Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I won't panic, really, until we hit July and still haven't signed anyone.

The clubs I think we need to watch are Killie, County and St Mirren, and none of them are really improving yet either.

I do, however, worry that the lack of noise means we've yet again failed to sign anyone to a PCA which means we'll be unlikely to get 5/6 starting quality players in this window.

40 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'd be very surprised if Hendry is still here next season. It will all depend on what other offers actually materialise out there and what assurances (and if they are believable) that Davidson could give him. If I was Saints, I'd be making the argument to him that if he had the same scoring rate for next season as he did in the 2nd half of last, he'd be both more likely to get a better move and also getting closer to getting toto Steve Clarkes thoughts (Eamon Brophy being the example). Not that I believe either, but that is what you'd tell him.

Got a feeling we all will get a bit disappointed in the players we sign initially as doubt we will get any really recognisable players, but maybe that is a good thing. Some guys 20-24 age range who are looking to kick on would be good, plus Max, Sinclair and others getting closer to the first team. 

We were down at Fleetwood's training ground for a kids football tournament the other week. With us being Scottish they were keen to talk to us about Brown. The youth coaches there reckon there's 4 or 5 SPFL players signed and sealed but yet to be announced. I would be expecting Hendry to be amongst that lot.

I won't panic, really, until we hit July and still haven't signed anyone.
The clubs I think we need to watch are Killie, County and St Mirren, and none of them are really improving yet either.
I do, however, worry that the lack of noise means we've yet again failed to sign anyone to a PCA which means we'll be unlikely to get 5/6 starting quality players in this window.

I’d say our league position was probably the biggest issue in terms of PCA, why agree when you might be playing a level lower? Look at Dundees issues with Lamie.

Although, I’m really expecting something to be announced in the next couple of days at least.

59 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’d say our league position was probably the biggest issue in terms of PCA, why agree when you might be playing a level lower? Look at Dundees issues with Lamie.

Although, I’m really expecting something to be announced in the next couple of days at least.

I'd expect us to be able to sell ourselves though, even if we look like going down, but that's probably just naive fantasy.

Interesting thread this. That was what Motherwell's pitch looked like yet they have spent over a month working on it (and not even finished yet) whilst Saints had some guys in for a few days and the only notable thing that happened was they can't even check the nuts on the wheel of their tractor. 

I suspect you will very much get what you pay for in both cases... 

13 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

That’s the old pitch though,they’re getting under soil heating and new pitch seeded,it’s nothing like that photo at present. Our heating was ok,hoping we sorted the drainage in corner near car park end though

I think that was Radfords point, they had a great looking pitch but were having issues with it, so spent money overhauling everything below it to try and keep it like that.

We have drainage issues and a shite pitch and simply got it reseeded. It'll probably be worse than it was this year by Christmas. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

22 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

There was more done than reseeded,that’s not 100 grands work,imo 

Just now, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Maybe ask your pal "Broony" about it, as every other job they've done for club they've mentioned if they've renovated the pitch etc.

For us it's just reseeding the main pitch and training pitches, and adding gravel around the training pitches.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe ask your pal "Broony" about it, as every other job they've done for club they've mentioned if they've renovated the pitch etc.

For us it's just reseeding the main pitch and training pitches, and adding gravel around the training pitches.

It's none of my business but if you've supposedly spent £100k on it is it not maybe an idea for the club to actually show what work has been done rather than just partially update the fans?

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's none of my business but if you've supposedly spent £100k on it is it not maybe an idea for the club to actually show what work has been done rather than just partially update the fans?

Saints are awful for pumping out stories that show apparent progress but is actually just half arsed, then relying on their wee fan boys to defend them.

I've zero doubt they've done the minimum possible to the pitch and the "£100k pitch upgrade" was in fact £100k for the work to the 3 pitches combined.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

We were down at Fleetwood's training ground for a kids football tournament the other week. With us being Scottish they were keen to talk to us about Brown. The youth coaches there reckon there's 4 or 5 SPFL players signed and sealed but yet to be announced. I would be expecting Hendry to be amongst that lot.

Fleetwood would make total sense for a few reasons. Obviously Brown will have an eye on a few scottish players, but also its the area Hendry is from, so he will know the club and probably a few folk there. Add to that, that Fleetwood could/would offer more money than Saints. 

6 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Contractors I've used recently charge around £14/m2 for re-instating parks (re-seeding). What's a good guess at the dimensions of the pitch, 100x60? Doesn't leave much change for anything else to be done. 

False economy to choose this route every few years rather than go for one of the modern options. Einstein had it right, insanity.

2 hours ago, RoddysUnusedCondom said:

Contractors I've used recently charge around £14/m2 for re-instating parks (re-seeding). What's a good guess at the dimensions of the pitch, 100x60? Doesn't leave much change for anything else to be done. 

False economy to choose this route every few years rather than go for one of the modern options. Einstein had it right, insanity.

If they do too much, Davidson won’t be able to use the ‘pitch is shite’ deflection when we’re inevitably floundering in October. 

Might just fully embrace the admission that Motherwell are good at this stuff. Great little promo for their new kit, which ties in with it going on sale. 

Saints will have Murray Davidson roll out of bed one morning, throw him an XXL shirt and get him to stand on a half-grown pitch. Then tell everyone it'll be available to pre-order for an unknown date of arrival. 

13 hours ago, Kyle said:

If they do too much, Davidson won’t be able to use the ‘pitch is shite’ deflection when we’re inevitably floundering in October. 

Groundsman will have turned it into marshland by September anyway.

Edited by Mr Heliums