Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think about 5 or 6 from that starting 11 will play in League Cup  probably less in League 

Parish was ok today with little to do,would I start him ?no chance 

Considine was ok  but slow,but posititionly good,would I start him?Not if Liam is fit  but not a complete nightmare if he did

Gilmour, sorry no where good enough 

Max .Superb. Halberg  definitely starts if fit great free kick

Crawford  did fine 

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

Only thing I can think of is what Randomguy mentioned a few pages back and that Alloa are taking Sinclair on loan once we’ve brought in a keeper and they didn’t want to risk that being cancelled due to an injury.

Alloa signed some Rangers youth.

Parish is playing for the same reason he played v Hibs, as the manager prefers him to Sinclair. We aren't going to see Sinclair chucked into competitive games after 45 minutes worth of friendly.

1 hour ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I think about 5 or 6 from that starting 11 will play in League Cup  probably less in League 

Your nothing if not predictable....

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

"Stop panicking, that line up will never start a game" from a fan of a club who saw about 4 starters pick up serious injuries last season.

The the only part of that line up which is unrealistic as a starting line up for us in the league, as if stands, is Gilmour at RWB.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Alloa signed some Rangers youth.

Parish is playing for the same reason he played v Hibs, as the manager prefers him to Sinclair. We aren't going to see Sinclair chucked into competitive games after 45 minutes worth of friendly.

Your nothing if not predictable....

The the only part of that line up which is unrealistic as a starting line up for us in the league, as if stands, is Gilmour at RWB.

Stevie May starting as a lone striker is unrealistic,  surely? 

Keep giving wee Max game time. 

Montgomery looked OK. 

Bair must start.

Sign a CM so Hallberg can play further forward. 

Bin Parish.  Use the groundsman ad back up keeper. Employ RandomGuy as groundsman. 

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Stevie May starting as a lone striker is unrealistic,  surely? 

Sign a CM so Hallberg can play further forward. 

Bin Parish.  

If Bair gets injured who plays up front?

The managers said, repeatedly now as he repeated it yesterday, that the first team is done un terms of outfield signings. There is no other CM coming in (as it stands. I still think we'll see a couple of outfield players sign).

Parish is clearly his first choice until a new keeper comes in, whenever that is.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The managers said, repeatedly now as he repeated it yesterday, that the first team is done un terms of outfield signings. There is no other CM coming in (as it stands. I still think we'll see a couple of outfield players sign).

Parish is clearly his first choice until a new keeper comes in, whenever that is.

If Bair gets injured before Kane returns then we have a problem.  In that instance then we would probably have to play May,  but what I meant was May should be the last resort as a lone striker. 

As for no more outfield signings, I didn't read Davidson saying that?  If he did then I think we have a serious problem.  We definitely need a Midge/Jody type in the middle of the park. That and a goalkeeper and I'd be reasonably happy with the squad.  We still have a few to come in, and Carey and Murphy will have more influence than when appearing as subs in a friendly. 

Just watched the manager's interview with Saints TV on Twitter.  He was asked if there would be any more signings and said "we never stop looking,  something might come along".

12 minutes ago, The Marly said:

If Bair gets injured before Kane returns then we have a problem.  In that instance then we would probably have to play May,  but what I meant was May should be the last resort as a lone striker. 

As for no more outfield signings, I didn't read Davidson saying that? 

That's my point. We had a hoaching injury record last season, what's the plan if something happens to Bair? What's the plan if Bair struggles? Manager claimed last month Kane wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. 

He's spoken all summer about "4 or 5" coming in. He's signed Considine, Wright, Carey, Murphy and wants a keeper on top of that. 

This was him last week before we signed Murphy.

"I’m trying to get one more forward in and a goalkeeper,” he said.

“When I get those two the squad is good.

“It will be really strong, with a good mix of experience and youth.

“That balance is key.

“The goalkeeper is obviously important. There are options but we want to make sure we get the right one.”

It's just weird how we're at a stage where people get criticised for believing what the manager says and those defending are effectively calling him a liar.

8 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Just watched the manager's interview with Saints TV on Twitter.  He was asked if there would be any more signings and said "we never stop looking,  something might come along".

