Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

This is well worth a read, lots of interesting and balanced points with a fair bit of insider info we didn’t know about. Among other things it reveals the manager considered Callum Hendry to be more of a no 10 than a no 9 and that’s part of why he didn’t think he needed him.. which is a pretty astonishing revelation as why on earth would he think that?

13 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

This is well worth a read, lots of interesting and balanced points with a fair bit of insider info we didn’t know about. Among other things it reveals the manager considered Callum Hendry to be more of a no 10 than a no 9 and that’s part of why he didn’t think he needed him.. which is a pretty astonishing revelation as why on earth would he think that?

Some great insight into Davidson among other points that are very well made.

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Very well written article and bang on.

Being defensive and hard to beat has its place, but to the point where you’re afraid to go out and attempt to win matches, it’s always going to hinder you.

If that comment about Callum Hendry is accurate then that should be an instant dismissal.  He’s the most centre forwardy number 9 striker you can get. 

I had hoped that playing down the fact we were still in the hunt for a striker was simply to prevent agents pumping up wages and fees when they sense our desperation as happened in January.  We do have a habit of waiting late in windows to make signings so time will tell.  
We surely can’t go another season being such low goal scorers and doing nothing about it.. I think 60 goals in 76 league games is our record over the past 2 seasons.

Knowing we needed a new keeper for 7/8 months then ending up with a 25yo loanee we've no chance of having long term is very Davidson, so it sounds like a go-er.

Livingston fans are fairly scathing about him. 

We're in for him too. The fans are split on him , how do your lot feel about him?

I’d take him. Got to be better than any of the other ones were linked with.

Yesterday, So Gilmour is playing RWB!  We have the initial kick off ! Now for the last 25/30 years we pass the ball back and punt it up the Right side about to the opposition 18 yard line and we have a challenge and hope we win a throw-in. 50% success rate i would suggest!

He has to be told just as we  kick off what to do ? So even if he has not been instructed to do so you would think he has watched enough games to realise that we do???

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Although the article is a decent read it's also one mans version of events. The bits about Callum being livid about the sales is only him livid that it was in a released statement and not at the actual decisions, mainly because he was involved in those. 

Not the version of events I’d heard either. No doubt Davidson trying to put out an ‘alternative truth’  to protect himself, again. 

33 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Was he not previously quoted as saying "you can't stand in players ways with opportunities like that come along"

That was the line at the time. A decision he was 100% a part of

His comments, on the 3rd of September, were...

But despite the chaos and disappointment of the final day, the Saints boss reckons they still did the RIGHT thing by allowing their skipper and star man to head south.  

He said: “I was probably a bit more disappointed to lose Ali due to the nature of the timing.

“But that’s football.

“Both boys wanted to go. These were life-changing moves.

“People will say that we could have held on to Ali for another window but you can’t choose when an opportunity comes along.

“The deals wouldn’t have gone through if it hadn’t been for the sell-ons.

“They’re massive for the club.

“I believe that they will go on to bigger and better things.

“I obviously spoke to Ali and he was desperate to go.

“Both players absolutely loved it at St Johnstone and that did make it hard for them to leave.

“But they knew that football-wise these were great moves for both of them.

“The timing was unfortunate because we didn’t really have any contact from the clubs until the last day of the window.

“With Ali’s one, I was just about to go home. I thought it wasn’t going to happen – that was late into the night.

“I didn’t think I’d lose him all window or even on that last night.

“Ultimately decisions like this do lie with the money men.

“We’ve had the Covid situation for 18 months. It’s about doing what’s right for the club and the players."

He then continues on to MacPherson.

“What I would say is, I would still have gone for Cammy MacPherson even if this had happened a couple of weeks ago.

“I believe he’s a top young player. I’ve been keeping an eye on him for a while.

“I could have done other things as well, though."

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Having a keeper on on loan from either of the OF is a terrible decision. As it forces the inclusion of Parish on too many occasions and he's not up to it in any way.

It’s a bizarre policy.  It means that presumably your best keeper (although old firm young players are notoriously overrated) can’t play in four of the biggest games of the season, and you need to play a keeper not deemed good enough.   

As much as I think Davidson should go - and I absolutely do - my main anger on Saturday was with the players.   Whatever we think of the tactics/system, it doesn't matter when professional players adopt the attitude that most of our shower of shite did on Saturday.   They should be fucking ashamed of themselves.  I can absolutely take losing a game (I'm a Saints fan FFS), but I  fucking hate when players clearly don't give a f**k. And to many of this lot don't give a f**k. As always,  I will have recovered by Saturday and will be at the Ayr game (can't make Elgin on Tuesday), but by f**k this lot are testing my patience more than any team since Stark's.  Too many fucking shysters. There's no Mackay, Weir, Jody or Frazer in this lot. No real leaders and not enough personal pride. 

Back to Davidson - thanks Callum,  but it's time to go.