Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

More St. Mirren fans in the comments about Carey signing than there is Saints fans on Twitter.

They're like scorned lovers. "he's definitely past it and rubbish" 🥱

We'll see what you say about him soon enough. IMO as a left back he's a bit like Tanser , good going forward , but can't tackle. Wide left , he never had the pace to be an out and out winger. His best spell seemed to be at Plymouth , when he played in midfield most of the time. At 33 , does he still have the energy ? 8 goals in 86 appearances with us , some spectacular strikes , but not much else !

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Glen Middleton amongst others has Been told he's free to find another Club..would Saints be interested!?Would it be a lazy signing?Could we afford the 3k a month he was allegedly being paid by Saints, just under half his wage at Rangers. 

Certainly wasn’t worth £3k a week last season if that’s what he was on. He managed one goal and a handful of assists and barely started 2 matches in a row at any point of the season. 

He has potential though. Wouldn’t be averse to him coming back 

Middleton is good enough to play for Saints but spent the majority of last season looking like he couldn't be arsed, and thought he was far too good for us. 

Although I'm sure the club wasn't a fun place to be last year it's mind boggling that he seemingly couldn't see that getting pied by your bigger team would be the inevitable consequence of being shite for your smaller one. 

Felt a bit sorry for Middleton last season, felt as if no matter how well he’d played, he was bound to get dropped sooner or later. Thoroughly enjoyed his celebrations at Livi in February - would have him back for that alone. He’s still only 22 so at least there’d something to work with, although I suspect the Carey signing has killed any prospect of him returning

Certainly wasn’t worth £3k a week last season if that’s what he was on. He managed one goal and a handful of assists and barely started 2 matches in a row at any point of the season. 

He has potential though. Wouldn’t be averse to him coming back 

I think he’ll be away down south or up to Aberdeen myself. But if we could reach a reasonable agreement I’d be happy enough.

Edit: perhaps a daft thought but if we were serious about him I’d have imagined he’d have joined up already.

I always thought with Middleton that we weren't playing him wide enough due to our tactics. He isn't a central striker in my opinion. Play him wide and he might flourish, but I'm not convinced he'll get that opportunity with us.

18 hours ago, Kyle said:

Yep, agree too. Agent and pal recommendations, short term signings and generally speaking no joined up thinking is how I perceive Davidson in the transfer market. 

This summer each player has top flight experience and should fit into the shape which is at least progress. Two year deals for a 33 year old and a 35 year old is some gamble though, we saw how quickly Liam dropped out of the team recently and there’s been plenty of others who’s level just nose dived all of a sudden. Anderson, Wright and Mackay from the 2014 cup winning team alone. 

Still, Carey seems to have done well in England and Hungary. Hopefully he can carry that kind of form on with us now that he’s here. Carey set pieces for Considine to attack should be fruitful. 

Agree with most of that except Dave Mackay.  His level didn't nose dive,  he was forced to retire through injury. 

30 minutes ago, Saint Stevo said:

I always thought with Middleton that we weren't playing him wide enough due to our tactics. He isn't a central striker in my opinion. Play him wide and he might flourish, but I'm not convinced he'll get that opportunity with us.

Similar issue folk have with Oliver Burke, maybe?

Get predictable out wide so coaches/managers think using them up front to run in behind defences is the best use of their pace?

Fairly sure Scotland U21s use him as a central striker too.

I wouldn't break the bank to get him but if he does sign it'll be a "could've been worse" type again, where you see the logic in it but simultaneously feel like it's not actually moving us forwards from last season. 

You'd have to question what the plan is for fitting everyone in too.

Agree with most of that except Dave Mackay.  His level didn't nose dive,  he was forced to retire through injury. 

His last game showed just how much he’d lost through injuries. Was an absolute shame.

9 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

More St. Mirren fans in the comments about Carey signing than there is Saints fans on Twitter.

They're like scorned lovers. "he's definitely past it and rubbish" 🥱

Classic Twitter, tbh. I think he'll still have plenty to offer. He was never the fastest but that won't matter so much in the position he's in now.

I guess the real shame is that he won't get a game past McPherson 😉

Classic Twitter, tbh. I think he'll still have plenty to offer. He was never the fastest but that won't matter so much in the position he's in now.
I guess the real shame is that he won't get a game past McPherson [emoji6]

There’s been a strange revision from some of our fans that Macpherson is good, because he played alright against Inverness across 2 legs.

It was also the most he’s done since he started with us.

Had no idea Peter MacDonald was an agent now.

FVYE1KiWYAEMzHT.thumb.jpeg.75cb121eb6ccd65e7a404c33db84e2e2.jpeg

Seems like a lot of former players headed down that route, you'd hope that means we some more agents doing what's best for players, rather than just trying to make money. 

Had a dream about Theo Bair last night, he was doing the business on Love Island.

Made me think that I do reckon he could be special for us this season if he’s given a shot, and the league cup games and even reserve league hopefully returning could be an important part of that. If his competition up top is gonna be Stevie May, a still crocked Chris Kane and someone like Yaya Sanogo or worse there’s actually a fair bit riding on him being a success.