Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

It might be a pretty basic way of looking at things, but is there a problem with signing players up early because you have to pay their wages early? Sign them mid July and you’ve saved yourself six weeks wages. Are Saints that tight? I’m inclined to say yes. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a reason we wait so long to sign anyone. Cos we’re cheap

Fleetwood and Killie interest in Rooney according to the courier.

Might fancy a go down south, would he surprised if he left us for Killie unless they’re offering him substantial money.

50 minutes ago, TheRealNumber5 said:

It might be a pretty basic way of looking at things, but is there a problem with signing players up early because you have to pay their wages early? Sign them mid July and you’ve saved yourself six weeks wages. Are Saints that tight? I’m inclined to say yes. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a reason we wait so long to sign anyone. Cos we’re cheap

Either Steve Brown or Tommy Wright said this was one of the reasons so many players had 1 year contracts while he was manager. 

The most depressing part about the Rooney article is the bit where it confirms everything was put on hold for next season until the play off game. No contracts offered.

So that means, unless its wrong, we haven't got a single player signed up to add to the squad yet.

It's just awful, you can't just ignore the transfer window to focus on games, and you have to be able to sell yourself and the club to prospective players to the point they'll believe you'll stay up then push on next season so the threat of relegation doesn't put them off. And if its the club deciding he's not allowed to offer deals then they've learned absolutely f**k all and deserve everything headed their way next season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The most depressing part about the Rooney article is the bit where it confirms everything was put on hold for next season until the play off game. No contracts offered.
So that means, unless its wrong, we haven't got a single player signed up to add to the squad yet.
It's just awful, you can't just ignore the transfer window to focus on games, and you have to be able to sell yourself and the club to prospective players to the point they'll believe you'll stay up then push on next season so the threat of relegation doesn't put them off. And if its the club deciding he's not allowed to offer deals then they've learned absolutely f**k all and deserve everything headed their way next season.

I’m pretty sure McCart or Hendry came out in March saying no contract offers had been made and it was agreed to be held off until after the season was ended.

I don’t think it’s a Callum decision, considering when Zanders discussions with United become public knowledge he didn’t say anything about not talking to the end of the season then, but I agree with you it’s a dangerous game to play as players will see other options and be tempted.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And if its the club deciding he's not allowed to offer deals then they've learned absolutely f**k all and deserve everything headed their way next season.

That suggestion flies in the face of the club offering longer-term deals to the likes of Bair, Mahon, Crawford, Hallberg and MacPherson.

I imagine Saints couldn't offer its higher-paid players the sort of deal they'd be looking for when the club was unsure of where it would be next season. Relegation would be catastrophic financially. And I imagine the higher-paid players – knowing on the one hand they'd attract good offers from elsewhere and on the other fearing a drop to the Championship – were happy to wait. I think that would be understandable on both sides.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I do not really see how the club would be in a position to offer new contracts until they knew which league we would be playing in next season..

5 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I do not really see how the club would be in a position to offer new contracts until they knew which league we would be playing in next season..

As said above, they handed out multiple multi-year deals, some on large wages, while spending multiple 6 figure fees, in January when according to the manager we looked certainties for relegation. Whats so magical about contract extensions/PCAs that we couldn't offer them.at the same time?

11 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Something along the lines of "if we are still In this league next season we can offer you _____ plus ____ in bonuses." "If we are not in this league you are free to do what you wish". It's not fucking rocket science, although Saints would probably make out like it is.

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Something along the lines of "if we are still In this league next season we can offer you _____ plus ____ in bonuses." "If we are not in this league you are free to do what you wish". It's not fucking rocket science, although Saints would probably make out like it is.

I don't understand this argument, given that we've offered - and had accepted - longer-term deals for some players, perhaps on those terms. So clearly the club is thinking ahead. Those who haven't signed on are our in-demand players. To me, the logical conclusion is that it's the players themselves - or their agents - who are reluctant to commit. They know good offers will come in from elsewhere over the summer. I don't blame them for this.

(Edit: Or, equally you could be Callum Hendry and think that maybe you'll be more appreciated elsewhere...)

Edited by Mr Heliums

13 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I don't understand this argument, given that we've offered - and had accepted - longer-term deals for some players, perhaps on those terms. So clearly the club is thinking ahead. Those who haven't signed on are our in-demand players. To me, the logical conclusion is that it's the players themselves - or their agents - who are reluctant to commit. They know good offers will come in from elsewhere over the summer. I don't blame them for this.

(Edit: Or, equally you could be Callum Hendry and think that maybe you'll be more appreciated elsewhere...)

Of course we both know that's the way it works. I was replying to someone that said they don't see how the club can offer contracts because of doubt in which division they'll be in. Which is utter shite tbh. Saints can decide who to offer contracts to just as much as players/agents can decide to listen to those offers. 

Big rebuild needed.

14 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Of course we both know that's the way it works. I was replying to someone that said they don't see how the club can offer contracts because of doubt in which division they'll be in. Which is utter shite tbh. Saints can decide who to offer contracts to just as much as players/agents can decide to listen to those offers. 

Big rebuild needed.

The manager outright said they were holding off offering contracts, so someone somewhere has decided that's our plan, either him or above him.

It doesn't make sense to me as it sounds daft, but I don't see why he'd say it if it wasn't true.

Middlesbrough apparently keen on Zander from what I’m reading online.

Snap their hands off anyway, one season down there your set for life financially and if he breaks into the starting line up he’ll he pushing for Scotland.

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As said above, they handed out multiple multi-year deals, some on large wages, while spending multiple 6 figure fees, in January when according to the manager we looked certainties for relegation. Whats so magical about contract extensions/PCAs that we couldn't offer them.at the same time?

I'd imagine that these contracts contain release or wage reduction clauses in the event of relegation.  Yes, you can offer these same contracts with the same clauses to other players,  it doesn't mean players have to accept them.  If some of those players say "come back to me if you stay up" then you decide if they're worth the wait. 

10 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I'd imagine that these contracts contain release or wage reduction clauses in the event of relegation.  Yes, you can offer these same contracts with the same clauses to other players,  it doesn't mean players have to accept them.  If some of those players say "come back to me if you stay up" then you decide if they're worth the wait. 

Yes, but the manager said they weren't offering contracts.