Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 hours ago, Nold said:

There was a game at Tynecastle when McInnes was manager where we made two subs at or around the 30min mark as we were playing so badly.  Obviously you can chalk that up as poor team choice, but at least he reacted. I just can't ever imagine Callum doing that.

January 2011?

Brought Maybury and Parkin off for Cleveland Taylor and Stevie May after 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, FrankChickens1 said:

While we were incredibly wasteful in attack, were there instances of our players trying too many flicks and tricks? I can't remember any. 

I thought we were too cute in that early part of second half. Looked far more ruthless/purposeful when attacking in first half. But we had a number of times when we exposed them leading up to the hour mark but were trying to be clever with final ball, rather than just finding the man. 

The St Mirren semi-final was definitely positively impacted by the introduction of Middleton and I suppose it would be churlish to completely discount notion that Davidson was confident he could go on and make a difference, rather than just making a like-for-like change... 

I used to get frustrated at our lack of identity under Tommy Wright but we've gone so far the other way now. There has to be a middle ground between not really knowing how your team are trying to play (being fair to TW, he got results though) and this predictable dirge served up by Davidson. 

First hour on Friday was better as we brought and intensity and committed men forward but that's been the exception.

31 minutes ago, Radford said:

I thought we were too cute in that early part of second half. Looked far more ruthless/purposeful when attacking in first half. But we had a number of times when we exposed them leading up to the hour mark but were trying to be clever with final ball, rather than just finding the man. 

Yeah, but not fancy flicks and tricks. And if someone was trying to create a narrative that the only problems Friday were only officials and players trying tricks that would be... objectively bollocks. Right? Pathetic snivelling bollocks 

Just looking there, maybe someone who focuses more on stats than I do will know the numbers or whatever, but I can’t think of any moment we’ve seen that many in the box this season.

35 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I didn't disagree with anything radford said. It's the self-serving manager defending spineless inaccurate nonsense of someone who accepts money from Rupert Murdoch I took issue with. 

Yeah. The hacks are in full blame the players mode.

The subs were the right call at the right time but the players underperformed and let Caley back in. With a health dose of blaming the officials 🤣

While I don't agree with his opinions on the manager, he's sort of right about the players.

The attacking players shouldve killed ICT before Davidson could stifle us, and then when you're looking for a response at 2-2 they're all just sheepishly looking at each other terrified of making another mistake so taking the easy option every time.

Liam Gordon proof this season there's a difference between being loud and being a leader.

But he's not saying the players weren't clinical enough. That would be undeniable.

He's banging on about flicks and tricks, which is bollocks and, noting Vertainen's career trajectory, wouldn't be surprised if it was fed to him. He probably does his weasel work without invitation though. 

3 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

But he's not saying the players weren't clinical enough. That would be undeniable.

He's banging on about flicks and tricks, which is bollocks and, noting Vertainen's career trajectory, wouldn't be surprised if it was fed to him. He probably does his weasel work without invitation though. 

Meh, the front players were arsing about in the second half so I'm happy enough to see them criticised. They had a chance to kill the tie but were greedy and sloppy because they got cocky. Criticism of them might wake them up.

Just been thinking about how weak this squad is in terms of leaders. Previously it felt like you had 3/4 potential captains floating about, or even those who led by example. Struggling to think of anyone in the current squad who you get that feeling with? Liam Craig remains but that's it for me.

I don't even think it about Craig. Last game he came on he was absolutely screaming at the referee over something that wasn't even a foul. Was just embarrassing rather than inspiring and can't have helped team morale. 

If that's his leadership then it's nowhere near enough to cover off the drop he brings in quality/legs this season, and I say that having watched Butterfield's disgraceful saunter about the place in Inverness. 

As for there being noone else, agreed. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

While I don't agree with his opinions on the manager, he's sort of right about the players.

The attacking players shouldve killed ICT before Davidson could stifle us, and then when you're looking for a response at 2-2 they're all just sheepishly looking at each other terrified of making another mistake so taking the easy option every time.

Liam Gordon proof this season there's a difference between being loud and being a leader.

