Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Today was the day I’ve swayed on the fence. Regardless what happens I think the best thing is a clean break. Thank Callum for last year and send him on his way.

Who to take over though? Well I don’t know. There’s a few ideas in my head but none really stand out.

5 likely candidates I say are:

Tommy Wright
Liam Craig
Steve Maclean
Stewart Petrie
Kevin Thomson

More outlandish you’re looking at Morris which would never happen.

We’re down

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Today was the day I’ve swayed on the fence. Regardless what happens I think the best thing is a clean break. Thank Callum for last year and send him on his way.

Who to take over though? Well I don’t know. There’s a few ideas in my head but none really stand out.

5 likely candidates I say are:

Tommy Wright
Liam Craig
Steve Maclean
Stewart Petrie
Kevin Thomson

More outlandish you’re looking at Morris which would never happen.

We’re down

Maclean is part of it. He can go too.

I genuinely despise Crawford and MacPherson.  

I’ve never heard people boo a player as they came on until Macpherson got it today.

24 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I nearly spontaneously combusted today when Crawford ran the ball back towards the half way line from a decent position then turned and passed the ball straight to a red shirt. He is diabolical. McPherson is also garbage. We’re stuck with them next season. Mind boggling.

Davidson needs to go, and I’d rather he did it now than after we lose the playoff. Today was nothing short of an outright disgrace. Must win game at home against a poor team in awful form and we don’t even muster a shot on target.

our recruitment is what has pissed me off most this season. Last May we must have been in our best position in our history to attract players. Two trophies in the cabinet, a minimum of four European matches guaranteed and two very, very sellable assets in Kerr and McCann. There was obvious succession planning required to cover for the inevitable departures of that pair, and we clearly needed more attacking options.

We ended up with Crawford, McPherson and Vertainen - two complete shitebags and a guy who may well be absolutely dross, but we’ll never know because he was thrown under the bus. A fate that hasn’t befallen Nadir Ciftci despite the fact he’s offered absolutely nothing in his multiple starting appearances.

Half a million quid spent in the right places last summer and we definitely wouldn’t be in this position. We’d still probably be tactically inflexible and tedious but I doubt we’d be sitting in the playoff position.

In the end we’ve probably spent the same amount of cash on the likes of Bair, Mahon and Cleary and ended up saddled with players who the manager that signed them doesn’t seem to like. And now the massive bank balance we’ve built up could end up needing to be used to get out of the championship instead of shoring up more top six finishes.

What a mess.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

Absolutely mental he still had so many on side at this point to be honest. We’ve been horrendous to watch and not picking up results all season and all he’s changed is the odd player like for like. Ciftci still getting game time just sums it up. 

Convinced at this point that he doesn’t actually understand football 

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

If it’s a choice of relegation and the manager leaving, or staying up and the manager staying, is there anyone willing to make a case for why they’re prefer the latter?

I’d celebrate a playoff win like anyone else if we scam one, in the naive hope things improve. But today really firmed it up for me that we just can’t go on like this. I hope we find a way to stay up and the chairman sees this.

What a shite choice but I do not want Callum near my team for one monent longer.

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson: "I thought it was a game that was there for the taking, but today I wasn't happy with the performance, more so the fighting qualities. Once we went a goal down I don't think we performed to any level that we could."

Dick.

2 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

If it’s a choice of relegation and the manager leaving, or staying up and the manager staying, is there anyone willing to make a case for why they’re prefer the latter?

Relegation, without a doubt. And that's a horrible thing to say as people will lose their jobs but I just can't see any path forward for this club under Callum Davidson, no matter what league we are in. 

I'm back to believing he should go immediately. Try and get a bounce for these final few matches and then work out where we go from there. 

“But compared to January when we were five or six points behind, it’s in our hands now to stay in the league.”

Hes genuinely fucking lost it.

Apparently being 5pts behind 10th with 16 games left is a worse position than being 8pts off 10th with 3 games left.

I would happily cheer on Arbroath in a play-off final against us. There, I said it. I live for fairytales. We had ours. Now we are a disgrace. I’d rather see the Lichties go up and us go to Cove Rangers away than suffer another season of the most vile football a person deserves to see for another season.

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I would happily cheer on Arbroath in a play-off final against us. There, I said it. I live for fairytales. We had ours. Now we are a disgrace. I’d rather see the Lichties go up and us go to Cove Rangers away than suffer another season of the most vile football a person deserves to see for another season.

2100997136_tenor(20).gif.3a81255032ab65edd10181274b629bdb.gif

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Not sure what's worse, cheering against your team or the saccharine pish that is 'i live for fairytales'. 

Wanting rid of a perpetually ineffectual manager fine, but don't dress it up as anything more than that.

Issue is Davidson has already impacted next season. He's stopped all planning for it while lumbering us with Brown, MacPherson, MOH, Crawford and May. 

If we go down and cut costs they'll have to be major parts of the squad.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I nearly spontaneously combusted today when Crawford ran the ball back towards the half way line from a decent position then turned and passed the ball straight to a red shirt. He is diabolical. McPherson is also garbage. We’re stuck with them next season. Mind boggling.

Davidson needs to go, and I’d rather he did it now than after we lose the playoff. Today was nothing short of an outright disgrace. Must win game at home against a poor team in awful form and we don’t even muster a shot on target.

our recruitment is what has pissed me off most this season. Last May we must have been in our best position in our history to attract players. Two trophies in the cabinet, a minimum of four European matches guaranteed and two very, very sellable assets in Kerr and McCann. There was obvious succession planning required to cover for the inevitable departures of that pair, and we clearly needed more attacking options.

We ended up with Crawford, McPherson and Vertainen - two complete shitebags and a guy who may well be absolutely dross, but we’ll never know because he was thrown under the bus. A fate that hasn’t befallen Nadir Ciftci despite the fact he’s offered absolutely nothing in his multiple starting appearances.

Half a million quid spent in the right places last summer and we definitely wouldn’t be in this position. We’d still probably be tactically inflexible and tedious but I doubt we’d be sitting in the playoff position.

In the end we’ve probably spent the same amount of cash on the likes of Bair, Mahon and Cleary and ended up saddled with players who the manager that signed them doesn’t seem to like. And now the massive bank balance we’ve built up could end up needing to be used to get out of the championship instead of shoring up more top six finishes.

What a mess.

This sums up our season perfectly, what a mess from such a strong position.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Issue is Davidson has already impacted next season. He's stopped all planning for it while lumbering us with Brown, MacPherson, MOH, Crawford and May. 

If we go down and cut costs they'll have to be major parts of the squad.

Yip, the boys fucked the club. He should really write a book "How to win a double then f**k a club in one season".

This season is the first that I can remember since we got promoted that no pundits predicted that Saints would be relegation candidates. I actually went with this and thought that we would be challenging for third despite losing Jason and Ali. Ironically this may well be the season we go down.

Even early in the season things looked ok with Europe and some decent performances in the league. Downhill all the way since then though! Utter pish and mostly down to CD with his signings, team selection and sticking with a too obvious system that does not work. First time in many years that we will not be the top team in Tayside.
Some of our most exciting seasons however have been in the second tier!