Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I would think the constant negative feelings and pressure around the club for the past 6 months have been pretty unbearable. And made worse by the fall from last season to this.

Of course it will and does but that doesn't excuse it was 99% self inflicted. People need to stop making excuses, deal with what went and is still going wrong and rectify it. Pumping a pretty poor Inverness side doesn't make this Saints side any better.

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Of course it is. But you’re talking about the achievement in itself.

But when Saints went into a cup final with Livi or Hibs there would certainly have been pressure, but ultimately if we lose a cup final there’s no shame or massive fallout, just disappointment.

I would think the constant negative feelings and pressure around the club for the past 6 months have been pretty unbearable. And made worse by the fall from last season to this.

I understand he can think that way, but he doesn't need to say it publicly. Talk about it being the hardest season of your career etc., but don't say its better than winning a trophy.

23 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Of course it is. But you’re talking about the achievement in itself.

But when Saints went into a cup final with Livi or Hibs there would certainly have been pressure, but ultimately if we lose a cup final there’s no shame or massive fallout, just disappointment.

I understand he can think that way, but he doesn't need to say it publicly. Talk about it being the hardest season of your career etc., but don't say its better than winning a trophy.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Of course it will and does but that doesn't excuse it was 99% self inflicted. People need to stop making excuses, deal with what went and is still going wrong and rectify it. Pumping a pretty poor Inverness side doesn't make this Saints side any better.

Agree, so many mistakes made over this season by the club, manager, recruitment and players.

Not an excuse, it feels that we’re at a stage where every comment the manager makes is being over-scrutinised to have a go, by a lot of folk working themselves into a frenzy about anything he says or does.

It’s reminiscent of that poster on WAP a few years back who looked for every opportunity to slag off Steve Brown because he once refused to shake his hand.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yes agree, no need to say it in the first place, but he’d already put it out there and I think he was trying to clear up what he’d meant. 

I’m really pleased for Cammy Mac getting a goal last night. He’s taken some stick but a lot of it has been ott and unjustified imo. He’s been hampered somewhat by a throwaway comment from the manager saying he can replace Mccann - he clearly can’t and is a different kind of player.  that pressure placed on him hasn’t helped, but he covered every blade of grass last night and managed his game really well after an early booking. 

He’s prone to stray passes but has also shown moments of quality. He’s also been really unlucky with injuries this season. There is a decent player there if we can get consistency from him. He was clearly buzzing after he scored and it kinda looked like a weight lifted off him. 

I hope he can kick on next year - does not deserve some of the stick that has come his way. 

Edited by John Bonham

Went along with a pal who had a spare ticket last night, delighted for you staying up.

That back three looks like it could have a lot of potential next year, Mahon in particular looked very good and Cleary did a bit of the Jason Kerr bundling forward impression pretty well. With Wotherspoon coming back you'd imagine hallberg drops into the midfield 2 where I think he'll still be good for you, he looked great last night which I'm glad of, always wanted him to play more with us.

Know he has been chronic all season but based on last night McPherson could be a decent enough backup to Hallberg in that role, did his job well and in that first half was one of the few players capable of playing a ball along the deck without it bobbling about and hitting folk knee high.

Rooney and Clark will obviously be very hard to replace, but Hendry would be the big one for me. An absolute nuisance winning headers he's no right to, even if they don't drop to a saints player, and he's obviously a good if streaky goalscorer. Likes of Hibs and Aberdeen will probably pass on him thinking (wrongly imo) that they can do better but if he ends up at Well or Utd pushing for Europe again could see him kicking on. 

So unless he changes his mind about systems completely in the summer you're looking at a GK, RWB, a CM to do what Davidson did last night but without being so decrepit he has to make a sliding challenge every time the ball's further than a metre from him, a CF (unless there's a glorious return for Chris Kane) and a winger/forward who likes running at folk presuming Middleton isn't coming/wanted back. Big summer again for you.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney and Hendry to Kilmarnock reeks of the Clark/McCart to Dundee shite we got in January. 

A piddly wee team convinced they're huge and have far more draw than they actually have because they get a big crowd every so often.

I mean, we literally had Hendry on loan for the first half of this season, and he was by all accounts incredibly happy here so I don't think it's that wild to suggest it. 

Also don't think it's that wild considering you were claiming Hendry wasn't top flight standard, was 6th choice etc etc, before we took him on loan and got him back on track for you. 

I don't really know why you have your knickers in so much of a twist here - not a single c**t is convincing themselves we are "huge" because of the possibility of signing Callum Hendry and Shaun Rooney. Don't flatter yourself. 

Edited by Nadroj

55 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

This is the only match where MacPherson hasn't looked like a competition winner but there is a LONG way for him to go to make up for the consistent shite he's delivered up till now. 

The 2nd half last night was the best of what we have seen of him. You could see after his goal his confidence was up and what a difference it made to him. Whether he can convert that one good half into full games is debatable, but there was signs there for the fans in what Davidson must see in him. It reminds me a bit of Spoony in a sense when he first came in. There was flashes, but a frustrating lack of consistency, which led to some boos. Maybe next season and with a bit less pressure we might see his best come through.

Mahon's performance maybe removes the problem of replacing McCart to an extent. Cleary looks to have found the confidence to bomb forward, which at times is Kerresque.

Rooney will be hard to replace on the pitch, but even harder off it. 

Fourteenth consecutive season in the top division. Some achievement, and one not many of us would have predicted (presumably) when we came back up. Plenty of work to do over the summer if we're to make it 15, though.

Speaking to a boy after the game and I realised there’s an entire generation who’ve never seen us out of the top flight.

It’s little wonder expectations on the club are rising.

MacPherson is absolutely garbage. Criminally bad. Don't let a deflected goal and a moderately decent second half against an exhausted Championship side who have just suffered a 1-2 sucker punch fool you. He got booked after five minutes last night and spent the rest of the first half avoiding going anywhere near an opponent and shelling the ball out of the park. A few nice touches,  yes, but an awful lot of wasted possession which is absolutely in keeping with what we've seen from him all season. If he plays 20+ games next season we will be at the bottom end of the table again.

MacPherson is absolutely garbage. Criminally bad. Don't let a deflected goal and a moderately decent second half against an exhausted Championship side who have just suffered a 1-2 sucker punch fool you. He got booked after five minutes last night and spent the rest of the first half avoiding going anywhere near an opponent and shelling the ball out of the park. A few nice touches,  yes, but an awful lot of wasted possession which is absolutely in keeping with what we've seen from him all season. If he plays 20+ games next season we will be at the bottom end of the table again.

I’ve been a firm hater since he came in but I do think in both games against Inverness he was alright and much better than we’ve seen. I hope he isn’t seen as first choice next year but I see no reason he can’t be a decent squad player if he keeps it simple and doesn’t go near the set pieces. He’s a bit Gary McDonald - won’t drag teammates up a level but will look okay and contribute in a team that’s playing well.

Given that he’s young enough to learn and improve, I’m prepared to give him a chance and refrain from calling him MacPish until at least October.

In my opinion, Macpherson played well last night and on Friday. Thought he managed himself well after a stupid early booking. Always wants the ball and never hides. Categorically didn’t spend the game shelling it out the park, an absolutely wild take. Made saints a better team in both matches of the playoff.