This is it for me.

A combination of wasteful finishing and sloppy play, a poor sub and a referee decision all played their part.

But after that why did we completely crumble? The players are more than capable of seeing off the Caley side, but every single one went into their shell and we ended up almost grateful for a draw.

Nobody prepared to get a hold of the ball and settle us down, complete panic in every area of the park. 

There was a great point made on WAP about tomorrow and it's relevant to the narrative we talk about being built.

Given the pitch invasions over the past week, it's perfectly plausible we'll see that tomorrow if we come through the tie. The problem with that, over and above the general fact they are ridiculous, is that it lends itself to Davidson's claims about this achievement matching the double. We are effectively celebrating finishing 11th.

Those are the pictures that go out, the chairman sees happy fans and the media can carry Davidson's quotes and also double down on their claims that unhappy supporters are just internet weirdos.

It'll be embarrassing enough seeing the double winners bouncing about in front of their play-off winners billboard, let alone hundreds of fans dancing about on the pitch like we've won something remotely impressive.

Edited by Radford

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

There was a great point made on WAP about tomorrow and its relevant to the narrative we talk about being built.

Given the pitch invasions over the past week, it's perfectly plausible we'll see that tomorrow if we come through the tie. The problem with that, over and above the general fact they are ridiculous, is that it lends itself to Davidson's claims about this achievement matching the double. We are effectively celebrating finishing 11th.

Those are the pictures that go out, the chairman sees happy fans and the media can carry Davidson's quotes and also double down on their claims that unhappy supporters are just internet weirdos.

It'll be embarrassing enough seeing the double winners bouncing about in front of their play-off winners billboard, let alone hundreds of fans dancing about on the pitch like we've won something remotely impressive.

Unless folk confront Davidson on the pitch that is. 

34 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Nobody prepared to get a hold of the ball and settle us down, complete panic in every area of the park. 

It's when you look to your experienced midfield players to take a grip of things.

Jody Morris, Chris Millar, Liam Craig. They've all played that deep midfield role and would just take control of games that were slipping from us. Even a Martin Hardie who played further up was capable of it. Its my frustration with our recruitment in January as we all know we lacked that but it wasn't addressed, especially with them effectively writing off Craig this season. We needed someone demanding the ball every time no matter how wrong it was going.

I think Davidson expected Butterfield to be that guy, but has been let down by someone who simply doesn't want to battle when the pressures on. Besides from him you've got Murray Davidson who hides from the ball anyway and who's reckless fouling was again an issue.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think Davidson expected Butterfield to be that guy, but has been let down by someone who simply doesn't want to battle when the pressures on. Besides from him you've got Murray Davidson who hides from the ball anyway and who's reckless fouling was again an issue.

I'm almost certain Callum never seen him play, or at least play recently. Callum came out with a description of how Butterfield played and what he expected from him, Butterfield came out and said he used to play that way but doesn't anymore as he doesn't have the legs. It's almost as if he just listened to his ex boss and signed him on that basis. Utter charlatan of a manager. 

There was a great point made on WAP about tomorrow and its relevant to the narrative we talk about being built.

I think tomorrow night if it’s getting nervy the ground will be exceptionally toxic. It’s been simmering away after poor results and obviously it boiled over at Kelty, but that’ll be a preview for what’ll happen if we lose.

15 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I'm almost certain Callum never seen him play, or at least play recently. Callum came out with a description of how Butterfield played and what he expected from him, Butterfield came out and said he used to play that way but doesn't anymore as he doesn't have the legs. It's almost as if he just listened to his ex boss and signed him on that basis. Utter charlatan of a manager. 

Same with Ambrose wasn't it? Talked about him replacing Kerr as a marauding RCB, when in reality he could barely jog never mind sprint.

Same with Ambrose wasn't it? Talked about him replacing Kerr as a marauding RCB, when in reality he could barely jog never mind sprint.

That Dundee game gave us false hope.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If they'd done their homework on Ambrose they should not have touched him with a barge pole, certainly if the rumours are true. The recruitment/retaining has been nothing short of shocking since Davidson has been in charge.