It's honestly so fucking annoying.

Two interviews not even a week apart and he's saying completely different things in both.

9 hours ago, mizfit said:

Only thing I can think of is what Randomguy mentioned a few pages back and that Alloa are taking Sinclair on loan once we’ve brought in a keeper and they didn’t want to risk that being cancelled due to an injury.

Today confirmed though Parish is that low on confidence and ability that he’s simply not number 1, can’t Be nice hearing sarcastic cheers when you grab an easy ball.

Callum’s post Match comments confirm a keeper is priority and I imagine we’ll have one for Saturday.

Alloa just signed rangers u21 keeper on loan

That's my point. We had a hoaching injury record last season, what's the plan if something happens to Bair? What's the plan if Bair struggles? Manager claimed last month Kane wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. 

He's spoken all summer about "4 or 5" coming in. He's signed Considine, Wright, Carey, Murphy and wants a keeper on top of that. 

This was him last week before we signed Murphy.

It's just weird how we're at a stage where people get criticised for believing what the manager says and those defending are effectively calling him a liar.

Nor sure I criticised you tbh. I was just going off the last interview with the manager. As for "what if Bair gets injured/struggles, you could say that for every player.  The budget isn't limitless  - you can't have four or five options for every position. 

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Nor sure I criticised you tbh. I was just going off the last interview with the manager. As for "what if Bair gets injured/struggles, you could say that for every player.  The budget isn't limitless  - you can't have four or five options for every position. 

I wasn't saying you were, apologies if it came off that way. There's plenty of folk on Twitter/FB speaking down about anyone who doesn't just blindly trust Davidson. 

Yes, injuries are unpredictable and we have a limited squad size. I just don't see a plan for things if Bair doesn't work out. We have Carey, Murphy, Crawford, Wotherspoon, Max, and likely May too, competing for 2 spots behind the lone striker (and really Hallberg should be in that discussion too but it looks like he'll be forced backwards) yet just 2 lone striker options with one being unable to play until after the season starts.

To me everything screams he's decided we're playing 3-4-3 this season and that's it. I can't be arsed with another season of watching us stubbornly try the same things endlessly because the squad we have doesn't allow change. 

It feels to me very much like we are still playing catchup from last summer. I wasn't as annoyed as some seemed to be at the manner of Kerr and McCann's departures, but more at the fact that the club must have known, as everyone else did, that they would be away sooner rather than later, but seemed to do very little about it. They should have had proper replacements in place, and if they had not left when they did it would have given the replacements time to bed in before that time inevitably came.

This led us to the situation in January where, knowing Zander was unlikely to stay, and that Rooney and McCart were likely also to leave, instead of aiming to talk to/sign/PCA their replacements we were still scrabbling around for players to make up the existing squad.

Roll forward to now and we needed a big window just to get back to the point where we should already have been, but in spite of a few signings coming in it still has a feel of running around in a panic trying to find the players we desperately need right now (ideally by Tuesday.)

As for proactively building for the future...

7 minutes ago, Shipa said:

It feels to me very much like we are still playing catchup from last summer. I wasn't as annoyed as some seemed to be at the manner of Kerr and McCann's departures, but more at the fact that the club must have known, as everyone else did, that they would be away sooner rather than later, but seemed to do very little about it. They should have had proper replacements in place, and if they had not left when they did it would have given the replacements time to bed in before that time inevitably came.

This led us to the situation in January where, knowing Zander was unlikely to stay, and that Rooney and McCart were likely also to leave, instead of aiming to talk to/sign/PCA their replacements we were still scrabbling around for players to make up the existing squad.

Roll forward to now and we needed a big window just to get back to the point where we should already have been, but in spite of a few signings coming in it still has a feel of running around in a panic trying to find the players we desperately need right now (ideally by Tuesday.)

As for proactively building for the future...

With regards to January, we had to go get players that would keep us up rather than looking to replace the ones who were leaving in the summer.  Hard to negotiate pre contracts when we didn’t know what league we’d be in come summer

Heard that yesterday and some saying its Zander resigning. Time will tell

Some climb down for Zander coming back if McNamara has fucked his move.