll just need to wait and see if we get players out/what the chairman can do”, it’s like they’ve just got round to them.

Thing I’m most worried about now is Saint Mirren being organised and sensible and punting Robinson early doors and saints being left for dead, as Davidson is given another window to turn it around. 

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

What is the fucking point?

Honestly would rather have been relegated, and gotten a new manager will to give the younger players some freedom to play.

A full season watching past it players stumble around the park while we're expected to clap like seals at finishing 11th again.

I hate the thought of being viewed as someone who is always negative or doing the club down. I don't believe I have excessive expectations and they are never really based around league placings or success. 

There was a post on WAP last night claiming that those that post on forums are out of step with the majority of the support. You always wonder whether that is the case but then when people you know are saying and feeling a lot of the same things (and don't post on forums) then can it really be the case? Does anyone have a group of friends who are more pro-Davidson than against him?

You have to learn from history. I remember backing Sandy Clark until almost the end (ironically one of his biggest critics on the old mailing list was Robert Thomson) and clearly with hindsight (although not helped by replacing him with Billy Stark) we waited too long and latterly allowed him to do extra damage with his signings. Can't help but feel the same is happening again and, to get to the point, Ryan McGowan only emphasises that. 

Has the manager realised we have one striker available? Instead he's going to spend money on a sixth centre back, presumably so he can just sideline one of the others that he has signed within the past 6 months on deals that run until 2024.

When will this be over? 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly would rather have been relegated, and gotten a new manager will to give the younger players some freedom to play.

I said that at the time. It was horrible to wish relegation on the club as people behind scenes could have lost jobs but the club needed to rebuild. Instead we've just applied multiple sticking plasters as a result of maintaining our Premiership status. How often are Ballantyne, Kucheriavyi etc... gonna play this season? 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

I hate the thought of being viewed as someone who is always negative or doing the club down. I don't believe I have excessive expectations and they are never really based around league placings or success. 

There was a post on WAP last night claiming that those that post on forums are out of step with the majority of the support. You always wonder whether that is the case but then when people you know are saying and feeling a lot of the same things (and don't post on forums) then can it really be the case? Does anyone have a group of friends who are more pro-Davidson than against him?

You have to learn from history. I remember backing Sandy Clark until almost the end (ironically one of his biggest critics on the old mailing list was Robert Thomson) and clearly with hindsight (although not helped by replacing him with Billy Stark) we waited too long and latterly allowed him to do extra damage with his signings. Can't help but feel the same is happening again and, to get to the point, Ryan McGowan only emphasises that. 

Has the manager realised we have one striker available? Instead he's going to spend money on a sixth centre back, presumably so he can just sideline one of the others that he has signed within the past 6 months on deals that run until 2024.

When will this be over? 

I dont know a single person who is pro and happy with how the team have been performing under Davidson. 

The mass Booing week in week out also confirms the fans strong feelings. That isn't the minority booing. Anyone believing or claiming that is showing a state of delusion. The person who posted that on WAP is suffering from some weird Davidson related Stockholm Syndrome and needs help.

Fans hope he'll turn it around but very few believe that has a realistic chance of happening. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

The damage was done last season with Davidson's relationship with the fans, there was literally zero he could do to win back the majority. The fact he hid behind Zander on his lap around the park shows he's scared of the fans reaction and what they really think. So in his head it's already too late and he may as well just stick to his guns and completely compound our misery.

Can only agree with Radford, the longer this goes on the more the period we're fucked for is extended.

If we'd changed after the Celtic game on Boxing Day, we'd have avoided the January guff / extensions. If after Kelty or end of the season, the recent dad's army signings.

It's now going to be difficult for any new manager to do a significant overhaul before summer 2023, and there's plenty of rubbish signed up till 2024 as well. 

To be fair to Davidson he brought in the 'cup dividend' but it's very quickly being pissed away on a bloated, aging squad, and almost certainly a low league position.

Edited by monkfish

While some of the signings so far have been pretty uninspiring and ideally, you dont want to be contuinually signing older players, it is worth keeping in mind that a player of say 32 now, is not really comparable to what many have in mind of a 32 year old in years gone by. Fitness levels etc are so much better now, so by no means over the hill. Equally, some players do burn out at an earlier age, while others can seem as fit as ever so long as they have looked after themselves.

Murphy, Carey and if as expected McGowan all seem like they have retained a decent level of fitness that say Ciftci at a younger age clearly hadn't.

I'd still expect one more 'experienced' player on top of what we have, but likely a couple of more 'mid aged' professionals in the 24-28 age range.

If (and it may be a bit if), we don't have a horror show of a season, you could see some of the guys in the team learning loads from the experienced pro's, for example, I see Considine as a great example for how Gordon can play out his career at Saints, Max can learn a lot from Carey, Muzz and crucially Spoony. The examples are already there, Ali McCann, Jason Kerr and Zander Clark can all point to 'mentors' at the club as they were developing.

The key part now is adding the quality players in amongst the squad at the right age and that might mean just 1-2 extra of the right sort of player. 

My primary objection to signing the 'old' players in their mid 30s isn't the signings themselves necessarily (although they do show a disappointing lack of forward planning despite the valid justifications put forward by yellowbox) - the biggest issue is the 2 year deals.

We all know players in their mid 30s can deteriorate rapidly and in some cases mid-season. In Considine's case it seems to have happened before he was signed. 1 year gambles on the such a player who can benefit the club in the variety of ways listed is fine. 2 year deals to players who could be toast in months is totally unacceptable.  

Parish

McGowan - Considine - Booth

MOH - Crawford - Davidson - Wotherspoon - Carey

Murphy - May

By the end of the year we could field a full 11 of over 30s.

33 minutes ago, Radford said:

How often are Ballantyne, Kucheriavyi etc... gonna play this season? 

Ballantyne hasnt even had much of a chance so far. 

Max will get chances until Wotherspoon returns ir he makes a mistake. 

17 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

The examples are already there, Ali McCann, Jason Kerr and Zander Clark can all point to 'mentors' at the club as they were developing.

And TW was great at removing the "mentors" to give young players a chance to breathe and grow when they deserved it, not bringing in over 30s to keep players in their 20s out the side.