Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He never even watched Dendoncker before we signed him either, just took Davie Weirs word for it.

So what you are saying is he had to go rush to get a player as the failure experiment that was the head of recruitment had not identified a player to come in? And has taken the recommendation of someone who appears to have a good standing in the game (gets jobs at decent clubs a lot down south)

Ambrose was a rushed signing when we were down to untested players - mueller came up here with a good reputation from down south and had been looked at to play with milwall this year (similar to McNamara)

There is no doubt this season hasn’t been good enough but placing the blame fully on the manager when he has had hands tied behind his back by a waste of space is unfair at best

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Impression too is that Davidson feels more comfortable with domestic (scot/eng) players or guys who have been here before. A lot of the guys from down south are way over rated and priced and if there is a former player from Scotland like Ciftci available and willing to come to saints, then frankly, they have really slumped. Cleary, Mahon, E2 and Bair are the sort of pkayer we should be looking at TBH, although bar Cleary, cannot really judge yet. 

On this point - who was the last player we have brought from down south or out with that has been what can be classed as a success who had no ties to Scotland at all? Last one I can think of is Abeid (I’m sure someone will remind me of someone else) but we have had players such as Isaiah Jones come up and look like they have never kicked a ball then go back and be a superstar down south

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Dendoncker, Muller, Devine - 3 young loanees who were all clearly not good enough. The latter 2 were signed early in the window so clearly high up his list of targets. What was the basis for those signings? 

2 year deal from Brown who looks ok, but nothing more. 

Devine is and has always been better than Booth (and Brown). I have no complaints with us getting Gallagher, but we should not have forced Man Utd to take Devine back by playing Booth ahead of him always. 

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What? 😂

We played a back four once last season, and didnt start it once when Muller was here, where have you plucked that idea from?

Apologies. I meant back line but when you’re my age you always refer to a back 4 whether it 3,4 or 5

3 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

On this point - who was the last player we have brought from down south or out with that has been what can be classed as a success who had no ties to Scotland at all? Last one I can think of is Abeid (I’m sure someone will remind me of someone else) but we have had players such as Isaiah Jones come up and look like they have never kicked a ball then go back and be a superstar down south

I think Danny McNamara was a personal success even if Rooney coming into the team was a catalyst for the team improving last season. It’s a fair point though. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I think Danny McNamara was a personal success even if Rooney coming into the team was a catalyst for the team improving last season. It’s a fair point though. 

Even before abeid you have to go back to the likes of Dasovic, Miguel and Lowndes (outside of Goalies)

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anthony Evans, 23yo with 8 goals and 8 assists in the EFL League Two this season was in talks to sign for free in the Summer. Davidson rejected him as he wanted "proven quality" in Ali Crawford.

This is absolutely nuts. Crawford is 31 in July…

36 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

we have had players such as Isaiah Jones come up and look like they have never kicked a ball then go back and be a superstar down south

I'll get pelters for this as he seems a bit unpopular here but I always thought that was mismanaged too. 'Looked like they've never kicked a ball' is based on what exactly? The guy had one appearance that I remember, coming on very late against Ayr, got on a break through the middle, miscontrolled and went down a bit easily. That's literally the only time I saw him play but even from that it was clear he had a bit of pace, but impossible to judge him as a player. No-one will convince me that the Izzy Jones saga was a failure on our part, not his. 

1 hour ago, johnoswald2712 said:

I do agree about McCann however. He had at least a couple of years left on his contract and should not have been sold for less than £2m. Pretty sure it was Brown who was responsible for that though. Davidson came out in the media with some half-hearted acceptance but it was clearly forced on him and the team is still paying the price for that.

This is just you re-writing history though. Davidson came out soon after and said that it was a mutual decision after a discussion with the chairman. There is no debate required about this unless you’re pro-Davidson to the point of ignoring actual facts.