Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The home form needs sorted and, tbf, has done since before Davidson took charge.

When were we last actually entertaining to watch at McDiarmid? The aforementioned season with Kennedy and Watt up front?

A problem with entertainment though is that not long after the clocks go back, the pitch starts to become an issue. Every year. 

Maybe this time it'll be different... 

A lot of work to do though from not just when we were at the peak of our powers under Davidson but even just from little over a month ago. 

McCart and Rooney have been replaced with solid but unspectacular options. Wright and Considine will likely do fine enough if they stay fit but it would be a fair stretch to say they will improve the second worst team in the league. 

On top of them though, Clark and Hendry - our best two players last season - need replaced, plus there is the catchup work to do from players we've lost over the past year and with whom replacements haven't really done it.

Like @Kyle said, I fear that given previous comments about getting a good start in the league, that the League Cup group games are going to be treated as friendlies. At most there will likely be one other game in this country before we play Cove Rangers.

The trip to Spain makes it hard I suppose but neither the manager nor, in truth, the club, can afford a disappointing outcome from a section containing Ayr, QoS, Annan and Elgin. 

Not that anyone cares but I'm one of the ones who didn't renew, I don't expect us to win every week but I was naively hoping we might occasionally set up to try and score goals and maybe even win the odd game, but it's simply the most soul destroying set of games I've ever sat through, I was genuinely coming away from games absolutely miserable.

Can't imagine I'm alone in that

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

Not that anyone cares but I'm one of the ones who didn't renew, I don't expect us to win every week but I was naively hoping we might occasionally set up to try and score goals and maybe even win the odd game, but it's simply the most soul destroying set of games I've ever sat through, I was genuinely coming away from games absolutely miserable.

Can't imagine I'm alone in that

I also haven’t renewed yet and don’t think I will. Similarly, I know we aren’t going to win every week but I’ve always enjoyed watching Saints on the whole, until last season.

Off the top of my head there were 2 full games in the league (the 2nd Hearts and 2nd Aberdeen fixture) that I  enjoyed watching. The first half against Dundee in the 3-1 and then a couple of isolated moments like Hendry’s goal against Motherwell and the 2 late goals against Inverness. The rest was absolutely hopeless stuff and not worth the 2hr round trip from Edinburgh. 

I’m very anti-Davidson and struggling to find any motivation or excitement for this season. And there’s not really been anything from the club to generate any excitement either. It’s like they’re all just going through the motions and are happy enough to be there and plenty folk are happy enough with that. We won a fucking cup double and it has just completely passed us by - there were a couple of photo ops here and there, they maybe had them out on the pitch once or twice early in the season but it just feels like nobody really gives much of a f**k about trying to push St Johnstone above the “wee team that’s just happy to be there” mindset. 

Maybe I’m being overly harsh and hopefully some excitement will come back if we manage to make a couple of decent signings etc. No doubt I’ll still pick and choose to attend plenty of games next season but it’s hard to imagine right now. 

25 minutes ago, Goran said:

I also haven’t renewed yet and don’t think I will. Similarly, I know we aren’t going to win every week but I’ve always enjoyed watching Saints on the whole, until last season.

Off the top of my head there were 2 full games in the league (the 2nd Hearts and 2nd Aberdeen fixture) that I  enjoyed watching. The first half against Dundee in the 3-1 and then a couple of isolated moments like Hendry’s goal against Motherwell and the 2 late goals against Inverness. The rest was absolutely hopeless stuff and not worth the 2hr round trip from Edinburgh. 

I’m very anti-Davidson and struggling to find any motivation or excitement for this season. And there’s not really been anything from the club to generate any excitement either. It’s like they’re all just going through the motions and are happy enough to be there and plenty folk are happy enough with that. We won a fucking cup double and it has just completely passed us by - there were a couple of photo ops here and there, they maybe had them out on the pitch once or twice early in the season but it just feels like nobody really gives much of a f**k about trying to push St Johnstone above the “wee team that’s just happy to be there” mindset. 

Maybe I’m being overly harsh and hopefully some excitement will come back if we manage to make a couple of decent signings etc. No doubt I’ll still pick and choose to attend plenty of games next season but it’s hard to imagine right now. 

The Davidson vs Tommy Wright thing is interesting because that cup double should end any argument, it could also be rose tinted spectacles but I feel like I enjoyed watching TW's teams play more than CD's.

