Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Wow I’d missed that. It is absolutely not unless he thinks it’s clever or even fair to the player’s body to rely on M Davidson as a first choice every week for another season at the age of 34. Also, we don’t really have anyone in the squad capable of playing as the deepest midfielder in a 3. Maybe Davidson is looking to Gilmour for that?

Don't see anyone but Gilmour, and even then he's meant to be "box to box" rather than a holding midfielder.

17 hours ago, Radford said:

Everything just seems so needlessly complicated these days. 

Still can't figure out why there are always bigger queues at East Stand now then when you had folk paying cash.

Yeah, that bugs me sometimes.  Although there are definitely more people going, it does seem to take too long to get in.

Still shuddering at him thinking the CM area is fine tbh, but he's plenty of time to change his mind on that I guess.

I’m viewing the friendlies and league cup as an opportunity for the midfield to show what it can do. I’m sure if it doesn’t look ready or right they’ll go into the market, there’s still 7 weeks left.

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’m viewing the friendlies and league cup as an opportunity for the midfield to show what it can do. I’m sure if it doesn’t look ready or right they’ll go into the market, there’s still 7 weeks left.

This is what I'm hoping. We see a few experiments of a combination of Hallberg/Davidson/MacPherson/Gilmour/Ballantyne as a two then realise we need one who can actually protect the defence. Maybe need one or two out to get someone in so youth gets a chance before we loan them out, which is fine.

On a related note, Brian Rice is saying their "first choice target" for goalkeeper, which he mentioned a week or so ago was a loanee from the top flight, should sign for Alloa in the next day or two. Potentially means we've got a new keeper signed.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On a related note, Brian Rice is saying their "first choice target" for goalkeeper, which he mentioned a week or so ago was a loanee from the top flight, should sign for Alloa in the next day or two. Potentially means we've got a new keeper signed.

Or it's Jack Newman from United and they are about to sign Clark... 

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Or it's Jack Newman from United and they are about to sign Clark... 

f**k. That's exactly what's going to happen, isn't it?

Course we've only known since January that Clark wanted to leave. 

We didn't know what division we'd be in though...

Again though the easiest signing to make should surely be a guaranteed top flight number 1 position but if anyone can f**k it up it'll be Davidson.

Presumably Allan Preston doesn't have any GK clients.

Course we've only known since January that Clark wanted to leave. 
We didn't know what division we'd be in though...
Again though the easiest signing to make should surely be a guaranteed top flight number 1 position but if anyone can f**k it up it'll be Davidson.
Presumably Allan Preston doesn't have any GK clients.

Perhaps he doesn't want to stay? I'm in Derby so only follow these things at a distance so don't know.
But having a goalkeeper who wants to be somewhere else has not been a good thing in the past.

In and ideal world, I think we're still 4 players short. A goalkeeper, right wingback, central midfielder and a striker. Will we get even half of them before the competitive season starts, who actually knows. 

10 minutes ago, DerbySaint said:

Perhaps he doesn't want to stay? I'm in Derby so only follow these things at a distance so don't know.
But having a goalkeeper who wants to be somewhere else has not been a good thing in the past.

I think you're reading something that isn't there. He's saying we've known Zander is leaving for ages and the club have had ample time to find and sign a replacement.

Which of course they haven't as of yet.

right wing back

Yeah good point this. All we have in that position right now is a winger who can play there or a limited full back who can play there in a push. No one naturally suited to the position, so find it odd Davidson didn’t mention that we were still after one.

4 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Yeah good point this. All we have in that position right now is a winger who can play there or a limited full back who can play there in a push. No one naturally suited to the position, so find it odd Davidson didn’t mention that we were still after one.

Perhaps it is gonna be a back 4? Although is there a backup to Brown if it is?

Cleary maybe? He did come on at RB on his Liverpool debut, replacing Trent Alexander Arnold (according to Wiki)

Perhaps on Sat we might be pleasantly surprised, although I have a horrible feeling nothing will have changed formation wise

Edited by shibbydoo

Season ticket barcode received half an hour ago

Aye likewise, must admit looking forward to being back on Saturday even to watch a friendly.

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Season ticket barcode received half an hour ago

Likewise earlier this morning. 

I appreciate it's not a Saints process and is something managed by the online ticketing supplier but I'd be interested (because I've got an interest in these things/work in the area rather than thinking it's a big problem) why batch sending out these codes is completed over a number of days rather than in one bulk job. 

29 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Aye likewise, must admit looking forward to being back on Saturday even to watch a friendly.

Have to say I’m quite excited as well, so much so that I’m considering heading to Civil Service on Friday night as well 

1 hour ago, DerbySaint said:

Yeah. He wants away and has been clear about that. Davidson has had plenty of time to get this signing right and for me the carrot here is that it's a guaranteed starting slot.

36 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Perhaps it is gonna be a back 4? Although is there a backup to Brown if it is?

Actions speak louder than words, don't they?

For a man who claimed he was building a squad that could flit between back 5 and 4, he's getting very close to having one that's completely built around his 5-2-3 set up if he is genuinely only wanting a GK and winger/striker in.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

29 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Have to say I’m quite excited as well, so much so that I’m considering heading to Civil Service on Friday night as well 

I give it half an hour of 5-2-3, with MacPherson and Gilmour as the "2" and Brown/Montgomery as wing backs, before depression hits.