Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yup. No issue with older players who are still fit and playing at a high level. I don't particularly like how we got Carey as its lazy, really, but I do like the actual player as I think he'll add something.

What's the issue with how? 

3 minutes ago, PSJSaint said:

What's the issue with how? 

His agent hawked him around Scottish clubs in January, rather than us particularly identifying and targeting him.

10 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

So what?

I could explain my thinking (again) but you're quite clearly in the type of mood where you'd take my reply and twist it into a slanging match, and frankly I can't be arsed with that these days.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I could explain my thinking (again) but you're quite clearly in the type of mood where you'd take my reply and twist it into a slanging match, and frankly I can't be arsed with that these days.

I'm not looking to annoy any one but when you come out with lazy signing stuff not only do I not care how we get players in I don't understand how it natter really 

If agent b phoned CD in January or when ever and says "I've got this player"blah blah  blah "and  Callum already knows him  and thinks he can persuade him to come to Perth despite other teams interested then I don't see an issue  and to moan about how we got him is just unnecessary. I'm pretty sure it happens all over all the time  and probably frees the time to make more complicated enquiries 

5 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I'm not looking to annoy any one but when you come out with lazy signing stuff not only do I not care how we get players in I don't understand how it natter really 

If agent b phoned CD in January or when ever and says "I've got this player"blah blah  blah "and  Callum already knows him  and thinks he can persuade him to come to Perth despite other teams interested then I don't see an issue  and to moan about how we got him is just unnecessary. I'm pretty sure it happens all over all the time  and probably frees the time to make more complicated enquiries 

Gotta say that I'm with RG.

Our transfer policy at the moment seems to involve Callum's mates recommending him players and he signs them up.

Yep, agree too. Agent and pal recommendations, short term signings and generally speaking no joined up thinking is how I perceive Davidson in the transfer market. 

This summer each player has top flight experience and should fit into the shape which is at least progress. Two year deals for a 33 year old and a 35 year old is some gamble though, we saw how quickly Liam dropped out of the team recently and there’s been plenty of others who’s level just nose dived all of a sudden. Anderson, Wright and Mackay from the 2014 cup winning team alone. 

Still, Carey seems to have done well in England and Hungary. Hopefully he can carry that kind of form on with us now that he’s here. Carey set pieces for Considine to attack should be fruitful. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yep, agree too. Agent and pal recommendations, short term signings and generally speaking no joined up thinking is how I perceive Davidson in the transfer market. 

This summer each player has top flight experience and should fit into the shape which is at least progress. Two year deals for a 33 year old and a 35 year old is some gamble though, we saw how quickly Liam dropped out of the team recently and there’s been plenty of others who’s level just nose dived all of a sudden. Anderson, Wright and Mackay from the 2014 cup winning team alone. 

Still, Carey seems to have done well in England and Hungary. Hopefully he can carry that kind of form on with us now that he’s here. Carey set pieces for Considine to attack should be fruitful. 

Bulgaria*

Goalkeepers

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Daniel Cleary - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on lob from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Graham Carey - 2024

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023 - on loan at Linfield 

Theo Bair - 2024

Offered New Deals 

Zander Clark

Released/left the club 

Shaun Rooney (Fleetwood Town)

Efe Ambrose 

Jamie McCart (Rotherham United)

Sam Denham (East Fife)

Craig Bryson (Stenhousemuir)

Liam Craig (stays on as a coach) 

Jacob Butterfield

Jordan Northcott (Brechin City)

Nadir Ciftci

Jahmal Hector-Ingram 

Callum Hendry (Salford City) 

Loans Expired

Glenn Middleton

Tom Sang

I’ve taken out a few of the younger players who I don’t think will be near the first team next season. 

so 25 players with first team experience with us, with wee Max and Jack Wills kept in. 

have to imagine at the very least a goalie and a striker to come? Would hope for more as some of the options underneath the starting 11 aren’t particularly great but can at least see a team forming, with some decent back up options in certain areas. 

Radford mentioned the numbers in midfield but we surely can’t go into the season with the options we have. Still feel we’re lacking in dig, not much in the way of legs and possibly creativity too.  

35 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I don't mind it every so often and it's a route that shouldn't be ignored. My issue is that almost every, if not all, of signings Davidson has made alone has come from this route.

It blocks off a huge part of the market for us and undoubtedly harms our chances of signing quality players. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

His agent hawked him around Scottish clubs in January, rather than us particularly identifying and targeting him.

No sure I really see the major issue. We may not have specifically identified Carey specifically but provided agencies of the criteria  we had and they respond with the offer of who is a. available b. interested. You would waste a tonne of resource trying to do it any other way.  

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't mind it every so often and it's a route that shouldn't be ignored. My issue is that almost every, if not all, of signings Davidson has made alone has come from this route.

It blocks off a huge part of the market for us and undoubtedly harms our chances of signing quality players. 

ET and Bair never though  and probably Mahon