Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Radford said:

We'll see what today brings but disappointed we appear to be heading for an intensive week in Spain - where presumably they are going to work on tactical stuff - without a first choice goalkeeper or any new attacking players.

Pragmatists/cynics will always tell you players just go where the money is but you have to wonder if attacking players look at St Johnstone under Callum Davidson and think that just isn't for them. 

As someone else said, the goalkeeper one is harder to figure out as that should be a far more appealing prospect. I refuse to believe we are going to end up with someone like Gary Woods. 

The assumption has already been touched upon but the League Cup section is going to need to become our pre-season programme. 

Without downplaying their value to the team, the goalkeeping position is probably the one where a keeper could rock up the day before the match and slot into a team the easiest. If we don't sign one until nearer the start of the season, it's not a massive concern.

Depending on moves elsewhere, the club could be waiting on other stuff to happen to free players up. Not saying him, but the Joe Lewis situation being an example. He'll probably move elsewhere if Aberdeen bring in the guy from Ipswich. That will apply all over the shop. Saints rarely are or will ever be the instigator of transfer dominoes, but often we pick up the players losing their place as a result.

As for treating the LC games as pre season, I'd be annoyed if we do. Real opportunity (obviously) for us to win a major trophy or at least get to the latter stages, so why dick about when there is plenty of friendlies we could be having to sharpen the team. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Every other club at this level uses a combo of pre season games first and then league cup games to get the squad match fit and then have a bit of space for experimentation with systems/players, while still ensuring you have enough to get through the group. Meaning that by the first league game in just over a month the squad is already in a competitive mindset and isn’t still getting back to full match fitness.

Condensing all of that prep into 4 league cup games and 1 friendly means that:

- We’re risking our place in the next cup round
- We will have less time to get games into likes of Bair/Vertainen since focus in cup games and the friendly will be on ensuring first 11 are fit by MD1
- Similarly, less time to experiment with different systems beyond the 5-3-2
- We will be at a match fitness disadvantage by the first game compared to other teams in the league as we will have played less games.

Another decision from the club that absolutely stinks.

14 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Can’t say I’m thrilled at the prospect of treating the League Cup as pre-season, you only need to go back to 19/20 to see what can happen. Stinks of arrogance 

100% agree. If we have a poor start in the league (given the fixtures, that’s a distinct possibility too) it’ll be all for nought as well. 

I’ll be much happier when Davidson leaves Saints to be honest. There is absolutely no logic in risking our place in the league cup just to avoid a couple of friendlies and to spend an extra 10 days on the golf course. 

50 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I mean, you lads are moaning about the prospect of Gary Woods. A week ago it looked like your options were Ian Lawlor or Jack Hamilton. Some upgrade tbf.

Im still half hoping we fail with every target just to see what would happen with Sinclair as first choice.

I'm more than convinced we'll be relegated by March tbh, so I'm refusing to get too worked up at this stage. Like who's going to be worse than us this season? Kilmarnock and McInnes? 

Aberdeen and Hibs are launching money at their squads and both have double figure strikers in Ramirez/Nisbet and likely great keepers in Hladky/Marshall. St Mirren will be better this season as they've settled with their new manager now. County seem to have a plan with their signings and will undoubtedly have a raft of English ones coming in once their contracts end next month.

We're clearly both the worst squad and worst prepared. I'd hoped some early transfer business would show some promise but instead we got two lazy signings which are downgrades on what they're replacing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm more than convinced we'll be relegated by March tbh... 

You say that most years in fairness! I'd usually make a point about negativity achieving nothing but it's hard to argue against what you've said. 

Outside of our bogging run before Xmas, we picked up points at the same rate as the rest of the pack last season on but it's hard to look at our squad and not feel it's the poorest in the league. And on top of that, we now lack the transfer direction/strategy of virtually all our peers. 

Getting extreme 2001/02 vibes at the moment I'm afraid. We'll all be wearing Andy Considine wigs soon. 

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

And on top of that, we now lack the transfer direction/strategy of virtually all our peers. 

Aye.

Back to having a small pool of players to pick from while our competitors are expanding their ranges and taking advantage of the weak work permit rules.

In saying that, even if we did sign some wunderkid from Europe they wouldn't set foot on the pitch until about November.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye.

Back to having a small pool of players to pick from while our competitors are expanding their ranges and taking advantage of the weak work permit rules.

In saying that, even if we did sign some wunderkid from Europe they wouldn't set foot on the pitch until about November.

I’m so bored I’ve taken to reading the threads for other teams, and finding pages about signings or potential signings. Our thread is dead and full of pessimism that is actually realism based on previous experience.

2 hours ago, andrewh said:

I’m so bored I’ve taken to reading the threads for other teams, and finding pages about signings or potential signings. Our thread is dead and full of pessimism that is actually realism based on previous experience.

I was hoping the negativity was just me at my usual tbh, and it's a bit worrying that a lot of others are at it too this Summer.

Am I the only one majorly seething at this preseason trip? 24 players and all the staff going away will have cost something similar to the wage of a new player for a season so why are we wasting it on a group of players who don’t really deserve it???

31 minutes ago, TheRealNumber5 said:

Am I the only one majorly seething at this preseason trip? 24 players and all the staff going away will have cost something similar to the wage of a new player for a season so why are we wasting it on a group of players who don’t really deserve it???

Don’t see too much of an issue in it, teams go away all the time and we’ve regularly been to Northern Ireland in the past. I’d argue going to Murcia is a much better use of money than going to Belfast…

Edited by PSJ.84

Don’t see too much of an issue in it, teams go away all the time and we’ve regularly been to Northern Ireland in the past. I’d argue going to Murcia is a much better use of money than going to Belfast…

I think almost every team in Scotland is away over themselves. Certainly more common than it used to.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think almost every team in Scotland is away over themselves. Certainly more common than it used to.

Aye, according to this it’s only Livi who aren’t away somewhere, that might be wrong. Other than United and St. Mirren, who are in England and Northern Ireland respectively, the rest of the league are abroad. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61809783.amp

21 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye, according to this it’s only Livi who aren’t away somewhere, that might be wrong. Other than United and St. Mirren, who are in England and Northern Ireland respectively, the rest of the league are abroad. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61809783.amp

We're away in Spain atm. We pretty much go every year