Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

30 minutes ago, monkfish said:

What have you seen this season that suggests he is going to change? If he's played basically the same system and tactics all season, with terrible results (and signed some total rubbish to play in the system), why would he do something different next season?

I don’t know that he will or can.

But he might be told he has to.

55 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

The evidence from this season for a start. Because this has been a car crash of a season domestically from almost day one. Fine, we lost two of our best players in August, but we hadn't won in 10 domestic games before that. The problems and the weaknesses were glaringly obvious to fans and opposition managers alike.

So you'd hope he'd start adapting, start learning, but no. By January, when we were bottom of the league he was given a lot of funds to improve matters. Far more than anyone else in the bottom six. He spent lavishly, yet many his signings have been hardly used since. One has never played. Of those who have, with the exception of Cleary (a step above Davidson's rotten signings earlier in the year), they've shown themselves to have been as bad, or worse, than the players he signed them to replace.

So you hope that he'd at least acknowledge his managerial flaws and that he needed to change things. He's still a young manager. But no, again: in his stop-start, cliche-ridden interviews, it's everyone else who is to blame. He picked on one player for a loss against an old firm team - chucking him out on loan weeks later. He's railed at referees. He's moaned about luck, as if he didn't benefit from it last year. But never in my hearing has he accepted his own culpability or that he'd learn from it or adapt the way we play. Still filled with hubris from last season, he thinks he's a great coach and it will all come good in the end.

He's clearly not a better manager. He shows no obvious willingness to identify what's gone wrong or to improve, which is why I can't see him getting better in the future.

606615932_giphy(49).gif.347c81c87093368bedc9c5b6f986d87a.gif

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just f**k off with this pish. We won more trophies last season than massive sides like Aberdeen have won in 30 years.

Relegation is inevitable for us at some point over a span of 30 years, that's not the issue.

Ok mate, keep living in your wee fantasy world. 

15 minutes ago, big al said:

Ok mate, keep living in your wee fantasy world. 

What "fantasy world"? I've admitted that a club who operate at the level we do will get relegated multiple times in my lifetime, you can just shove this "what a tiny club you are, accept relegation and be fortunate you ever shared a league with clubs so much bigger" bollocks right up your arse.

ps you may think the football has been shite to watch, but so does most fans of every team out with the top 3. 

For the last six months we’ve had a striker in the form of his life and still have 23 goals in 36 games all season.

3 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

For the last six months we’ve had a striker in the form of his life and still have 23 goals in 36 games all season.

Nobody has a good striker this season. Bruce Anderson is up there for top goalscorer 🤣

Edited by big al

Anyone a preference whether it’s Arbroath or Inverness?

Arbroath for me. Great ground, closer, and they deserve a crack at the final after the season they’ve had.

I also think Inverness appear to have found some form at the right time.

Probably not much between them and both will give us a tough game.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Anyone a preference whether it’s Arbroath or Inverness?

Arbroath for me. Great ground, closer, and they deserve a crack at the final after the season they’ve had.

I also think Inverness appear to have found some form at the right time.

Probably not much between them and both will give us a tough game.

We've more chance of beating Inverness IMO.

First leg will be key and I'd rather a half filled Caley Stadium to a jam packed Gayfield in terms of chances of victory.

Relieved I won't have any doubts about what the best outcome is now, as a part of me wanted Arbroath promoted tbh.

Scudding ICT a lot nicer to think about.

Hopefully Wallace Duffys red card is overturned.