Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Think you are unfairly criticising Wright & Considine for being shite. Not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination but far from shite IMO. 

Considine is fine quality wise based on everything before last season. Its his ACL injury combined with his age, and fact he broke down quickly after having full rehabilitation and recovery is why I'm against it. I don't think he'll ever fully recover from that injury (May hasnt) so won't be any use, but now we're tied to him for 2 years.

Wright is a squad player. He shouldn't be Rooneys replacement and I hope he's not.

We’re signing back up players from clubs who were barely better than us for most of last season on 2 year deals. Appreciate they’re bigger clubs but Considine not playing for most of last season is a concern, and Drey Wright has always looked alright but his actual tangible contribution has been pretty poor.  

If he’s signed to play RWB, as you’d have to assume he is, that’s probably where he played his most effective football for us. His pace carries him forward and he’s fine defensively. If we can find a way for him to link with Wotherspoon (and Hallberg) then he might do well, especially if Cleary is going to play bombing CB next season.

The two most predictable Davidson signings available and they’re our first two signings. I said before I’d be happy with solid premiership signings, hopefully they prove to be that. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He wasn't though, he done it occasionally, then inevitably lost the ball, but the majority of the time that was from right wing rather than wing back, which makes a difference in our system now we camp them back in a flat 5 when defending. You're only remembering his best bits, same as folk done with MOH, they forgot all about the fact he vanished for months at a time.

If we get Wright back to "what he was with us" we'll be getting an inconsistent winger with no end product who, even at his best, isn't an individual match winner.

And yes, Rooney was hugely important. We looked like shit when he didn't play and when he did a lot of good things came from him gambling and using his physicality further forward. That's ignoring how much we lose at set plays without him.

Honestly terrified of the keeper signing now, and f**k knows what's appearing if we lose Hendry.

See I think that could also be applied to you with Rooney, who I loved and is a club legend.  He scored one goal from set pieces last season. Not singling him out, as our attacking threat was poor throughout the team last season.  He created very little as well.

I have been bemused by the attitude to Wright since he left as I seemed to remember him being one of our stand out players. I thought most Saints fans felt this way at the time as well and the negative attitude towards him is very revisionist, though I might have to go back and look to be sure.

Wasn’t desperate to re-sign him as I don’t know how he’ll perform now, but certainly not disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

The business you lot do sure does make me feel a lot better about the deals we’ve already done

Oh aye, the signings are as boring as Callum Davidson’s interview persona suggests they might be.

Weirdly if we still had TW in charge I'd be more optimistic with these as the types of signings he would get the best out of and who would do a job, but CD has shown he accidentally stumbled upon a system with players who performed at an exceptional level to hide the deficiencies (Rooney, Kerr and McCann) 

TW's teams were always built with an ethos of being hard to beat, solid at the back but they also had some kind of focal point and plan in attack, with a talisman like Swanson/MOH/May who had enough quality to win enough games to keep us fairly comfortable.

CD has shown no ability to set up a team to win games, we have no plan when we have the ball and it shows, the players off the ball make no movement because their primary focus is being in the position to return to shape when we lose it, and it gives the guy on the ball zero options and we've been completely figured out.

Considine is a decent enough defender who is left footed so can replace McCart, I imagine he's also perfectly able to shin 50 yard cross balls out of play and then throw his hands around so that's the replacement there, but neither he nor Gordon have pace, and if the RCB is expected to push forward and overlap we are going to be exposed to f*ck, or more likely, the LWB and a defender will have to sit back and cover and we will be even more predictable than ever.

I always liked Wright and he's a decent enough squad player, but he's likely being tasked to replace the most irreplaceable St Johnstone player of my lifetime in Rooney.

Unless we somehow can find some quality players who are capable of winning a game on their own then we're f*cked because the manager doesn't set us up to win games and he doesn't make subs within games to go for wins either, and it's hard to really point at any of his signings and call them an overwhelming success so limited confidence in that.

The one good thing to come from this, at least we know we're getting Macron again next season and not having to face the awful Joma experience again!

Can’t really complain about this although I’ve not been too impressed with the Macron efforts so far. Still waiting on that one kit that blows us all away. But yeah, f**k Joma.

33 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

See I think that could also be applied to you with Rooney, who I loved and is a club legend.  He scored one goal from set pieces last season. Not singling him out, as our attacking threat was poor throughout the team last season.  He created very little as well.

Rooney wasn't a creative player, he was clumsy and his crosses were generally just blooters into the box without aim.

My point is we don't set up under Davidson to create chances. It felt like a lot of the time it relied on Rooney either muscling past players, sometimes two, to actually create openings. Something we didn't get anywhere else on the pitch. 

From set plays he was a threat and would attract the opponents best defender. That freed McCart and Gordon up a lot, who just didn't do well enough with the chances they got.

