Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Its pleasing that we still seem really active in terms of the youth teams. This time of year you always see us signing a fair amount of youngsters up.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Then release them a few years later. Really really pleasing. 

Aye most probably don't make it, but I'd worry about where we'd be without the youth system lately. Provides us with a decent amount of players all things considered.

Have seen absolutely nothing in Gilmour. What strikes me most though is his poor positional sense. A good defensive midfielder is always in the right place to pick up loose balls or make interceptions but Gilmour always seems to be in the wrong place. 

I think back to the 0-0 draw at Rugby Park, when Liam Gordon came back into the side, in 2019. Tommy Wright also brought Liam Craig back in and I don't think he had to overstretch all night, just always in the right place to cut things out or pick up the ball. 

Gilmour is the complete opposite. Obviously he's still a young player in terms of experience (if not age, at 23) but there has to be part of the ability to read a game that comes naturally, I just don't see any evidence of it from him. 

I liked the idea of Gilmour. EPL drop outs are ones you expect to have high technical ability and just need match experiences to mould them, so the upsides seem pretty high to going down that route.

For whatever reason it's not worked out with him, and I think some of that is him never having a clue how he wanted to play so he's ended up some weird mish mash CM whos never been developed to play a role, but that's likely bollocks and he's just no use.

Shame it's looking like it'll have been a waste of time, but it's a route I wouldn't mind us trying every so often.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I liked the idea of Gilmour. EPL drop outs are ones you expect to have high technical ability and just need match experiences to mould them, so the upsides seem pretty high to going down that route.

For whatever reason it's not worked out with him, and I think some of that is him never having a clue how he wanted to play so he's ended up some weird mish mash CM whos never been developed to play a role, but that's likely bollocks and he's just no use.

Shame it's looking like it'll have been a waste of time, but it's a route I wouldn't mind us trying every so often.

To me, the stuff in the press seems to be Callum saying he thinks he's lazy or not committed, but if he's being compared on those traits to Liam Craig who I assume he was the intended replacement for that's a pretty high bar. 

13 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

To me, the stuff in the press seems to be Callum saying he thinks he's lazy or not committed, but if he's being compared on those traits to Liam Craig who I assume he was the intended replacement for that's a pretty high bar. 

A young lad who's spent the last few years being rejected and dropping down levels is probably going to have lost a lot of love for the game, surely part of the coaching should be to encourage that back. I know it'd be tough going though.

8 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

A young lad who's spent the last few years being rejected and dropping down levels is probably going to have lost a lot of love for the game, surely part of the coaching should be to encourage that back. I know it'd be tough going though.

Yeah Callum needs to learn to stop publicly criticizing players, it’s counter-productive and beginning to annoy me. Words of encouragement for yhe younger players in particular makes far more sense, particularly for someone who is in this situation and maybe lost a bit of love for the game. Deal with any issues around workrate etc behind closed doors. 

12 minutes ago, Johnstoun said:

Agree. Can't imagine that being called out for not 'giving enough' in the national press is going to be much of a motivator. 

Then again we don't know the full story. 

At least Max is getting built up with praise, although I guess that'll end when he loses the ball in a pre-season game trying to take someone on.

I’m really hoping Cammy Ballantyne can come back this season and contribute. Feels like it needs to be this season if it’s going to happen for him at this level, and been getting raved about in league 1. Hasn’t looked out of place in his brief appearances with Saints too. 

33 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

I’m really hoping Cammy Ballantyne can come back this season and contribute. Feels like it needs to be this season if it’s going to happen for him at this level, and been getting raved about in league 1. Hasn’t looked out of place in his brief appearances with Saints too. 

Can't help but wonder if his chance has likely gone, he doesn't even get a mention today while Gilmour and Alex Ferguson do. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't help but wonder if his chance has likely gone, he doesn't even get a mention today while Gilmour and Alex Ferguson do. 

Yeah that’s what made me think about it, although I thought he signed a 2 year extension earlier in the season? 

16 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Yeah that’s what made me think about it, although I thought he signed a 2 year extension earlier in the season? 

Yeah think he signed until 2024 in January.

Makes you wonder if Gilmour doesn't trust his body very much. 

He won't be the first guy hoovered up by the EPL because he looked decent at age 12 or similar that never makes the grade professionally. 

57 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

Likewise for me with Cammy Ballantyne and agree a bit with RG statement above!

A work client of mine goes to a lot of the Montrose games and last year he was raving about Cammy this year he said he was bit Meh and he was a bit disappointed he did not kick on! 

Think he might be a bit Like Liam Caddis sort of peaked at a young age and then never kicked on!   

Yeah think he signed until 2024 in January.

Aye and then went back out on loan until season end whilst we brought Gilmour back. I think he’s just not good enough sadly.

15 minutes ago, Center half said:

Likewise for me with Cammy Ballantyne and agree a bit with RG statement above!

A work client of mine goes to a lot of the Montrose games and last year he was raving about Cammy this year he said he was bit Meh and he was a bit disappointed he did not kick on! 

Think he might be a bit Like Liam Caddis sort of peaked at a young age and then never kicked on!   

That would be a real shame if that’s how it pans out. I’m sure he was in league 1 TOTS this season though? 

was hoping we might get some comments from Montrose fans as they will have seen plenty to know whether he could step up

18 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

That would be a real shame if that’s how it pans out. I’m sure he was in league 1 TOTS this season though? 

was hoping we might get some comments from Montrose fans as they will have seen plenty to know whether he could step up

Yes be good to get some input from others from Montrose on Him!