Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

ET and Bair never though  and probably Mahon 

They weren't players Davidson identified alone.

January he had help building a list of targets. This Summer we're back to him trying to do it all alone, and that's us back to signing obvious easy targets or agent recommendations. 

Do you think he had a list of alternatives he worked through before settling on Drey Wright?

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They weren't players Davidson identified alone.

January he had help building a list of targets. This Summer we're back to him trying to do it all alone, and that's us back to signing obvious easy targets or agent recommendations. 

Do you think he had a list of alternatives he worked through before settling on Drey Wright?

We've learned though based on the minutes signings have played, Davidson doesn't like the alternative options/doesn't trust the method used to find alternative options. Ambrose straight into the team, Mahon watching for months as example.

He likes ones he can "trust". Known names.

While we're signing players his way we're unlikely to pick up someone on the cheap and sell for profit. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

We've learned though based on the minutes signings have played, Davidson doesn't like the alternative options/doesn't trust the method used to find alternative options. Ambrose straight into the team, Mahon watching for months as example.

He likes ones he can "trust". Known names.

While we're signing players his way we're unlikely to pick up someone on the cheap and sell for profit. 

^^^

What a post. Only one that bucks the trend a wee bit is Cleary, and maybe Gallacher  

Edited by Kyle

Just now, Kyle said:

^^^

What a post. Only one that bucks the trend a wee bit is Cleary  

I’d argue for Gallacher as well on that front, who’d made the left back spot his own until he fractured his leg. But yeah, 2 out of how many!? 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think Carey is a terrific signing because regardless of age, fitness, general ability I would always happily have a guy who can score 5 goals from outside the box a season in my team. Stevie Mallan leaving Hibs was my saddest day 

And let's be honest, without Hendry there's no chance of any of our strikers scoring from inside the box.

17 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Those ST numbers are pretty incredible in the circumstances. Was fully expecting a huge fall off!

Good to see some positivity coming from a club official for a change!

If ticket sales are true that’s great news, maybe an indication that not everyone is as negative as the negative c***s on here! 😀

But seriously, the FCU factor could be something to do with it. Despite the crap football, the atmosphere made it a decent experience at a number of games last season which otherwise would’ve been complete torture.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair play, that's a great signing. I adored Carey with us. Always felt we hugely under/mis-used him. Gutted when we let him go.

Likewise. He shined as the #10 at County but rarely got the chance to play there. That changed at Plymouth. 

11 minutes ago, Center half said:

Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline would be my Guess!

I'm surprised at that. I would have thought he'd still have had a couple of offers in the top flight. I know he's 33 though so maybe not many willing to do 2 year deals but players like Burke, Teale etc have played well despite being older. 

11 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'm surprised at that. I would have thought he'd still have had a couple of offers in the top flight. I know he's 33 though so maybe not many willing to do 2 year deals but players like Burke, Teale etc have played well despite being older. 

Was a bit tongue in cheek my reply TBH! 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Carey gets a 2yr deal.

Not as bad as the other 30+yo ones getting multi-year deals to me, as he's had 0 injury problems, and has shown he can still play, and perform, regularly.

Think his success will depend on how we set up, as he clearly still has quality in him.

I quite fancied Carey for us when we binned Polworth. Even now I wouldn't have minded him as an alternative to Goss tbh. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I quite fancied Carey for us when we binned Polworth. Even now I wouldn't have minded him as an alternative to Goss tbh. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

Ha Ha ! I would/still have taken  Polworth ! Goss was poor for us and Alston the same yet he is looking okay at Killie, 

That's football fans for you ?   

Everyone else get an email about the season tickets?

Sounds like the new ones aren't expected to be sent out until after the group games so you've to use the email to gain entry to those