Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

The positive is that we scored 4 goals and that will give each of the scorers some confidence, but a real worry is how easy Elgin cut us open. In the league, this will really cost us.

MOH at RWB meant we had more forward movement, so if the end game is for Wright to play there, then that would give us good balance on both sides. Montgomery probably best Saints player.

Expecting a few extra signings in the next 72 hours, so a few of the issues will be getting rectified.

Just because we make a few signings it won't necessarily mean any issues are rectified.   Davidson hasn't shown that he can be trusted to make good signings. 

9 hours ago, mizfit said:

What’s happened? You seemed fairly competent last season.

I think that some of it is down to Robinson still tinkering with the formation and deciding his "best" first XI.

However, by and large the lack of desire to win and lack of shape and coherent passing isn't helping.

Since the Linfield game, where looked O.K., we've been rotten. I don't think we've forced a meaningful save out of the opposition 'keeper in our past three games.

Make no mistake. If this continues it will be between us and yourselves for the relegation spot.

Defending was very worrying last night against a striker who needed to bring no more than hard running to the table.

Football is about finding the balance between structure and fluidity/initiative. Saints have neither. We don't seem to know how to work the ball into good areas as a platform but don't have the freedom to at least look dangerous at times even without that.

I can see that the manager does want the team to play with more tempo but I don't think they can with the system and players we have. 

He's a man on death row and I wonder if deep down he knows it. 

Yeah theres still major issues.

Still too easy to expose our CBs. Either down the wings or central.

We still push our CMs too high and wide, leaving the unfortunate holding midfielder completely isolated when we lose the ball. Fortunately Elgin were shite in those areas.

We still compact too many players in the same areas and rely entirely on quick one touch passing to create chances. Neither are sustainable and both will reduce in impact when playing against better sides. 

I think there were glimmers of hope last night in terms of what the squad could offer individually, especially in attack, but still deeply unsure the manager can effectively set us up to getbthe most out of them, especially when we hit league games and he gets more cautious. I think he saw last nights line up as gung-ho.

I guess if there's a positive we can take (I'm trying!!!) from last couple of games. We're looking more interesting going forward - more goals?! Hopefully that'll make games more exciting generally. 

Even if instead of the inevitable 1-0 defeat we're occasionally involved in a 3-2 defeat 😂

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I guess if there's a positive we can take (I'm trying!!!) from last couple of games. We're looking more interesting going forward - more goals?! Hopefully that'll make games more exciting generally. 

Even if instead of the inevitable 1-0 defeat we're occasionally involved in a 3-2 defeat 😂

With that defence it'll definitely be more than 3.

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I think its a benefit of playing weaker sides, tbh.

Cant comment on QOS but Annan/Elgin both allowed us to attack how we wanted so we could fail multiple times yet still have plenty of chances to create something. You then have 2 goals yesterday coming from May absolutely sclaffing a shot which you presume wont happen often.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think its a benefit of playing weaker sides, tbh.

Cant comment on QOS but Annan/Elgin both allowed us to attack how we wanted so we could fail multiple times yet still have plenty of chances to create something. You then have 2 goals yesterday coming from May absolutely sclaffing a shot which you presume wont happen often.

That's a massive frustration I have with May. Why does he now shoot like he's never seen a football before? 🫤 

I don't believe it's the injury either as surely that wouldn't stop you from not completely miss hitting everything?!

11 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

That's a massive frustration I have with May. Why does he now shoot like he's never seen a football before? 🫤 

I don't believe it's the injury either as surely that wouldn't stop you from not completely miss hitting everything?!

Tbf he was never a clean hitter of the ball, i think.

As in consistently good. There were moments where he caught it oerfect but more often he'd have a poor contact. I think hes technically stronger now than he was in 13/14 in certain ways, but still poor at actually hitting the ball. Like he struggles to hit the ball right if he takes his eye off it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

41 minutes ago, Costanza said:

If our main striker is struggling to kick the ball then that might be a bit of an issue.

I think last night showed we need wing backs with a final product and pace, a holding midfielder who can pass forward, and a striker other than Bair who can he a focal point.

But i think everyone already knew that.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think last night showed we need wing backs with a final product and pace, a holding midfielder who can pass forward, and a striker other than Bair who can he a focal point.

Not everyone...

skysports-callum-davidson-davidson_5614904.jpg

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I also saw the crying need for a left-sided CB that didn't look like someone's kicked away their zimmer frame.

And as we all know, a goalkeeper. 

So that's only 6 or so upgrades needed to keep us in the league. 

Edit alternatively if we signed a decent holding mid and a GC we've probably got a passable 4-3-3 with the squad we have. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

7 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I also saw the crying need for a left-sided CB that didn't look like someone's kicked away their zimmer frame.

And as we all know, a goalkeeper. 

So that's only 6 or so upgrades needed to keep us in the league. 

Ive given up expecting him to replace Considine there tbh, and live in hope we move to a back four and see him plopped in as fourth choice.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive given up expecting him to replace Considine there tbh, and live in hope we move to a back four and see him plopped in as fourth choice.

Alternatively, you play the back 5 and Considine plays centrally, but deeper. I think he adds something to the side, but we cannot have him chasing a player that has gone by him as he'll never get there, but he does bring some organisation and is better with the ball at his feet than any of our other CD options.