Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Sites like Football Scotland are these agent-led ones. All the stories seem to come from agents trying to fix up their clients. 

The sort of site that linked Scott Tanser to about 10 clubs over a four-month period post-Xmas last year.

Their articles usually start with something like "a host of clubs are chasing" some jobber player.

Certainly interesting to read the stuff from Davidson in local press today. Saying all the right things about us being far more flexible and adaptable, specifically mentioning a back four. 

Just paying lip service or do we think he'll really change? 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Certainly interesting to read the stuff from Davidson in local press today. Saying all the right things about us being far more flexible and adaptable, specifically mentioning a back four. 

He said almost exactly the same things in January. 

17 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And said he doesn't prefer 3 at the back.

"I don't want to play a back 3, I just play to the strengths of my squad", from the guy who's spent over £250k, signed about 20 players, and most of that has been spent signing players to play in his back 5 system.

Pretending that adding a fourth senior CB, in Considine, is somehow proof he wants to play a back four and not a three is just baffling logic.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The flexible and adaptable part is the key for me.

I don’t mind us playing 3 centre backs when the occasion calls for it; against the OF or some tougher away matches, but we have to be able to mix it up, especially for most home matches when we need to be looking to win, or when we’re chasing a game.

On the rare occasions we have switched to a back 4 we’ve generally struggled and it seemed obvious it wasn’t something we had practised or were prepared for. 

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it comes to anything, fully expect more of the same tactically, especially if we get off to a reasonable start using it.

I think the league cup games allow us to experiment more with formations and players. I certainly expect to see us trying a different shape as and when needed, but 3 at the back will be his default.

I’m just more surprised Brown has approved a trip to Spain for the players.

1 hour ago, FrankChickens1 said:

League Cup games also the ideal time to see Vertainen and Bair

Davidson's history – exhausting the same pool of players during last year's League Cup/Europa League, hardly experimenting in the dead rubber v Hibs – suggests he won't ever experiment.

Edited by Mr Heliums

He surely has to utilise the squad in the group stages We have one friendly arranged (a few days before our first competitive fixture), unless there are ones we haven’t been told about (which wouldn’t be surprising given the comms that come out of the club). 

seems like the league cup group may be being used as our pre-season program which I can’t say I’m particularly impressed about. We have 2 chances of winning trophies a season and we could potentially be throwing away one of them before we even kick a ball. 

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

Davidson's history – exhausting the same pool of players during last year's League Cup/Europa League, hardly experimenting in the dead rubber v Hibs – suggests he won't ever experiment.

Bair was apparently set to start v Hibs but got injured, tbf. In saying that the choice of playing Parish over Sinclair seemed pointless.

I wonder if wee Max is the wildcard this season. He’s in the squad, he’s clearly highly thought of and you’d imagine they’d want him to get minutes. Give him the chance in the group stages against teams of a level he’ll have faced before and see if he makes an impact. If not, then get him on loan to a Championship team for 6 months! 

Bair was apparently set to start v Hibs but got injured, tbf. In saying that the choice of playing Parish over Sinclair seemed pointless.

I’m guessing Parrish was all but confirmed going before they offered him an extension. Final appearance and all that.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Missed the Season Ticket renewal date & now my seat is greyed out. Don't know if it's been sold or they just haven't taken the reserved ones off yet?

Seat next to me hasn't renewed and went blue on Monday evening. 

32 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I was told Zander had a knock and was 50/50 for ICT match so needed a game in parish just incase

Not sure if this is good or bad tbh.

Missed the Season Ticket renewal date & now my seat is greyed out. Don't know if it's been sold or they just haven't taken the reserved ones off yet?
Two out of three of mine were gone so I had to move.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Seat next to me hasn't renewed and went blue on Monday evening. 

2 hours ago, nelsjfc said:
4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Two out of three of mine were gone so I had to move.

Thanks guys.