Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The Dundee one is fair enough. 

Then when we had our foot on their throat, he eased them right off and it got to stage he was going mental about too much stoppage time being added. 

Looking at games in league/Europe this season:

Equalisers by Saints: 4 
Equalisers against Saints: 13

Given we've only scored in 23 games, those 13 equalisers represent a significant percentage of our games. There was a time where if Saints got ahead in a game, they'd never give anything away. Not under this manager though. 

Of the four we scored, one was an own goal, one was the massive Butterfield deflection against County at home (when we went on to lose anyway) and another was a header from a corner. 

That Courier interview is an absolute piss-boiler. 

“We lost a bit of impetus and allowed Inverness back in the game."

“But that’s football."

I read: 'I'm not going admit to any mistakes at all, despite it being obvious to everyone that my decisions were directly responsible. I'm going to blame 'fate' because 'stuff just happens' and clearly as the manager, there's nothing I could have done to change the fickle will of the football gods. Not my fault gov'nr'

Then

"We are still in the game. We are all square going into a home tie.”

So how's that worked out for us in 2-leg knockouts this season Callum?

Hallberg stuff weird too.

Unwilling to name him as a doubt for leg 1, but now he's more than happy to say he's a doubt for leg 2.

Strange that.

8 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Thomson just being difficult for the sake of being difficult on twitter now, isn’t he?

He is acting (yet again) both like he is genuinely on Davidson's payroll and like a sad little creepy stalker freak. 

He does raise a good point though, I mean put even someone like Klopp in charge of a quite expensively assembled and somewhat bloated Scottish Premier side and put him in a playoff against a tired team from the league below with half their defence missing. 

Then, at some point in the second half, tell him one of his many midfielders has started to get a little bit tired.

I'd like to see how even Klopp  deals with those taxing and unprecedented circumstances and tries to avoid the completely forgivable complete capitulation we saw. Good luck to him. Really, how can the manager be to blame? 

Obviously he has by no means played the equivalent number of minutes but last night made it 2 goals in his last 62 appearances for Stevie May. That's just not sustainable for a forward at any level. 

He gives his all but we lost so much when he replaced Middleton last night and no amount of effort can make up for that. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Obviously he has by no means played the equivalent number of minutes but last night made it 2 goals in his last 62 appearances for Stevie May. That's just not sustainable for a forward at any level. 

He gives his all but we lost so much when he replaced Middleton last night and no amount of effort can make up for that. 

What level do folk see Stevie May actually succeeding at these days?

Jeanfield Swifts would be my estimation. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

What level do folk see Stevie May actually succeeding at these days?

I honestly think a confident May can be a secondary option striker at this level. He's great at reading the game and still has a knack of being in the right place in the box.

A confidence less May like we've got I've no idea, maybe a back up in the tier below. He's still convinced he can get away with a lack of bravery on the ball if he appears to be working hard, and it would be unfair for me to slaughter Crawford for it and not May.

Yes a competition winner who looks content to run around in a strip while a game of football happens around him.

If Middleton had to be changed last night, and he really shouldn’t have been when he was, then MOH to still give us a threat in behind would have been a better shout.

13 hours ago, Radford said:

Can anyone remind me of a match that Davidson has positively influenced with changes?

There was a game at Tynecastle when McInnes was manager where we made two subs at or around the 30min mark as we were playing so badly.  Obviously you can chalk that up as poor team choice, but at least he reacted. I just can't ever imagine Callum doing that.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes a competition winner who looks content to run around in a strip while a game of football happens around him.

I don't really think this is fair. I always feel May looks a bit despondent at how football is going for him rather than content, although I take your point that the football seems to be happening around him. I don't think hes in the stealing a wage type category, albeit he has been a very poor return on investment. 

Although it was some years ago now and he's been at Aberdeen etc since it really seems like the physical and mental toll of his injury has ruined him. In addition to being a confidence player he still acts scared of getting hurt again - he's always on the far side of the defender, he seems to run on the spot for a few seconds before every sprint and he turns corners like a deer rollerskating on ice. Despite his attributes I don't see him doing any more than small sub appearances in the Premiership ever again, and with his current level of confidence he's not even good enough for that. 

He'll always be up there in my top tier of favorite saints players though, and the harshness of criticism some make seems very unfair to me as a result, albeit I agree it's past time to thank him and make room for the likes of Vertainen and Bair (in the championship). 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I honestly think a confident May can be a secondary option striker at this level. He's great at reading the game and still has a knack of being in the right place in the box.

A confidence less May like we've got I've no idea, maybe a back up in the tier below. He's still convinced he can get away with a lack of bravery on the ball if he appears to be working hard, and it would be unfair for me to slaughter Crawford for it and not May.

The in the box point is interesting although largely unprovable given we don't get the ball into the box to test it. 

You could argue he'd possibly still do a job in his old role in a 442 alongside someone like Macca. But we're not going to see that under Davidson and May's shown he's useless in The System.