Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Robert Thomson saying last he heard was October-ish for Booth/Gallacher, not sure if that's one or both. So aye, I retract my mewling as that's too long to be reliant on Brown out of position probably.

Still not sure about Montgomery quality wise but I wrote off Fisher and by the end wanted him signed permanently. Half an inkling he'd be better further forward so interesting to see if that happens with a change of shape at any point.

Don’t quite understand some anger over the Carey signing , he was great for us and was unreal at Plymouth , he’s only just left CSKA Sofia which is a decent level , can play left midfield , left back and the 10 role the only thing against him is age , I’d of taken him back at county in a heartbeat

14 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Don’t quite understand some anger over the Carey signing , he was great for us and was unreal at Plymouth , he’s only just left CSKA Sofia which is a decent level , can play left midfield , left back and the 10 role the only thing against him is age , I’d of taken him back at county in a heartbeat

I think Carey has had taken the brunt of some frustration on how Saints are going about their recruitment in general at the moment rather than Saints fans having an issue with him specifically. Tommy Wright had previously reduced the squads age.

In the time since Davidson has signed quite a few players 33 year old +. Short term stop gaps (often with injury problems) so recruitment often seems disorganised with little sign of long term planning and reactionary. For example a 35 year old Considine on a 2 year deal because Mccart was leaving. 

Personally was alright with the Carey signing, obviously I hope it works out amazingly 🤞😂  and doesn't end in the Ambrose category. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

27 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I think Carey has had taken the brunt of some frustration on how Saints are going about their recruitment in general at the moment rather than Saints fans having an issue with him specifically. Tommy Wright had previously reduced the squads age.

In the time since Davidson has signed quite a few players 33 year old +. Short term stop gaps (often with injury problems) so recruitment often seems disorganised with little sign of long term planning and reactionary. For example a 35 year old Considine on a 2 year deal because Mccart was leaving. 

Personally was alright with the Carey signing, obviously I hope it works out amazingly 🤞😂  and doesn't end in the Ambrose category. 

Totally agree with this. Carey, Montgomery and Considine in themselves are bad signings, but rather than 19 year olds at the start of their careers and 30+ year old guys at their end (both which come with uncertainty and potentally patchy form), we need some guys who can come in, make the team better and still have a good few years to develop at Saints. Rooney and McCart are perfect examples of the type we should be going for, early 20's good few games under their belt, but still with room for improvement. Hopefully these types of players are what is still to come.

Not knocking the individual players signed, but none of them will be here in 2 years time. The longevity of first team players, Muzz, Liam, Wotherspoon, Anderson etc is what has allowed the team to grow. 

4 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Totally agree with this. Carey, Montgomery and Considine in themselves are bad signings, but rather than 19 year olds at the start of their careers and 30+ year old guys at their end (both which come with uncertainty and potentally patchy form), we need some guys who can come in, make the team better and still have a good few years to develop at Saints. Rooney and McCart are perfect examples of the type we should be going for, early 20's good few games under their belt, but still with room for improvement. Hopefully these types of players are what is still to come.

Not knocking the individual players signed, but none of them will be here in 2 years time. The longevity of first team players, Muzz, Liam, Wotherspoon, Anderson etc is what has allowed the team to grow. 

The world changes though! Circumstances now make UK players a lot easier to sign than European players so I would expect a higher number of jobbers heading to the lower divisions in Engerland than previous so i doubt we will see many of our decent players hanging around for years! The shite though will still remain!   

27 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

In case there was any doubt he wasn’t getting another chance. Confirmed via Instagram that Eetu isn’t part of the squad that’s travelled to Spain.

While I don't think for a minute he'll get a chance, did he not also break/fracture his shoulder/collarbone in their last game of the season.

So wondering if he would have been fit to take part in any case. 

Any Saints fan saying that Montgomery is a good signing either wasn’t at our last away game last season in Perth or had their eyes closed for the first hour. He was shite overall for us in his spell at Pittodrie, but he plumbed new depths that night in the hour or so that he was on the pitch. What was Calum Davidson watching? Awful player. 

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Any Saints fan saying that Montgomery is a good signing either wasn’t at our last away game last season in Perth or had their eyes closed for the first hour. He was shite overall for us in his spell at Pittodrie, but he plumbed new depths that night in the hour or so that he was on the pitch. What was Calum Davidson watching? Awful player. 

A recurring concern, he gave Crawford and McPherson two and a half year deals (and paid a decent fee for McPherson) after both underwhelmed in their 6 month loan spells. 

Montgomery will surely just be here to cover whilst Gallacher and Booth recover from their injuries. Seems sensible to me and I doubt we’d have been inundated with other sport term options for that position. Signing makes sense, whether he’s good enough or not remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

While I don't think for a minute he'll get a chance, did he not also break/fracture his shoulder/collarbone in their last game of the season.

So wondering if he would have been fit to take part in any case. 

Ah I’d totally missed that. 🤦🏼‍♂️

3 hours ago, gingermunkie said:

Ah I’d totally missed that. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I don't know for certain he's still injured though.

Don't know for certain how bad the injury was but I do know he did go off injured in their last game. I've seen it noted elsewhere online that it was a fracture to his collarbone. IF that's that is actually true there's a good chance he's still out.

Although, can't see him being involved regardless.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Just shows the apathy around the club. A new signing announced nearly 2 hours ago and not 1 post about it on here 

Because it was discussed 4hrs ago, tbf.

Goalkeepers

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2024 

Craig Hepburn - 2023

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Daniel Cleary - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on lob from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  

Bailey Pert - 2023

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023

Theo Bair - 2024

Offered New Deals 

Zander Clark

Unknown

Liam Palmer

Spencer Moreland

Taylor Steven

Released/left the club 

Shaun Rooney (Fleetwood Town)

Efe Ambrose 

Jamie McCart (Rotherham United)

Sam Denham (East Fife)

Craig Bryson (Stenhousemuir)

Liam Craig (stays on as a coach) 

Jacob Butterfield

Jordan Northcott (Brechin City)

Nadir Ciftci

Jahmal Hector-Ingram 

Callum Hendry (Salford City) 

Loans Expired

Glenn Middleton

Tom Sang

haven’t added Carey yet because it’s not official but you can assume he’ll be another one added in midfield  

seems that Eetu isn’t in Spain with the rest of the squad so you can safely assume he’s not in the plans and won’t get a chance.  

Still gaping holes in the goalkeeper’s position and up top and we need more dig in midfield too.  We need to find goals too. 

Given all the quality we’ve lost, we still have a long way to go. We’ve signed 4 players now (assuming Carey does join) and the manager said 5 or 6. I think we need more than 1 or 2 more frankly. 

First choice GK, RWB, holding midfielder, and CF if we play the same shape, if we change shape then switch RWB to RB and add a new RW.

That's what I think we need to say we've improved from last season.

We could get away with Wright being a regular if we add real quality up front maybe.

5 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Robbie Deas would fit into that category - would be a very good signing but can’t see it happening.

4 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Robbie Deas would fit into that category - would be a very good signing but can’t see it happening.

I'd guess Considine signing killed that.

No chance we run with 5 senior CBs.