Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, locheedee said:

True, we tend to manage to throw in enough drama that our disasters keep you in the Premiership

True

5 minutes ago, locheedee said:

With you guys the beige just seems to get a shittier shade of brown...

As established a few pages back, there's no beige in our strip this year

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Turns out Walker is with the same agency as Matt Macey, so there's a decent chance instead of trying to find one ourselves we've just asked them to find us a keeper.

Wonder if Tommy Wright tipped Callum off about him, assuming he signed him or knew what he was like? 

9 hours ago, Center half said:

Okay, ill take your word! I was told when Scott played and won the Scottish school cup when at with Perth High School he was Jakes son!

His Dad's name is Jack.  Really nice guy, but different guy to the one you're thinking of.

“There’s a lot of depth when everyone’s back. It feels like we’re a bit light at the moment but you can’t just keep spending money on players.

That quote from Davidson is an interesting one. Suggests that he's still not happy with the squad and I'm not convinced that we're done in the market just yet. That may be blind optimism and dependant on whether we can shift some players out on loan or for good. You've got to assume the likes of Ballantyne would either be the prime candidate to go out, since it's doubtful he'll play now or potentially ever.

37 minutes ago, Widge said:

“There’s a lot of depth when everyone’s back. It feels like we’re a bit light at the moment but you can’t just keep spending money on players.

That quote from Davidson is an interesting one. Suggests that he's still not happy with the squad and I'm not convinced that we're done in the market just yet. That may be blind optimism and dependant on whether we can shift some players out on loan or for good. You've got to assume the likes of Ballantyne would either be the prime candidate to go out, since it's doubtful he'll play now or potentially ever.

One of his quotes today suggests he's giving certain players these cup games to prove their worth keeping around. If they fail then they'll be replaced.

One of his quotes today suggests he's giving certain players these cup games to prove their worth keeping around. If they fail then they'll be replaced.

Who do we reckon? Gilmour, O’Halloran 100%. Don’t think he’d ship Bair out after the league cup games but do think if he fails to score Davidson would panic and sign at least one more striker.

Gilmour and MOH definitely. Ballantyne seems an obvious one, possibly Crawford too? He seemed to fall out of things a wee bit towards the end of the last season and we have a lot of cover in the positions he’s strongest in. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd argue that this is absolutely the correct way to do it, the problem being I don't for a second think there's a logistical plan in place for the replacements. 

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'd argue that this is absolutely the correct way to do it, the problem being I don't for a second think there's a logistical plan in place for the replacements. 

Agreed. I think the fact it’s the day of our first competitive fixture and we’ve still not signed a first choice goalkeeper and we’ve not (and seem to have no plan to) replace the 3 strikers who left in the summer/Vertainen who was obviously out on loan from January onwards last season confirms that. 

Wouldn’t trust Davidson to recruit for my old u14s team, never mind Saints tbh. 

26 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Gilmour and MOH definitely. Ballantyne seems an obvious one, possibly Crawford too? He seemed to fall out of things a wee bit towards the end of the last season and we have a lot of cover in the positions he’s strongest in. 

I’d agree with that. Crawford did look much more comfortable on Saturday, albeit it’s not a high bar to clear. Can’t see him being preferred to the other options in there though

29 minutes ago, Widge said:

Yeah this is it.

Only right to give young players a chance in pre-season to prove themselves, and I guess these games tie into that these days.

You'd hope he has a list drawn up of targets for positions we likely need to strengthen in and is ready to pounce, rather than starting the search from scratch in 3 weeks time.

I’ve had an inkling we’d use the league cup games to test the squads current strength and weaknesses. I guess as the first competitive fixtures it makes sense.

Although I think MOH & Ballantyne will be off permanent soon.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’ve had an inkling we’d use the league cup games to test the squads current strength and weaknesses. I guess as the first competitive fixtures it makes sense.

Although I think MOH & Ballantyne will be off permanent soon.

Have my doubts if they'll be perm deals. 

Especially MOH as he'll unlikely be on board with walking away from his current salary. Loan till contract is up. 

In an ideal world, you'd get Crawford and O'Halloran out the door to free up space for better senior players, you'd probably also want Ballantyne and Gilmour out on loan, Sinclair as well to free up wages to allow you to bring in first team ready players. I don't think any of this will happen, but I can dream. I'd probably include May in the list too, but we can't lose any more strikers!