Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Luckily he's just a short term 1yr deal to cover us, and isn't expected to be first choice or expected to contribute next season.

Is that sarcasm? The saints TV website has reported it variously as a 2 year deal and one year with an option, albeit without saying who has the option. 

Just now, FrankChickens1 said:

Is that sarcasm? 

Yes.

I'm well aware he's on a 2yr deal and is going to start every week.

18 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Who do we get if he goes?

Someone from outwith the club, I think. Everything needs a reset and Craig/MacLean aren't close to ready IMO.

Issue is we've allowed Davidson to build this squad now, and tie it down for years, so anyone coming would have to work with it as there's little to no wiggle room left. 

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Steve Bright on the St Johnstone Banter page. Jesus Christ. The epitome of sanctimonious happy-clapping.

You'll be stunned to hear he works for the Scottish Sun.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Far from it. No idea where our goals will come from.

Honestly think he's going to drop Bair for May.

Who do we get if he goes?

I said last night to someone that I feel Davidson either walks mid season or we sit comfortably 9th with a season of Meh. No in between. If he goes I suspect we may see Kevin Thomson as a favourite for the job….which is not an appointment I want.

24 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Steve Bright on the St Johnstone Banter page. Jesus Christ. The epitome of sanctimonious happy-clapping.

Makes me cringe, as does the manager’s pet journalist. Imagine having such little self respect that you sell yourself like that.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's going to get ripped apart at LCB with Montgomery outside him. 

Agree, that's what I meant by him not getting as easy a ride soon. Damning with very faint praise but my point was that performance-wise, he wasn't a particularly weak link last night. Penalty aside, but we should never have been at penalties. 

9 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Makes me cringe, as does the manager’s pet journalist. Imagine having such little self respect that you sell yourself like that.

The lack of self-respect is even more evident when you bear in mind that the club have kicked his shit mascot out of the building and replaced him with a man in a generic dog costume.

45 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

f**k me what tedious man he is. The boy Jason a pain in the arse too. 

14 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Forgot about that w**k. 

Bright has put up another excruciatingly cringeworthy post in the last half an hour too…

For those not on FB....

Spoiler

Here we go again... I’m not sure how much of this I can take this season, and I fear it’s only going to get worse.

The football? Naw – I'm not talking about that. I meant the bullshine negativity that couldnae wait to be broadcast courtesy of those ‘loyal’ (look the word up, guys) fans, salivating at an early chance to carry on where they left off last season, sticking the boot in at every opportunity.

Yes, we lost another game, albeit by the lottery that is a penalty shoot-out. Yes, it was disappointing, and no, it wasn’t the result any of us hoped for. That’s the extent of my own negativity – I don’t want to hurl verbal abuse at anyone at the club, or demand resignations, decapitations, or witch-hunts. I’d rather look at the positives, and there were some... even for the whiners, though they appear to have missed any of that in their rush to their keyboards.

First, it was a lovely warm evening for football. Always a plus, don’t you think? No? Ah, well – can't please everyone.

We have a new pitch. It may still need a little bedding in, but it’s infinitely better than the one we played on last season. It’s flat and lush, and green all over. Something to be happy about? No? Ah, well...

Plenty of new(ish) faces to the starting line-up, and more to come on later. Gotta be happy about that. No? Hmmmm.

And lots of passing. In fact, I don’t actually recall a single ‘hoof up the park’ from Saints in the entire game. Something the nay-sayers have been crying out for, for....well, almost as long as I can remember. In fact, I even remember a couple of times at least last night where I was shouting “Hit it long!” to no avail. Contrary to popular belief, a well-hit long pass is a joy to behold, and an entirely legitimate tactic in the game (personally I find the ‘tiki taka’ game utterly boring, and have always preferred the German ‘mix and match’ model). So they’ll obviously be happy, yes? No? Aw, c’mon!

We came close to scoring on a number of occasions (yes, yes – I freely admit that isn’t quite as good as actually scoring), and dominated the game for long spells, even after the first red card. With a little luck, we could have won the game comfortably, even with ten men. We didn’t get that luck, sadly.

Nor did we play as well as we might have done, but there were encouraging signs for a first competitive game of the season (did you miss those, guys?) and thanks to that new pitch (the one that's already getting a slagging from some), we passed the ball with confidence better than I saw through most of last season, and at times there were some pretty inventive plays up front that on another day might yield a better result, as the team (like the pitch) beds in. Annan provide only one heart-stopping moment throughout the game, with an audacious opportunist breakaway that their player took almost full advantage of, but ran out of steam before the final shot, thankfully. Other than that, they never looked like scoring, and we were never in danger of actually losing in normal time, unlike they were. Yes? No? Hmmmm.

If anyone’s sitting with the fingers poised, eager to type the words “happy clapper”, let me say I wasn’t happy at all with the one thing that I suspect prevented a fairly comfortable win last night. Dan Cleary is a good player, with a passionate and committed attitude, and I’ve enjoyed most of his contributions since he arrived at Saints. The passion took a wrong turn last night in a moment of pure madness/idiocy, call it what you will. I’m sure he doesn’t need to be told, just as I’m sure he WAS told after the game by his manager. I hope he learns from that, and becomes an even better player from it. The second red was simply unfortunate, with both players seemingly committed to the 50/50 challenge, then the Annan player ‘pulled out’ and that made his injury far worse than it would have been had he not... and also resulted in the red card for MacPherson. I have sympathy for him, but not Cleary. Had the first red card not happened, I’m pretty confident we’d all be having a very different day today.

But we’re still there – in ALL competitions, with everything to play for. And that’s the point, folks. If you’re determined to rip the team apart and sack the manager before we even kick the league off, then go ahead and fill your boots. We can have a rerun of the puerile nonsense on here that hallmarked last season’s Banter performance, where some of us suddenly gained an mysterious sense of entitlement, presumably spawned by the best season in our history, where we won twice as much as the 136 years that preceded it combined. Or we can have measured constructive criticism when needed, a few laughs at our own expense (always needed!), and get behind the team... to push them forward, not kick arses.

Make your choices.