Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

35 minutes ago, Radford said:

Think some of the comments around various platforms on Jamie McCart are harsh. 

He developed into a good player for Saints and more than played his part in the success last season. Like virtually everyone, he had a dip this season but I thought from when the transfer window closed he was back to being one of our top performers and a big part of making sure we didn't finish bottom.

How does in the Championship will provide a decent indicator to the quality of that league. 

Spot on. He really raised his form when he needed to in the second half of the season and the year we won both cups he was excellent. He’s not the biggest defender and can often be bullied slightly, but his recovery tackles and general positioning is excellent. I’m not convinced he’s got the physicality to cope in that league, unlike Kerr; however his use of the ball gives him an advantage over the usual cloggers, as well as his left foot. 

I suspect he’ll do alright without being amazing in that league and I’d expect him to drop down a league at some point and be a lot more comfortable. But best of luck to him, much like all the others he’s earned his chance and I’m glad he’s away down south. 

Montgomery in on loan 

Interesting one, seems to be rated highly by some in the game. Understanding is he can play over most the left side so likely cover for Booth & Gallacher until they recover from injuries.

No issue with Montgomery filling a gap in the squad until our two LB’s return.  

This is it for me, it’s short term he won’t be here beyond July next year if even January. It’s solely cover and means we don’t need to rush back Booth or Gallacher.

Or is that too sensible a thought on this one?

Just now, mizfit said:

This is it for me, it’s short term he won’t be here beyond July next year if even January. It’s solely cover and means we don’t need to rush back Booth or Gallacher.

Or is that too sensible a thought on this one?

Exactly. We know James Brown can fill in there too.  Sensible all round.

Callum Davidson has done the right thing here. It would have been a dereliction of duty to go into the season without a natural in that left back area and Booth and Gallacher still sidelined. 

Days of Carey and Considine playing there are surely past and whilst James Brown stepped in fine, the idea you might have needed to rely on him for weeks/months would have been a concern, especially in system we play. 

A loan was the obvious short-term fix and everyone gains something from this, plus it's a player with knowledge of the league. 

I think some of the McCart criticism is that the form drop off coincided with the Hibs chat so it looked a bit like a "head turning" moment.  

He definitely stepped up at the 11th hour though and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on down south.

The Montgomery move seems sensible. Booth and Gallacher are our signed up options with Gallacher being gambled on as the longer term option. 

Montgomery can play until they are ready to come back.

How many games is Booth expected to miss?

Last I remember reading they were talking about him playing in the ICT games.

26 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Good signing guys 

This is my worry.

All well and good finding the logic in it, but the guy is absolutely shite and unlikely to be any use, and we'll end up dropping him after a couple of games at best anyway.

700 career minutes at this level and just 1 full game.

Edited by RandomGuy.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is my worry.

All well and good finding the logic in it, but the guy is absolutely shite and unlikely to be any use, and we'll end up dropping him after a couple of games at best anyway.

My opinion is slightly biased by the whole circumstances around him coming in on deadline day, but other than a decent assist against Motherwell he offered absolutely nothing. 

My overriding memory of him is that he played like he was playing for Celtic I.e he anticipated teams sitting off him and that he’d have loads of time on the ball, not realising it’s a bit different for Aberdeen. 

I may be wrong because ultimately we didn’t see a great deal of him but my prediction is that he’s pish. 

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

My opinion is slightly biased by the whole circumstances around him coming in on deadline day, but other than a decent assist against Motherwell he offered absolutely nothing. 

My overriding memory of him is that he played like he was playing for Celtic I.e he anticipated teams sitting off him and that he’d have loads of time on the ball, not realising it’s a bit different for Aberdeen. 

I may be wrong because ultimately we didn’t see a great deal of him but my prediction is that he’s pish. 

Yeah whenever I saw him he looked awful. No idea where to be when off the ball so just left space behind him.

My early prediction is he plays 3 games for us, finishes 2, and James Brown replaces him or we rush Booth back before the league season starts.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is my worry.

You see much of his 700 minutes to be such a good judge of him? We need cover, so it’s a wise move imo, but I’ve no personal gripe with the club 

I’m not thrilled by the signing, but I’ll admit it makes sense short term. As for him being a naive OF youngster, so was Darnell Fisher and he turned out all right in the end! So fingers crossed it’s more like that than Wallace Duffy! That being said, left back should never be an issue with Davidson in charge, least of all tactically! 

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Even if James Brown can cover at left-back, we are still stretched and we’re only one injury away (to either Brown or Wright) from requiring a new recruit. Makes sense to me.

MOH can play there too.

Cleary could play RB in a back four if we're forced into changing shape.

Carey has played LWB for CSKA Sofia over the past year.

It a depends on when Booth/Gallacher are due back really.

Edited by RandomGuy.