Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

There is not a chance we are starting Parrish as number 1. Davidson reactions to a few of the mishandles says that and also a bit of a look between him and MOH when the ball wasn't coming out to him when he was in acres of space. I do think though that folk need to lay off him. He is/was never intended to be the number 1. He's fine as a backup on the occasion he is needed. 

He's not good enough as a back up. You can't guarantee your number 1 will stay injury free for a whole season.

We don't even know if our number one will be good enough to be number one.

Absolutely pointless wasting time with Parish today, we need to know what Sinclair can do.

Edited by RandomGuy.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We don't even know if our number one will be good enough to be number one.

Absolutely pointless wasting time with Parish today, we need to know what Sinclair can do.

I'm getting your point. You're being too polite though.

Our managers No1 isn't good enough. 

Based on today there's a clear first and second choice and Davidson's first choice isn't good enough. 

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pretty much.

I'll be ripped into by the happy clappies, but our squad is shit. We're completely reliant on two 33yo attackers not being shit, with one being a crock, a 22yo striker who's never played 90 minutes at this level, and a 20yo who's never played higher than League Two. We have nothing behind them as options.

A narrow win over Cove seems to have people ignoring this.

With you here 100%

Nothing has been learned and we're in serious trouble this season.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Based on what?

Based on everything up to this point. When we had Mannus/Enklemen and Clark/Mannus, it was always made clear that one was there to push the other for the starting slot. At no time has it ever felt like or been indicated from the club that Parrish would be challenging Clark.

For those old enough, he is the modern incarnation of Jim Butter. 

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

Based on everything up to this point. When we had Mannus/Enklemen and Clark/Mannus, it was always made clear that one was there to push the other for the starting slot. At no time has it ever felt like or been indicated from the club that Parrish would be challenging Clark.

For those old enough, he is the modern incarnation of Jim Butter. 

I meant when has he proven he's a capable keeper at this level?

I don't expect us to have two keepers of great quality like we did during the Mannus era, but sticking with a proven failure, especially when we dont have a starting keeper yet, feel risky. Not even giving the young keeper challenging him a chance in pre-season feels negligent.

What happens if Sinclair is capable of stepping in already, and instead of spending a fortune on a new 1st choice we can filter that money elsewhere?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our youth team just won the Scottish Cup and drew with Civil Service Strollers senior team, I'm not particularly sure he should be getting parachuted in ahead of them.

I'd guess this is confirmation the reserve league is back and we're just trying to get numbers in to actually have a team to enter without emptying our actual youth team.

Had, stupidly, hoped one of the trialists was with a view of them competing for a starting spot, but looks like we're genuinely going with Davidson, Hallberg, MacPherson and Gilmour as CM options.

On this, did our Youth team win the Scottish Cup, I originally thought so but it seemed to be called the Scotland Cup or similar, it appears Rangers beat Hearts at Hampden for the actual Scottish Youth Cup, from the teams we beat on the way it seems to be a secondary type cup maybe ? 

Not to take away from the achievement but Motherwell were the better team on the day and were cruising until they had two sent off, even then when Saints got ahead the 9 men battled back to score and take it to pens.

The Saints goalie was the star of the show.

28 minutes ago, strawman said:

On this, did our Youth team win the Scottish Cup, I originally thought so but it seemed to be called the Scotland Cup or similar, it appears Rangers beat Hearts at Hampden for the actual Scottish Youth Cup, from the teams we beat on the way it seems to be a secondary type cup maybe ? 

Not to take away from the achievement but Motherwell were the better team on the day and were cruising until they had two sent off, even then when Saints got ahead the 9 men battled back to score and take it to pens.

The Saints goalie was the star of the show.

Cheers, it's hard to get decent information on the youth side of stuff and I was just going off memory (which is shite).

Many of the young team you think have a chance? 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers, it's hard to get decent information on the youth side of stuff and I was just going off memory (which is shite).

Random!  Watching some of our older generation ( Yes older than me!), going mental at Calum for putting a centre forward (9) at left back was the high lite of the day.    

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I only saw the Final so no real idea,  I did on the day though think Motherwell were the better team ane probably would have won if they hadn’t had the sendings off, they came back with just 9 men from 2-1 down in the last 5 mins.

It was U17s I think.

I was at work so only got partial Twitter updates today. Did parish get the full 90? I can’t for the life of me understand why Scotland’s under 21 #1 is sitting there on our bench while a guy we know isn’t close to good enough is getting all the minutes pre season…

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I was at work so only got partial Twitter updates today. Did parish get the full 90? I can’t for the life of me understand why Scotland’s under 21 #1 is sitting there on our bench while a guy we know isn’t close to good enough is getting all the minutes pre season…

Oh I can understand. 

image.jpeg.17a9412b40bee22408b0aea6a18c1f07.jpeg

Only thing I can think of is what Randomguy mentioned a few pages back and that Alloa are taking Sinclair on loan once we’ve brought in a keeper and they didn’t want to risk that being cancelled due to an injury.

Today confirmed though Parish is that low on confidence and ability that he’s simply not number 1, can’t Be nice hearing sarcastic cheers when you grab an easy ball.

Callum’s post Match comments confirm a keeper is priority and I imagine we’ll have one for Saturday.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I meant when has he proven he's a capable keeper at this level?

I don't expect us to have two keepers of great quality like we did during the Mannus era, but sticking with a proven failure, especially when we dont have a starting keeper yet, feel risky. Not even giving the young keeper challenging him a chance in pre-season feels negligent.

What happens if Sinclair is capable of stepping in already, and instead of spending a fortune on a new 1st choice we can filter that money elsewhere?

I think we are both essentially saying the same thing. He isn't good enough to be our number one and he knows that. In an ideal world, we'd have 2 number ones. At the moment we don't even have one. I thought it would have been a half each today. It looked to me like Sinclair was warming up at half time ready to come on.

I wonder if either Davidson is giving Parrish some game time now as he seeing whether he is likely to stay as the backup or whether Sinclair steps up, Or, he is going to send Sinclair out on loan and Parrish stays as the number two to the new guy.

Otherwise, I though Max and Crawford were our best 2 players. Theo looked much sharper, but it kind of felt similar to last season. Trying the same things over and over again. When we did try and mix it up and tried some longer range shots, we either got joy or it led to something else. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Considine looks slow but thought his positioning was decent enough. The second goal came from his side but not sure there’s much he could do, would need to see the goal again though.