Drey Wright provides none of that, so we'll be less threatening in open play and set plays.

We weren't ever likely to replace Rooney outright, but why not go for a Peter Kioso? Likely available on loan from Luton, contract expires next Summer, and physically matches Rooney? Or gamble on Tumilty, huge attacking figures for Raith last season and deserves a step up, available for nothing?

I just see no logic in Drey Wright being first choice RWB for us, in a different team with a different set up maybe. It's just a lazy, half arsed signing and absolutely reeks of the "that'll do" approach Davidson has to transfer windows. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Or gamble on Tumilty, huge attacking figures for Raith last season and deserves a step up, available for nothing.

Was going to say I’d be amazed if we hadn’t explored this but it actually wouldn’t surprise me at all

Edited by PSJ.84

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney wasn't a creative player, he was clumsy and his crosses were generally just blooters into the box without aim.

My point is we don't set up under Davidson to create chances. It felt like a lot of the time it relied on Rooney either muscling past players, sometimes two, to actually create openings. Something we didn't get anywhere else on the pitch. 

From set plays he was a threat and would attract the opponents best defender. That freed McCart and Gordon up a lot, who just didn't do well enough with the chances they got.

Drey Wright provides none of that, so we'll be less threatening in open play and set plays.

We weren't ever likely to replace Rooney outright, but why not go for a Peter Kioso? Likely available on loan from Luton, contract expires next Summer, and physically matches Rooney? Or gamble on Tumilty, huge attacking figures for Raith last season and deserves a step up, available for nothing.

I just see no logic in Drey Wright being first choice RWB for us, in a different team with a different set up maybe.

I guess the pace is the one thing Wright brings that others didn’t, and it’s something we don’t have a lot of in our team.

The one positive in that is hopefully we move away from our main attacking option being a long diagonal for Rooney to head on. No fault of his, but it’s been a tactic we’ve used a lot this past season that has brought us very little joy.

The most depressing part is how many fans are accepting signing dross is the best we can expect.
The idea of us signing first teamers from other sides and lower league talent has suddenly become impossible for us to target or achieve, so this is our lot.

The comments thread on the FB announcement post is truly bewildering. Folk unanimously hailing them as “great signings.”

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Was going to say I’d be amazed if we hadn’t explored this but it actually wouldn’t surprise me at all

I'd hope we had, probably harsh/unfair of me to criticise us not getting him, but if he signs for St Mirren I'd be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I guess the pace is the one thing Wright brings that others didn’t, and it’s something we don’t have a lot of in our team.

The one positive in that is hopefully we move away from our main attacking option being a long diagonal for Rooney to head on. No fault of his, but it’s been a tactic we’ve used a lot this past season that has brought us very little joy.

How does playing Wright there differ to what O'Halloran brought us in that position, in attack?

It's just a pointless signing for the first team, so I'm hoping he's a back up, but he's talking as if he's been guaranteed to start.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's just a lazy, half arsed signing and absolutely reeks of the "that'll do" approach Davidson has to transfer windows. 

I think it's more a reflection of Davidson's caution. He's reluctant to sign players unless they've either played lots of games in Scottish football or Gary Rowett has recommended them. If neither of those is the case he won't play them until he 'trusts' them, which is usually two or three months before their contract ends.

I think he has absolutely no confidence in his own judgement of a player.

EDIT: And he's not bothered about signing crocks on two-year deals because one way or another he knows he's never going to be able to build a young and exciting team here. He's not interested.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Interesting you can see Considines knee scar in the photos, at least May can discuss the best way to recover from your knee blowing apart with a fellow sufferer I guess.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I think he has absolutely no confidence in his own judgement of a player.

Oh, he does. 

As a veteran Davidson watcher this is where I reckon his thinking is with what we’ve signed and what’s to hopefully come - forgive the dreadful graphics IMG_2817.jpg

Would hope it would also include a winger or two to give us the option to go 5-2-3 in his system.

I’ve said before I don’t think Wright is a bad player and I agree he was good for us when he was here. But main issue is this and Considine are just really lazy signings and after the season we’ve just had I hoped the manager would recognise we need to arrest the club’s decline over the last year. Instead, we’ve basically replaced two of our most important players over last two years with signings we know will be a clear downgrade with little potential to improve.

I expect the same will happen in goal with either a pudding like Jack Hamilton or at best someone bang average like Macey. And then upfront if Hendry doesn’t stay - from a quick scan of the upcoming free agents I can see Davidson chucking two-year deals at Marc McNulty and Danny Mullen after spending as much time scouting as I’ve just done on a break at work.

The evidence suggests he doesn’t seem to understand how close he came to undoing all of a decade’s good work and relegating us last season.