Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed. We would’ve tweeted the score unless St Johnstone asked us not to, and why would they?

They wouldn't. It was a bounce game that in the grand scheme of things means f**k all but minutes in legs and trying out some players. One things for sure, that starting 11 will be nothing like the one in the first league game. I still want this manager and half his signings gone though, they are utterly clueless.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

the line up plus the apparent issues with actually getting to the game earns some leeway for the early collapse IMO. 

This is it for me. Some of the reaction on twitter and Facebook has been completely OTT. 

The stand out thing for me with Callum and the current set up is arrogance. It’s all blatantly half arsed and this is making me seriously angry. Bounce games are not the issue the underlying current of complacency is the key to this. The guy and his back room team need to either work like f**k to fix it or get in the sea. It’s unbelievable how a double cup winning manager can piss of such a large chunk of the support so quickly. That’s a personality issue I think. 

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The a9 is still shut so your squad are having go to via Nairn/Forres and down to Grantown and back out onto the a9 at Aviemore. 

That road to Grantown on a coach? Fucking ooft.

Hopefully they don't get back to Perth until October. 

5 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

So many Twitter Saints fans seem so convinced Parish was to blame for the goals conceded today. 

Fans can think someone isn't good enough and that's a view I definitely share but not sure how any fans can blame him for today's goals... As no fans witnessed the game 🤦‍♂️

Stats don't lie. Seventeen goals conceded in his last two and a half games. How many has Zander conceded in the same timescale? How many did Sinclair concede in his half?

Let's just dissolve Parish of all blame though...... 

I think you can take the penalty out of Parish’s blame circle, but we conceded from a corner and a direct free kick, both of which he struggles with. Plus the fact that a defence with no confidence in a keeper is a recipe waiting to happen. He may not have been directly responsible for the goals, but he sure as hell won’t have helped!

Not sure what to make of that yesterday but it's hard to make a case that there is ever any sort of kickabout where it would be acceptable for Saints to lose 6 goals, 5 in the first half, to a team of a lower standing.

Maybe there were mitigating circumstances and maybe it might be a wake-up call but hardly an ideal part of preparations.

Friendly or not, it won't ease the worries of those already concerned about the upcoming season. 

I guess it was our strongest possible lineup with our first competitive game on Saturday in mind, with probably only 3 or 4 who you would class as starters for you?  A top end Championship team will clearly score a few against a Premiership youth/fringe player 11.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I guess it was our strongest possible lineup with our first competitive game on Saturday in mind, with probably only 3 or 4 who you would class as starters for you?  A top end Championship team will clearly score a few against a Premiership youth/fringe player 11.

As it stands, if we go into the first league game of the season with the same squad, the back four contained 3 we'd expect to start. I'd think Mahon might start ahead of Cleary and Considine in a back four too, while the GK debate is hard to predict.

So aye, if we play a back four theres a real chance the keeper and back four that played yesterday also start our first league game.

Without seeing the goals it's impossible to say anything though, could be 4 worldies in there or Parish couldve done his usual. Be good if highlights appeared.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Thinking about it, with the injuries to Gallacher/Booth/Wotherspoon/Carey/Kane likely to keep them out the opening day, is this what our starting line up will look like v Hibs on the opening day?

LINEUP111657095608769.thumb.png.37f0d15aa775005324692742d599056a.png

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thinking about it, with the injuries to Gallacher/Booth/Wotherspoon/Carey/Kane likely to keep them out the opening day, is this what our starting line up will look like v Hibs on the opening day?

LINEUP111657095608769.thumb.png.37f0d15aa775005324692742d599056a.png

I think the games before then will dictate the line up but as it stands the only change I could see is probably Considine in for Mahon, or move Mahon along and drop Gordon. 

The most worrying part of yesterday's result is the amount of people who seem to genuinely think we've had a good summer in terms of signings and have a good squad now.

Don't think I've ever been so unenthusiastic about a new season as I am now. 

The prospect of more MacPherson, Crawford, Davidsonball, favourites picked time and time again, the same substitutions week after week and probably Jamie Murphy being played as a striker. Hallberg out of position and all our creative hopes being pinned on a 33 year old scoring worldies. 

Good times.