Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

If we had a batch of exciting young players on the cusp of the first team who could be brought in to speed their development then it might not be so bad. 

Sinclair, Wee Max, Ballantyne, and Ferguson, have all been getting rave reviews for a while now.

Then you have Mahon, Gallacher and Bair who are all under 23.

Sinclair

RB - Mahon - Gordon - Gallacher

Gilmour - Ballantyne

Wee Max - Ferguson - Wotherspoon

Bair

I'd be intrigued to see how that would go. Wotherspoon the only one over 26.

16 minutes ago, Buddiesaint said:

Maybe a season in the Championship would do Macpherson some good?

I never really rated him at St. Mirren but it's clearly gone terribly wrong for him for various reasons. Many of his own making by the sounds of it.

Aye.

Not with fucking us though but now we're lumbered with him because our arrogant arse of a manager paid money for him and handed him a 2.5 year deal.

Edited by The Saintee

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Aye.

Not with fucking us though but now we're lumbered with him because our arrogant arse of a manager paid money for him and handed him a 2.5 year deal.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I get the sentiment, but every fanbase whose team have had a few years in the Premiership and get relegated talk about one exciting season of diddy swording, romping the title and trips to exciting new venues for a bit of variety.

Apart from killie and hearts, the reality is 3 years later a trip to Inverness on a Tuesday night to watch a dour 1-1 draw in front of less than a thousand hardy folk to keep us in 4th.

Never got that reasoning, either. Couldn't agree more.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I get the sentiment, but every fanbase whose team have had a few years in the Premiership and get relegated talk about one exciting season of diddy swording, romping the title and trips to exciting new venues for a bit of variety.

For me, it most certainly is not that. Not in the slightest. Can't emphasise that enough. It could all go very wrong. 

BUT...

The thought of watching this same group (believe he has around 20 players signed up) playing the same way, under the same manager, next season almost terrifies me. Just 16 goals scored by St Johnstone players from open play in 37 home league games under him. 

The next four (two?) games won't determine the future direction of this club. That will be mapped out by a decision the chairman makes before the end of this month.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

The next four (two?) games won't determine the future direction of this club. That will be mapped out by a decision the chairman makes before the end of this month.

Completely agree with this. 

This is the latest major turning point the club will have faced in the last year. First was last summer's recruitment pre-Europe, and we made a catastrophic mess of that. Then there was the chance to bin the manager after Kelty. It's last chance saloon this summer and it's stick or twist time again. 

Personally I have absolutely no faith that the chairman/board will make the right choice. I'm holding onto a bit of hope that those close to the club are right in saying Geoff still has significant influence, as I suspect he's more likely to see the need to empty CD. 

I can see us losing half our ST sales next year and I'm not even sure it makes a difference what division we're in.

29 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Personally I have absolutely no faith that the chairman/board will make the right choice.

I do - or at least the board will act when it becomes clear what the fans think. He was given time at Christmas to sort things out, but despite spending huge amounts of money, it's no better. Arguably worse, in fact: now we have a bloated squad that doesn't look like it's fighting for anything. The football remains eye-watering, the manager remains in denial.  Steve Brown will see this as much as anyone. 

If Davidson is punted regardless, the only advantage of relegation for me is that I won't have to watch any matches with VAR next season.

Edited by Mr Heliums

23 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I do - or at least the board will act when it becomes clear what the fans think. He was given time at Christmas to sort things out, but despite spending huge amounts of money, it's no better. Arguably worse, in fact: now we have a bloated squad that doesn't look like it's fighting for anything. The football remains eye-watering, the manager remains in denial.  Steve Brown will see this as much as anyone. 

If Davidson is punted regardless, the only advantage of relegation for me is that I won't have to watch any matches with VAR next season.

I'm basing my thinking on (a) long contract (b) a chairman that takes pride in being stubborn and (c) it may well have been said at Christmas that he'd be kept on if he kept us up. If we stay in the division I think there's no chance at all he's going until at least Christmas this year. If we go down though I'm more hopeful of clauses kicking in and the right call being made as it would be seen to be a fair call. Genuinely don't think the quality of the football comes into it with this club. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Genuinely don't think the quality of the football comes into it with this club. 

That might have been true but we've surely plumbed new depths? I didn't realise it was even possible to play such an inane brand of football. We must be close to this not even being called football. 

It's the self-preservation as well. People will say it's only quotes to the media but it does impact thinking. He's trying to paint this picture of him pulling off some kind of miracle if HE keeps us up. 

We were within 6 points of 4 teams at the winter break and then he was given a lot of money to bring in however many new players it was. Fees on Bair, MacPherson and Mahon.

Ross County and Livingston have accelerated away from us (how much did they spend?) and St Mirren likely would have done likewise under Goodwin. I don't think there is any doubt that James McPake would have won a game in the eleven-match run that McGhee had before last night either. 

I thought 36 points was the bare minimum that would have been acceptable from the second half of the season. Touch-and-go if he'll achieve that. 

There is also the stuff about him learning as a manager. Has he displayed ANY evidence of that? Anyone can claim they've learned lessons but surely they, you know, need to actually be put into practice. 

It's the same tactics EVERY SINGLE WEEK. And they are absolutely excruciating. I literally couldn't tell you a single thing I've noticed him doing differently. Oh, except changing the colour of the shorts. If anything summed him up... 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm basing my thinking on (a) long contract (b) a chairman that takes pride in being stubborn and (c) it may well have been said at Christmas that he'd be kept on if he kept us up. If we stay in the division I think there's no chance at all he's going until at least Christmas this year. If we go down though I'm more hopeful of clauses kicking in and the right call being made as it would be seen to be a fair call. Genuinely don't think the quality of the football comes into it with this club. 

The thing that's giving me hope is the fact that Brown might base his current views on the level of support the team is getting, which hasn't faltered since Kelty. Maybe he's conflating that for support for the manager. But the day the office opens for season ticket renewals will tell him the real story

Edited by Mr Heliums

I'm not going tonight, mainly because I've got other commitments for once midweek, but I think my feelings on the match tonight are the same as a lot of peoples. We're clearly going to play for a 0-0 draw and frankly that's no way to play football. I'm in the Davidson out camp for a number of reasons, but his recent interviews are showing levels of disassociation that I've never seen in a saints manager. I can't believe he thinks that this is what fans of the club want to hear, it's almost like he's gotten to the point where he thinks he's doing us a favour by being here. 

Any manager of St Johnstone should be proud to manage this team and be willing to fit tooth and nail for the club and supporters. I and the fan base can accept when things aren't going well or things are tough, it happens; however, what is currently happening in my eyes is unacceptable. People can cite reasons and solutions to problems as an excuse for Davidson remaining in charge, but I've got less hope about him as a manager than I did when Billy Stark got sacked and he's just about on par with John Connelly right now, which speaks volumes. Even in McInnes 23 goal season, I never wanted him out, so you've got to ask what has Davidson done in 9 months to totally alienate 90% of the support. It's not good!