Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

Hearing Fleetwood Town and Burton Albion are interested in Hendry 😔

Another who’s played his way in to a higher contract elsewhere. Now I may get slaughtered for this and maybe RG has some stats to back it up, but I’m still not convinced he’d be able to back it up again and just think he’s incredibly patchy. I think he had improved as a player and I’d much rather have kept him, but I still think there would be a chance he’d hit 2/3 goals next season much like he did the first time he was made the main striker. 

Another who’s played his way in to a higher contract elsewhere. Now I may get slaughtered for this and maybe RG has some stats to back it up, but I’m still not convinced he’d be able to back it up again and just think he’s incredibly patchy. I think he had improved as a player and I’d much rather have kept him, but I still think there would be a chance he’d hit 2/3 goals next season much like he did the first time he was made the main striker. 

He’s had two consistent runs in our team in different seasons and scored for fun in both. What else does he have to do to shake off this “patchy” label?

In this run compared to 19/20 I think the big difference is that his hold up and general play matches his goal scoring - meaning if he did go through a barren run we wouldn’t be needing to carry him in the team like we maybe would have had to in the past.

Yeah, I think he's predominantly been good when playing with a strike partner? My memory's a bit hazy though. I wasn't bothered about him leaving on loan last season (or at the start of this season), but that was primarily because he wasn't suited to Callum's system involving one lone striker. This likely resulted in a significant hit to his confidence as well.

Yeah, I think he's predominantly been good when playing with a strike partner? My memory's a bit hazy though. I wasn't bothered about him leaving on loan last season (or at the start of this season), but that was primarily because he wasn't suited to Callum's system involving one lone striker. This likely resulted in a significant hit to his confidence as well.

I think it was best for both parties to be honest. If McInnes hadn’t come in at Killie either I don’t think he’d have been back. Just weird how it ended up working out in the end.

In other news…..Wright has been released from Hibs.

And Livi snap up Isma. I'm honestly fuming. We should have secured his services in January, but we opted for Nadir Ciftci.

I genuinely forgot about Isma. Seems to have had a rather unique career also.

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Would love it if St Mirren or the likes come along and gazzump us for Drey Wright. Feels inevitable he’ll sign for us though. 

Drey Wright was sat behind us in the Main stand for the return leg against ICT, along with Ali McCann & Jason Kerr. Since then I have been convinced he will be signing for us again at some point in the summer.

12 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

Drey Wright was sat behind us in the Main stand for the return leg against ICT, along with Ali McCann & Jason Kerr. Since then I have been convinced he will be signing for us again at some point in the summer.

Hope not, we need new blood not returning failures.

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Would love it if St Mirren or the likes come along and gazzump us for Drey Wright. Feels inevitable he’ll sign for us though. 

Jim Goodwin's gone mate so I'd say that whilst not at all impossible, the chances have reduced significantly.

Thankfully.

Drey Wright is an overpaid crock who does lots of running while contributing absolutely nothing in front of goal.

He's an absolute textbook Davidson signing.

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jim Goodwin's gone mate so I'd say that whilst not at all impossible, the chances have reduced significantly.

Thankfully.

Mores the pity. Seems like we may be trying to get shot of O’Halloran and I reckon Goodwin’s St Mirren would’ve been prime candidates for him too. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Drey Wright is an overpaid crock who does lots of running while contributing absolutely nothing in front of goal.

He's an absolute textbook Davidson signing.

Sounds like comments made about Conway and Bryson to me,and they were more that decent in the cup winning season,Wright can play in many positions,which is a plus in my eyes,both wings,wing back,midfield in a 4,front 3 too,so not adverse to him coming back 

1 minute ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Sounds like comments made about Conway and Bryson to me,and they were more that decent in the cup winning season.

I have very little issue with us signing the odd 35+yo player who are high quality and will help us out for a year. Not everyone can be a youngster and you need experience.

Drey Wright is absolutely nothing like either. Hes never proved himself to be a top player in this division never mind anywhere else, we'll likely be tied to him for 2+ years, and he'll likely be earning far more than either Bryson or Conway did and I'd bet will contribute less. 

42 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Sounds like comments made about Conway and Bryson to me,and they were more that decent in the cup winning season,Wright can play in many positions,which is a plus in my eyes,both wings,wing back,midfield in a 4,front 3 too,so not adverse to him coming back 

We've been there with Wright before though and he looks decent but doesn't actually give much. He's done even less with Hibs. Time to try and move on.