Don't get me wrong, we've played some honking stuff in the past and it wasn't exactly Tiki-Taka under Wright, but at least most of the time I got what the plan was. With TW, when he was tactically right he got it really right, and when he got it wrong it was utterly horrific but at least he had tactics, I'm more and more convinced that CD had a system that's been handed down to him by coaches he's worked with and has been bailed out big time and lucky in having talent like Rooney, McCann and Kerr to actually make it work.

Davidson has no plan, I'm more convinced than ever that he just drills a basic defensive shape and hopes to get lucky with someone doing something exceptional. Memory might be letting me down here, but I think MOH had a strong game against Dundee as a RWB, so the next home game against Livi all we did was hump 50 yard switches at him thinking that would work, it's such a basic grasp of attacking planning. You could point to the players and other coaches but CD is clearly so stubborn as all he'll talk about after games is the refs and how it's not his tactics that are at fault, so clearly this is all on him.

I'm not optimistic ahead of next season, but I mean that more in a purer sense of just having some joy in my life by watching my team. Sure we might stay up again, but I can't see it being something many people enjoy watching and that's the real sickener after being in such a strong position after the double win.

33 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

The Davidson vs Tommy Wright thing is interesting because that cup double should end any argument.

Longevity wins it for TW, for me.

Callum Davidson will be remembered forever as the manager who led us to our greatest ever achievement, but TW took us to an unprecedented level of sustained success over a decade and is our greatest manager. 

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Nobody will be as poor as Dundee this season. 

We're heavy, heavy favourites for relegation under Davidson. 

Poor tactics. Poor substitutions. Poor signings. 

Hibs and Killie are our hopes, I think. 

Lee Johnson reeks of failure and Hibs squad looks primed for disaster. Killies squad is shit just now too.

Guess the issue is Hibs can spend a fortune in January and McInnes will definitely improve Kilmarnock by the end of the window.

I just hope we've got some high quality signings coming in, but the whole club stinks of one who thinks the form from January is proof we weren't the 2nd worst side last season tbh. Get a wee bit more solid and get some luck and we'll be fine type mindset.

38 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Nobody will be as poor as Dundee this season. 

We're heavy, heavy favourites for relegation under Davidson. 

Poor tactics. Poor substitutions. Poor signings. 

But he'll point us to being a few of wins away from mid table security and refereeing decisions costing us those wins last season. All is fine and dandy at St Johnstone.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Longevity wins it for TW, for me.

Callum Davidson will be remembered forever as the manager who led us to our greatest ever achievement, but TW took us to an unprecedented level of sustained success over a decade and is our greatest manager. 

Maybe slightly unfair, but I always felt like Wright had a proper affection for the club, almost like a supporter - however cringeworthy that sounds. Never felt it with Davidson after either cup win, certainly don’t feel it now. Although that might just be due to his personality (or lack of)

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It'll be very interesting to see how the season ticket sales actually go. Then if it's picked up on by Davidson's pet journalists and how they spin it. 

Unless Steve Brown does an interview and has a pop about the support, I doubt we’ll ever know. It’s clear looking at the ticket page that numbers are well down (albeit it’s still relatively early and pay day is coming up). 

I ended up buying one, not because I have any great desire to watch us right now.  I felt compelled to get my son his first season ticket, which he’ll be far too young to use anyway. Hoping Davidson proves me wrong and he can show more ambition and adaptability but I have zero expectation that will be the case. 

Edited by Kyle

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hibs and Killie are our hopes, I think. 

Lee Johnson reeks of failure and Hibs squad looks primed for disaster. Killies squad is shit just now too.

Guess the issue is Hibs can spend a fortune in January and McInnes will definitely improve Kilmarnock by the end of the window.

I just hope we've got some high quality signings coming in, but the whole club stinks of one who thinks the form from January is proof we weren't the 2nd worst side last season tbh. Get a wee bit more solid and get some luck and we'll be fine type mindset.

Hibs will be nowhere near the bottom. Killie as it stands have the poorest squad in the league and will struggle.

7 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Maybe slightly unfair, but I always felt like Wright had a proper affection for the club, almost like a supporter - however cringeworthy that sounds. Never felt it with Davidson after either cup win, certainly don’t feel it now. Although that might just be due to his personality (or lack of)

Davidson was robbed of forming a bond with supporters due to the Covid season, tbf to him. I imagine it would've been different had we actually been there for the cup runs.