Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

If we sign Jack Hamilton I would genuinely consider not bothering going to the first few games next season. Dreadful keeper and would be an awful signing, an enormous downgrade.

I reckon some of our signings would have been fine in January for the relegation battle. Bringing them in to refresh the squad for a new campaign is seriously worrying. At best we can aim for maybe 10th with this squad if another couple of teams have shocking seasons. There’s very little chance, at this point, that we can challenge for top six. That should absolutely be the aim - and the rewards for that these days is almost certainly European football.

If July and August go badly Davidson surely has to go. But if he did go after a bad start to the season, however, we’d be stuck with the squad. I don’t think I’ve ever gone into a season this pessimistic.

17 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Eric Nicolson is expecting 3 up front with Murphy left and Carey right. 

So presumably Bair and Kane in competition for through the middle.

The squads clearly built around his 5-2-3.

Quite why we're returning to a set up he virtually ditched halfway through 20/21 and contributed heavily to our record breaking 9 home goals in 19 games is beyond me, but "cup DoUblE" I guess.

Edited by RandomGuy.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The squads clearly built around his 5-2-3.

Quite why we're returning to a set up he virtually ditched halfway through 20/21 and contributed heavily to our record breaking 9 home goals in 19 games is beyond me, but "cup DoUblE" I guess.

Experience and trust in the players is the key this season.

7 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Experience and trust in the players is the key this season.

And next seeing as most of the squad is signed up for it too.

Nice to hear the theory behind the managers thoughts, when he puts them out there in a coherent way.

Sounds like the plan is to slowly replace Carey with Max, which seems smart. Not sure they could be many better players we could get as a "tutor" of sorts too. Careys played at a good level and the fact he's in such good shape at his age suggests he's a good professional too.

Is Carey left-footed? What about Kucheriavyi? Is the thinking they'll cut in, allowing Wright to provide the width? 

I know wide right could mean 4-2-3-1 and I know folk will say it was only a bounce match but I think a back four will be in the bin now, if it ever was in his thoughts. 

Someone summed it up well when they said you want to be optimistic but that involves not thinking about the season too much...

And the comment about if you can't see the poor team...

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is Carey left-footed? What about Kucheriavyi? 

As far as I know, yes.

I imagine the plan is for Wotherspoon/Murphy to cut in from the left and Carey/Max from the right, with the wing backs holding the width. The CMs and CF stay central, which might help the midfield when countered on.

Might be better than when we played Conway right as he never came inside so every attack on the right was stuck on the flank until we crossed it.

See how it goes really, can see the logic and the potential is there for the front line to work out well, but I don't think we have the wing back quality, or strength in midfield, to actually allow the attack some freedom to play.

I think Kerr, Rooney, McCann, and Bryson were all vital to the 5-2-3 last time and we've, IMO, downgraded in everyone of those positions.

LINEUP111657178925440.thumb.png.382643b2177a0baac23f9210ca3c89f2.png

Crawford and MOH total spares parts now, IMO. Loan out one, or both, of Gilmour/Ballantyne.

Sign a properly quality RWB and holding midfielder, along with a goalkeeper, and I'd be more confident in us. 

I see Jack Wilsheer is looking for a club again! he looks like in a similar position to when Jody came to us ,The question being is does he still have the attitude to play now? Does he still carry the Billy big boy attitude and still wants top dollar? Would he be an asset to any of the clubs up here and could we afford him, the same was said about Jody and Doobs  at the time and we got them across the line although i do think McInnes had  a lot to play in those moves.!

Don't think he played for Garry Rowett at any time so may not be a option for us.

5 minutes ago, Center half said:

I see Jack Wilsheer is looking for a club again! he looks like in a similar position to when Jody came to us ,The question being is does he still have the attitude to play now? Does he still carry the Billy big boy attitude and still wants top dollar? Would he be an asset to any of the clubs up here and could we afford him, the same was said about Jody and Doobs  at the time and we got them across the line although i do think McInnes had  a lot to play in those moves.!

Don't think he played for Garry Rowett at any time so may not be a option for us.

Did Jody Morris have the injury issues Wilshere has had?

Not being sarcastic, I genuinely can't remember.

It was more attitude and personal issues with Morris which he turned around big time up here. Had one bad cruciate injury down south though.

Wilshere is ruined physically.

Edited by The Saintee

Did Jody Morris have the injury issues Wilshere has had?
Not being sarcastic, I genuinely can't remember.

Not from memory. I think Wilshere is looking to move more into coaching, heard him on TalkSPORT saying he’d became very interested in it when he was training with Arsenal.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I like it, Jamama will hate the collar. Not because it's awful, just because he's a c**t.

Collar is awful tbf.

FXD0s3OXkAgYckP.thumb.jpeg.2a25ac346e27232cadcccc4f38c37283.jpeg

Getting hefty 14/15 vibes.

1411148931_StJohnstone14-15-Home-Kit-6.jpg.aa670e49e9e36fbd3cc8195d533e5554.jpg