Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I’m happy enough with Drey Wright if we can get him back to how he was when he left us. Let’s be honest, he’s not the first player who’s gone to Hibs and not produced then been a success elsewhere. I could name 3 former Saints players alone that applies to.

This narrative that he didn’t do much when he was here previously has been pulled out of the air. He was one of our better players, regardless of goals and assists.

Again, not a hugely imaginative signing, but he’ll be a good attacking right wing back bringing pace to the side.

If we get the defence and goalkeepers sorted early on with reliable players, then hopefully we can turn full attention to midfield and forward areas with a couple of more ‘box office’ signings. 

The most depressing part is how many fans are accepting signing dross is the best we can expect.

The idea of us signing first teamers from other sides and lower league talent has suddenly become impossible for us to target or achieve, so this is our lot.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m happy enough with Drey Wright if we can get him back to how he was when he left us. Let’s be honest, he’s not the first player who’s gone to Hibs and not produced then been a success elsewhere. I could name 3 former Saints players alone that applies to.

This narrative that he didn’t do much when he was here previously has been pulled out of the air. He was one of our better players, regardless of goals and assists.

Wright is coming into a system that relies entirely on the wing backs creating or scoring.

Shaun Rooney was so important to us because literally everything went through him and he was capable of creating even when doubled up on. We're replacing him with a player who, from fans who are actually agreeing with the signing are admitting, creates nothing and scores nothing.

Hmmm…….

Not pissed off, not overly excited.
Wright was inevitable after being spotted at the playoff, although we lose Rooney TRS sums it’s up, he was an enigma that we’ll probably never see again. Wright might suit RWB alright, I’m more concerned of his confidence after having Hibs fans turn on him back in January.

Considine, 35 years old. He is a good pro and a veteran to have around Cleary, Gordon & Mahon and I’d rather sign someone experienced than someone who is a Millwall U-23.

Early days, we’ll see what else this window has before I kick off or whatnot. At least we’re signing bodies before pre-season this year.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Wright is coming into a system that relies entirely on the wing backs creating or scoring.

Shaun Rooney was so important to us because literally everything went through him and he was capable of creating even when doubled up on. We're replacing him with a player who, from fans who are actually agreeing with the signing are admitting, creates nothing and scores nothing.

I don’t know how he’ll be now after Hibs have sucked the life out of him, but he was brilliant at driving us up the park and turning defence into attack. Yes end product could be better.

Rooney was one of the best big occasion players we’ve ever had, but you really feel that bit in bold is accurate? He didn’t play for the first half of his first season then had an outstanding 5 months. He finished this season on a big high with the play-offs, but has he really done much this season? Obviously he had a spell out injured which didn’t help him.  Does he have many assists? 

The one good thing to come from this, at least we know we're getting Macron again next season and not having to face the awful Joma experience again!

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is the same admirable positivity that some showed when we brought O'Halloran back. Or May. Or Swanson (again). All based on the premise that there is something about McDiarmid that brings the best out of ex-players who have failed elsewhere. That hasn't stood up to scrutiny for years.

I also don't even think Wright was that good for us, at least latterly. I think he did well for a season, got injured, signed a PCA with Hibs and then did absolutely nothing useful for the rest of his time here. I wasn't bothered to see the back of him.

I can understand people rationalising what is a done deal, but a week ago we'd have been appalled at the prospect of these signings.

Edited by Mr Heliums

The one good thing to come from this, at least we know we're getting Macron again next season and not having to face the awful Joma experience again!

Bring back Xara.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t know how he’ll be now after Hibs have sucked the life out of him, but he was brilliant at driving us up the park and turning defence into attack. Yes end product could be better.

Rooney was one of the best big occasion players we’ve ever had, but you really feel that bit in bold is accurate? He didn’t play for the first half of his first season then had an outstanding 5 months. He finished this season on a big high with the play-offs, but has he really done much this season? Obviously he had a spell out injured which didn’t help him.  Does he have many assists? 

He wasn't though, he done it occasionally, then inevitably lost the ball, but the majority of the time that was from right wing rather than wing back, which makes a difference in our system now we camp them back in a flat 5 when defending. You're only remembering his best bits, same as folk done with MOH, they forgot all about the fact he vanished for months at a time.

If we get Wright back to "what he was with us" we'll be getting an inconsistent winger with no end product who, even at his best, isn't an individual match winner.

And yes, Rooney was hugely important. We looked like shit when he didn't play and when he did a lot of good things came from him gambling and using his physicality further forward. That's ignoring how much we lose at set plays without him.

Honestly terrified of the keeper signing now, and f**k knows what's appearing if we lose Hendry.

Just now, Widge said:

You say that, but would you rule out saints not doing something stupid and only wearing training kit now that should have been used last season, only to have to dump it in a few weeks! Let's not forget the mix and match stripe we've had to use in pre season and that the youths and women's teams are wearing kit from 3-4 years ago.

But, yeah, on balance, I think we can assume we will be wearing Macron next season. Will be good to see the kits when they get presented on the day of the first game and on sale in September....

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Who would folk rather have?

Considine and Wright or players on loan like Muller/Dendonker etc who are just not ready for what we will ask of them ?

Stunned it's taken this long for this to come up.

Perhaps there's other options out there, you know, its not just either crocks/proven shit on 2yr deals or school kids on loan.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Perhaps there's other options out there, you know, its not just either crocks/proven shit on 2yr deals or school kids on loan.

Don't disagree with you, and agree their is a bigger pool to chose from (sure that pool will have a toe dipped in soon)

On 31/05/2022 at 17:23, SaintDougie said:

Drey Wright was sat behind us in the Main stand for the return leg against ICT, along with Ali McCann & Jason Kerr. Since then I have been convinced he will be signing for us again at some point in the summer.

🤨 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think you are unfairly criticising Wright & Considine for being shite. Not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination but far from shite IMO. 

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Don't disagree with you, and agree their is a bigger pool to chose from (sure that pool will have a toe dipped in soon)

He's got a huge job now.

I'll retract my Wright complaints if we sign an actual first choice RWB and Wright just takes O'Hallorans squad role, with him punted.

I'll never agree with a 2 year deal for a 35yo who's never proven he's recovered from blowing his knee apart.