Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On a mildly related note, I'm unsure why Pie & Bovril seems to be singled out as a home for knicker-wetters by the likes of Thomson, Nicolson and a small section of fans who are connected to the club. The general opinion about Callum Davidson seems to be the exact same on all forums and social media. It's just expressed less articulately and intelligently on those other platforms.

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

On a mildly related note, I'm unsure why Pie & Bovril seems to be singled out as a home for knicker-wetters by the likes of Thomson, Nicolson and a small section of fans who are connected to the club. The general opinion about Callum Davidson seems to be the exact same on all forums and social media. It's just expressed less articulately and intelligently on those other platforms.

Exactly. I see the same. There's even fans moaning about Davidson on Reddit.

It could just be that PnB is the most visible.

Its about to get tasty…

I see Nicholson has replied to this, not sure what planet that guy’s on. It’s very simple, if you don’t win points in your group you don’t progress to the next round…which means you are out of the cup. “Pre-season mode” my arse and I highly doubt that other managers are telling him that they are treating the competition in a similar fashion. Seems like he’s just making excuses for us being just a pish as we were last season. Stinking attitude towards one of the only two realistic major competitions we can win.

Treating it as pre season is a shite excuse, especially against part timers three leagues below. It was a real game with real consequences attached. Even if it was being treated as a fitness exercise you should still be winning that game - your base fitness level and superior ability should easily shine through.

The fact is that it wasn’t a surprising result. At all.

22 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Because it’s useful for them to make out it’s a minority of keyboard warriors when in reality it’s really not. The Davidson reign is moving towards ‘Downfall’ territory at this point. 

Notice Eric said the only time the group stages didn’t feel like pre-season friendlies was the year we won the competition because the league season had started. Phew, at least the cup double is intact, although still not as much of an achievement (in conjunction with finishing 5th in the league) as limping to 11th and beating a pretty average championship team in the play off final. 

27 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I’m going to hazard a guess that your Facebook fans are 1000x worse.  Ours are utterly insane.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Treating it as pre season is a shite excuse, especially against part timers three leagues below. It was a real game with real consequences attached. Even if it was being treated as a fitness exercise you should still be winning that game - your base fitness level and superior ability should easily shine through.

The fact is that it wasn’t a surprising result. At all.

The "glorified friendly" thing is a wee bit valid - only because there are four games in which the bigger teams should end up prevailing - and not that winning this tournament should be any less special.

It's the first time experiencing these sections for us and it feels like a bit of a halfway house between pre-season fitness exercise and a bit of interest/competitive football.

Sadly Glass' downfall began when he treated the knockout round the same way last year, due to it coming ahead of an important European tie.

Any videos going of Considine's pen - not sure I can recall him taking one before?

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

There shouldn't be a player in that saints squad who if fielded shouldn't be capable of beating Annan. No disrespect to Annan, but all of our players are full time. If they aren't capable, then why are they here. No manager, fan or journalist should excuse players not turning up. It's not a pre season friendly, it is competitive. 

Thing is, though every player in that squad IS capable of beating L2 opposition*. With only a couple of exceptions, it's full of players that have had more than enough game time at much, much higher levels than Scottish part-time. In fact when you stand back and look at it, it's astounding that probably our best player last night was the one with the least competitive experience at Premiership level,  indeed the least senior football experience full stop. 

I'm not in any way excusing players, nor am I saying that that our squad is particularly good, but the players certainly have the quality to have won comfortably last night. The fact that they didn't is, to me, all on the manager and the infrastructure at the club that put him there and continues to keep him in post. 

*Maybe not El Paz

6 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Any videos going of Considine's pen - not sure I can recall him taking one before?

Brace for incoming comedy .gifs

Thought the same last night. The guy's played for centuries but has probably only ever been asked to step up for a penalty a handful of times. I felt a bit sorry for him, before remembering he's a professional footballer that should be able to make a competent effort at a penalty kick. 

Saying all that though, he actually played pretty well I thought, apart from towards the end when he was absolutely done for pace by an Annan striker. He won't get anything like as easy a ride shortly though. 

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Saying all that though, he actually played pretty well I thought, apart from towards the end when he was absolutely done for pace by an Annan striker. He won't get anything like as easy a ride shortly though. 

He was exposed a few times but Annan didn't have the quality to exploit it. Combined with his rickety old legs struggling to sort themselves out and him tripping himself up right at the end, which we somehow got a free kick for.

He's going to get ripped apart at LCB with Montgomery outside him. 

Luckily he's just a short term 1yr deal to cover us, and isn't expected to be first choice or expected to contribute next season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Games: 7

Wins: 3

Draws: 3

Losses: 1

Our record under Davidson against lower league sides in the cups. No wins since Peterhead on 14th Nov 2020.

4 games since then (Dunfermline - Draw, Arbroath - Draw, Kelty - Loss, Annan - Draw).

To go from Wrights imperious lower league record to that is frankly stunning. Never had any fears of not winning with him in charge, can’t say the same now. The nails been hit on the head, we actually expected to not win against a team multiple leagues below us! 

15 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Stolen from Twitter. Tonight's programme

"Massive Step forward"

20220712_221617.jpg

The standard of English in this would annoy me much more than the turnip field of a pitch you seem to have. This reads like it's been through Google translate several times before it got to English.

Good luck lads.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Ours are struggling to comprehend why there isn’t a player for every squad number between 1 and 50.

Screenshot_20220713-132842_Facebook.thumb.jpg.89fcec543e5b47599379250137c686c8.jpg

Someone in the comments replying to posts criticising the performance because "there were some good headers out of defence"

16 minutes ago, Widge said:

To go from Wrights imperious lower league record to that is frankly stunning. Never had any fears of not winning with him in charge, can’t say the same now. The nails been hit on the head, we actually expected to not win against a team multiple leagues below us! 

Worth remembering if Annan beat Elgin on Saturday then we'll likely to need win 3 matches in a row to qualify.