Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Saints goalkeeper signing adjacent, were folk having me on when they said the boy who runs the Cherrybank is your GK coach?

His father was a goal keeper for Aston Villa and Luton Town as well Jake Findlay from Blairgowrie! 

57 minutes ago, Kyle said:

So you have to think the starting line up to start the league season will be (assuming everyone is fit)

Walker

Cleary Gordon Considine 

Wright Davidson Hallberg Montgomery 

Carey May Murphy  

Bair, Mahon, McPherson, Crawford probably the ones most likely to break into that

Kane, Wotherspoon Gallacher/Booth likely return to the team when fit. 

I wonder if people still think the head of recruitment was the problem.

We can't start the season with Stevie May as the focal point in attack. Fucking hell man, this is grim.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

So you have to think the starting line up to start the league season will be (assuming everyone is fit)

Walker

Cleary Gordon Considine 

Wright Davidson Hallberg Montgomery 

Carey May Murphy  

Bair, Mahon, McPherson, Crawford probably the ones most likely to break into that

Kane, Wotherspoon Gallacher/Booth likely return to the team when fit. 

I wonder if people still think the head of recruitment was the problem.

That is grim. Shades of the relegation season with Kemble etc. 

52 minutes ago, Costanza said:

We can't start the season with Stevie May as the focal point in attack. Fucking hell man, this is grim.

I agree. While May did look a bit sharper and fitter on Saturday if the manager is not making any other outfield signings a well as serious about getting a tune from Bair he needs to give him a run of games. You can't bring him in and just never give him a chance. He's shown in pre season he's up for the battle by the sounds of it so now is the time to show some faith after the patience he's shown.

By showing him some faith I hope that translates into confidence. A run of games I reckon would do him a lot of good, he doesn't feel the need to try to over play it in the bid to impress for example and simply just knowing the manager believes in you does wonders for someone's self belief!

Looked a threat on Saturday thats for sure. Caveat it being a friendly and all the ifs and buts that come with that though. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

We've not had a Nicolson article telling us that May wins more tackles and completes 2% more passes than Bair so is a better option, yet, so presumably the manager is planning to give Bair a run.

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Tbf, nobody knew Hemming would be as good as he is when we signed him on loan so no shame in Walker not being 1st choice.

For what it's worth, he's done very little wrong when he did started for Killie.

We can't afford average though. 

We scored 24 league goals last season and aren't replacing our top scorer, while going back to a shape/style that saw us score 9 goals in 19 home games with a double winning squad.

We only avoided bottom last season due to an outstanding keeper and outstanding striker.

We need our new first choice to win us points. Whatever folks thoughts on Parish are, whether he's just pish or low on confidence, its clear we can't rely on him for ant length of time. Walker has to come in and perform like a top half keeper.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've not had a Nicolson article telling us that May wins more tackles and completes 2% more passes than Bair so is a better option, yet, so presumably the manager is planning to give Bair a run.

I’m not reading any more of their apologetics. They aren’t impartial. I wonder if any of them have any investment in the club - I mean season tickets, travel home and away at their own expense, etc.

12 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I’m not reading any more of their apologetics. They aren’t impartial. I wonder if any of them have any investment in the club - I mean season tickets, travel home and away at their own expense, etc.

I like a lot of Nicolsons articles tbh, but there's a couple which are clearly just PR pieces from the manager. 

The article saying Drey Wright was going to be an upgrade on Shaun Rooney because he completed more passes was a low point. Clearly not something Nicolson believed and pumped out purely to prepare fans for Wright signing and to try and justify it.

53 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I'm not a journalist nor do I know the guys from the Courier but I doubt it's based on freebies and more about what he feels he should write professionally.

For example, what would be the benefit of him writing articles that are extremely negative for example berating Davidson? While that validates some of our views and based on some of the talk on the podcast they're as frustrated as you but i I don't think articles like that really add value. 

There's also access. If they do start battering the club and manager they simply won't get access to the manager and other staff for interviews - you then get no insight at all from within the club.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Given the various puff pieces (and to be fair the fact he's been scoring in friendlies, even if he should have had at least one more on Saturday) I think it's certain that the plan is for Bair to be 1st choice in the middle of a 3. Even James Brown is being wheeled out to big him up now. 

Where all this leaves Kane I'm not sure, but suspect that he'll be used when the manager wants to play a front 2.

Other than that I think that @Kylehas the intended stating lineup correct, which as others are pointing out means downgrades all over the pitch from the team that were a bawhair off relegation. 

Hoping against evidence that we'll somehow be more than the sum of our parts. 

Turns out Walker is with the same agency as Matt Macey, so there's a decent chance instead of trying to find one ourselves we've just asked them to find us a keeper.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

So this is what it's like supporting Dundee? Everyone raging at a totally inept management team, weird signings and a lack of coherent forward planning.

This is fucking brilliant. 

It's never boring, you have to admit.

20 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

It's never boring, you have to admit.

The prosecution presents exhibit A: last season

edit just to clarify I'm talking about us, not Dundee. We managed to make even  a relegation dogfight and playoff season teeth-grindingly tedious because of the actual football. At least Dundee get the odd wild result and on-and-off-field hilarity like the McGhee fiasco, players in nightclub brawls, Cummings, flare-kicking etc etc. You get novelty and drama to go with the awful football. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

The prosecution presents exhibit A: last season

edit just to clarify I'm talking about us, not Dundee. We managed to make even  a relegation dogfight and playoff season teeth-grindingly tedious because of the actual football. At least Dundee get the odd wild result and on-and-off-field hilarity like the McGhee fiasco, players in nightclub brawls, Cummings, flare-kicking etc etc. You get novelty and drama to go with the awful football. 

True, we tend to manage to throw in enough drama that our disasters keep you on the edge of your seat - like a fkd up series that always ends on a cliffhanger.

With you guys the beige just seems to get a shittier shade of brown...