Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

57 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If they'd done their homework on Ambrose they should not have touched him with a barge pole, certainly if the rumours are true. The recruitment/retaining has been nothing short of shocking since Davidson has been in charge.

Yes recruitment issues are the root cause of what's led us to here, IMO, and I fear this Summer is already set up to continue that if Davidson stays. If he goes then a new manager has to be in quick to get things moving.

You wonder how willing the club would be to punt the likes of Crawford/MOH/May from their deals early.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's when you look to your experienced midfield players to take a grip of things.

Jody Morris, Chris Millar, Liam Craig. They've all played that deep midfield role and would just take control of games that were slipping from us. Even a Martin Hardie who played further up was capable of it. Its my frustration with our recruitment in January as we all know we lacked that but it wasn't addressed, especially with them effectively writing off Craig this season. We needed someone demanding the ball every time no matter how wrong it was going.

I think Davidson expected Butterfield to be that guy, but has been let down by someone who simply doesn't want to battle when the pressures on. Besides from him you've got Murray Davidson who hides from the ball anyway and who's reckless fouling was again an issue.

Yes we definitely miss that type. 

In fairness to MacPherson, he was excellent in that first hour. Coming short looking for the ball and generally doing simple things well to keep us moving. I could see him being a stand out in the championship if we were regularly in the ascendancy in matches.

But then the flip side is that final half hour, he doesn’t seem comfortable when we’re up against it, which is no use for a centre midfielder. You can see he has ability, but I’ve yet to see him put in a complete all-round performance.

Butterfield played well against Aberdeen, but just never got into the game at all on Friday night.

I get what you’re saying about Murray in possession, but I think he’s been our stand out consistent midfielder for the past few months. I think we’d have been relegated a while back without his contribution.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

If they'd done their homework on Ambrose they should not have touched him with a barge pole, certainly if the rumours are true. The recruitment/retaining has been nothing short of shocking since Davidson has been in charge.

It was a seriously surprising move, we all thought he was either dropping down the leagues to the Championship or League 1 (a few thought Falkirk tbf). He genuinely struggled to last 90 minutes for us and should've probably retired there and then 

So…. Two lucky goals, and two goals against ICT when they’d moved to a 1-1-8 formation - in the second half against a team playing their 6th play off tie.

4-0 seems impressive, and the fans/manager seeming to enjoy it together - but is this enough for you to forgive the rest of the season?

I'm delighted we're staying up because relegation is shite to experience and would have been seriously damaging to the club.

But what looks like a comfortable playoff win cannot be romanticised and forgotten about because there's a lot wrong still.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I'm delighted we're staying up because relegation is shite to experience and would have been seriously damaging to the club.

But what looks like a comfortable playoff win cannot be romanticised and forgotten about because there's a lot wrong still.

Agreed. With the benefit of hindsight it's probably a good thing we avoid the spite-relegation we'd all at least part contemplated, but those two late goals probably not ideal from the glossing over perspective - making it much easier to do so. 

Just a wave of relief here. 

Of course it's all for nothing if we don't get it right this summer and given recent form, I'm no confident.