Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Big Mahon btw. Excellent performance. Hallberg is a really very good as well.

Aye, absolutely unreal at the back tonight, someone said he’s nothing fancy but that’s why I enjoyed him, just clear it and tackle c***s for fun.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Aye, absolutely unreal at the back tonight, someone said he’s nothing fancy but that’s why I enjoyed him, just clear it and tackle c***s for fun.

Out of McCart, Rooney & Hendry I’m least bothered about McCart leaving. And it’s because of Big John Mahon.

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

This is true but he played a great, quick, fizzed pass into feet in the build-up to the first goal. So hopefully he brings that too.

5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Out of McCart, Rooney & Hendry I’m least bothered about McCart leaving. And it’s because of Big John Mahon.

Out of McCart, Rooney & Hendry I’m least bothered about McCart leaving. And it’s because of McCart(21/22).

It was right that last night was savoured. For a long while now, our aim this season has been survival and that has been achieved. The team ended up posting a respectable points total from where we were in January and you need to recognise that. It wouldn't have mattered if we'd lost last night but we didn't so the overall recovery from the back end of 2021 deserves a nod of acknowledgement 

But acknowledgement and enjoyment of an achievement doesn't mean it can be dwelt on. It might be less than 12 hours on but decisions need made now on what happens moving forward. It might not be popular making that statement straight after getting the job done but surely no one wants to be here again in a year's time. 

Part of me wanted to wake up this morning and give Davidson a clean slate but then you read the quotes and he makes it so hard. Maybe I'm just so entrenched now that I can't see past what I think I'm hearing from him but I find it so hard to relate to him in the same manner as previous managers. 

My own preference remains that he should leave the club but I accept that if that doesn't happen within the next couple of days, it isn't going to over the summer. 

I suppose the question over the next few days and weeks is how you start to handle that and not fall into a spiral of negativity over everything he does this summer... 

Not fussed about McCart because decent centre halves are easier to come by at this level and we may already have found one in Mahon. Rooney was at his battering ram best last night and should be given the opportunity to test that athleticism at a higher level than Saints. Hendry looks to be on an upward path and obviously Clark needs to move if he wants the chance of regular Scotland caps. Replacing key players in those latter three positions will be difficult, so I hope we're already on it.

Thought Davidson's comments post-match were interesting, in that they seemed like a "best bits" of everything he's been criticised for this season. He basically said "I told them to start the game like they did in Inverness, and they didn't." Also bemoaned "flicks round the corner" in favour of taking the ball in and moving it on, and credited Hendry's return to form to getting back to the basics of forward play. 

The four key players out of contract neither owe nor are owed anything to or by Saints. So let's have their decisions now. I fully expect them all to go but it needs clarified by the end of the week. 

The remainder should all be released, including I'm afraid Murray Davidson.

There's a lot of rubbish under contract as well but maybe there will be salvation there in a more flexible style of play where they can find a role because there is absolutely no way that St Johnstone can go into next season only able to play in one manner. There simply must be a complete tactical revamp over the summer and that has to be non-negotiable. It can't be a summer of trying to recruit for a system, it has to be a window focused on bringing in good players and then finding a style of play to bring the best out of them. 

41 minutes ago, Radford said:

I find it so hard to relate to him in the same manner as previous managers. 

This awkwardness and gaucheness was on display when he joined Eilidh Barbour and the pundits after the game. But it won't be an issue if he gets us winning again next season.

The managers currently claiming this is a better achievement than the cup double, so the chances of him changing anything major seem slim. Staying up will be justification in his head for sticking with it.

His celebration at the Main Stand made if clear the fans sticking behind the team has saved his job before now too.

C'est la vie

I might need to go watch back to reconfirm my thoughts but it felt like the first time in a long time Gordon wasn’t distracted by his teammates and was able to focus on his job Mahon was doing so well.

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

Aye I think Hendry, McCart & Clark are away and it’s hard to grudge them their moves.

Don’t f**k about get the renewals and transfer business going tomorrow, get season tickets renewals out by the end of the week and start firing out invitations to all those who bought online tickets today too.

I've not had a season ticket in years, but I've bought lots of shite off the club, including several match tickets. Every time I've ticked the box to say happy to be contacted with offers etc. Guess how many times I've been contacted?

If Rooney and Hendry end up at Kilmarnock next season something has gone badly wrong, both at Saints for not managing to retain them and for the players not managing to negotiate a move to a higher level on far more money.

Agree entirely with what Radford has said. I prefer a new broom, someone coming in and cleaning out the nonsense in the squad and starting afresh but I can’t see it.

Rooney and Hendry to Kilmarnock reeks of the Clark/McCart to Dundee shite we got in January. 

A piddly wee team convinced they're huge and have far more draw than they actually have because they get a big crowd every so often.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The managers currently claiming this is a better achievement than the cup double, so the chances of him changing anything major seem slim. Staying up will be justification in his head for sticking with it.

He justified that comment post match when he said it’s such an achievement due to the massive pressure the staff/ players are under in a relegation scrap, and how hard it is.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney and Hendry to Kilmarnock reeks of the Clark/McCart to Dundee shite we got in January. 

A piddly wee team convinced they're huge and have far more draw than they actually have because they get a big crowd every so often.

Jack Black Reaction GIF

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He justified that comment post match when he said it’s such an achievement due to the massive pressure the staff/ players are under in a relegation scrap, and how hard it is.

Winning the double is a once in a lifetime event that no non-OF club might achieve again in Davidsons lifetime.

I understand the pressure to stay up was huge but comparing the two things is just daft and doesn't help the image he puts across

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Winning the double is a once in a lifetime event that no non-OF club might achieve again in Davidsons lifetime.

I understand the pressure to stay up was huge but comparing the two things is just daft and doesn't help the image he puts across

Both Brown and Davidson will be feeling that a lot of their decision making is now vindicated and we can look forward to more of the same next season.

Unless lessons have been learned  from this season...

Or Hallberg can keep us up on his own.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course it is. But you’re talking about the achievement in itself.

But when Saints went into a cup final with Livi or Hibs there would certainly have been pressure, but ultimately if we lose a cup final there’s no shame or massive fallout, just disappointment.

I would think the constant negative feelings and pressure around the club for the past 6 months have been pretty unbearable. And made worse by the fall from last season to this.