Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its probably just me misreading things, but I see a lot of people suggesting that because the players are working hard that its a sign we've recovered and they seem to infer we will now cruise to safety because of that.

I'm worried a feeling of "job done" starts to seep into the club now and they think the performances are acceptable. We're still not playing well, we're just not playing abysmally anymore. There needs to be a continuous improvement and I've not seen any for weeks now. Feels to me like we've reached a stage where we can defend well and hope Hendry snatches a winner and seem happy with that as our lot.

Fully accepted we needed to just dig in and stop the rot after the winter break, but we've never poked our heads out that ditch since and it'll keep us from reaching 10th. Theres so many missed opportunities that have been thrown away because we've not been brave enough. We can't afford to blow 11th, which is still possible, because we think we can just grind out 1-0 wins every week.

I disagree that anyone's thinking that either (a) we're anything other than mince or that (b) we can relax about the relegation threat. 

But I think that the biggest single issue that a lot of fans had after the Kelty game was that in addition to the mismanagement and lack of quality, the team didn't appear to be fighting for the manger, the team or the fans. I think that folk are now slightly happier that at the very least we're not going to go down through a lack of heart or effort. 

If, and we all know it's a big if, we do manage to stay up the next task in hand is to deal with the other issues. Whether we want it or not (and on balance for me, not) it will be Callum Davidson's job to do that. Right now I don't care that we're shite as long as we're just not quite shite enough to go down. 

10 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Right now I don't care that we're shite as long as we're just not quite shite enough to go down. 

But you know we'll just sit in and play for the draw against Raith Rovers or whoever we meet in the play offs. For that reason alone I'm far from confident we're staying up.

7 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I disagree that anyone's thinking that either (a) we're anything other than mince or that (b) we can relax about the relegation threat. 

But I think that the biggest single issue that a lot of fans had after the Kelty game was that in addition to the mismanagement and lack of quality, the team didn't appear to be fighting for the manger, the team or the fans. I think that folk are now slightly happier that at the very least we're not going to go down through a lack of heart or effort. 

If, and we all know it's a big if, we do manage to stay up the next task in hand is to deal with the other issues. Whether we want it or not (and on balance for me, not) it will be Callum Davidson's job to do that. Right now I don't care that we're shite as long as we're just not quite shite enough to go down. 

Every chance its just me reading things that aren't there, tbh. 

Dealing with the other issues isn't something we can afford to wait until the Summer to sort. Davidson needs to already know or have serious thoughts about how he intends to replace Clark/McCart/Rooney/Hendry, and how he's going to improve our attacking performance in terms of tactical moves and potential signings to help that. We wait until the Summer then we're already behind the rest of the league, again. He can't just assume that continuing with how we're going, and getting Wotherspoon/Kane back in, will solve everything, but I worry thats exactly what he thinks.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Every chance its just me reading things that aren't there, tbh. 

Dealing with the other issues isn't something we can afford to wait until the Summer to sort. Davidson needs to already know or have serious thoughts about how he intends to replace Clark/McCart/Rooney/Hendry, and how he's going to improve our attacking performance in terms of tactical moves and potential signings to help that. We wait until the Summer then we're already behind the rest of the league, again. He can't just assume that continuing with how we're going, and getting Wotherspoon/Kane back in, will solve everything, but I worry thats exactly what he thinks.

Yes you're right - I didn't phrase that well. I think what I meant was that I'M not going to think about it until the summer. 

But we have hired staff to be looking into the squad issues so hopefully it's not taking up more of the manager's time than it should. As for the tactical issues that's more of a worry as that's all on him and we've seen little so far to show that he's able to put out a team with real attacking threat, even though we're now scoring at least one most games. Or Callum Hendry is anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

But you know we'll just sit in and play for the draw against Raith Rovers or whoever we meet in the play offs. For that reason alone I'm far from confident we're staying up.

I honestly think it's 50/50 right now, but that's better than the 80/20 it was a couple of months ago. 

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

As for the tactical issues that's more of a worry as that's all on him and we've seen little so far to show that he's able to put out a team with real attacking threat, even though we're now scoring at least one most games. Or Callum Hendry is anyway. 

This is where my main problem lies. Hes completely and utterly reliant on the defence being rock solid for us to achieve anything.

Callum Hendry has saved his job, if it weren't for him we'd be sitting bottom with about 2 goals in 8 games.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is where my main problem lies. Hes completely and utterly reliant on the defence being rock solid for us to achieve anything.

Callum Hendry has saved his job, if it weren't for him we'd be sitting bottom with about 2 goals in 8 games.

Indeed the case. However I'm not able to use up any emotional energy on stressing about it until at least the schools go back. It's going to be tiring enough just getting through the next half dozen games. 

He's been saved because we have predominantly a championship team that can't do more than grind out a draw here and there.

I said elsewhere that all it would take was Saints to get a couple of wins and we'd be well and truly fucked.

41 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He's been saved because we have predominantly a championship team that can't do more than grind out a draw here and there.

Well aye, and the fact there's every chance we're only 3pts ahead of you, despite you compounding things by not strengthening in January + hiring a divisive clown, after 33 games is a damming indictment of what's gone on with us this season.

Think it’s definitely true that there’s been a big improvement since Kelty and the 9 or so losses in a row that led to that, but it’s been like going from a 1/10 to a 4 or 5/10. Some of that improvement you could say is down to the manager: Our defense has looked a lot better since the January signings, Hallberg better than what we had, and as others say there’s been more ‘desire’ from the squad as results improved. But tbh for me I think a lot of the upturn in results can also be put down to greatly improved luck, the complete accident (from the POV of the manager) of Callum Hendry’s return and goals, and lots of other teams in the league being completely shit since January. I think we look a lot more like the team we were in September/October that was basically shit but ground out a few unexpected results.

It’s important we stay up but the more results improve the more worried I am for next season tbh. No chance Davidson leaves unless we go down, meaning if we stay up we get another season of sitting in against sides with smaller budgets than us and hoping for a lucky bounce on our cow field pitch. Maybe he’ll lead us to the heady heights of ninth.

19 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Where is this being said?

Agree about the luck being far more on our side the past couple of games.

Biscuits on the radio after the game on Saturday was bigging up this narrative. 

Comparing us to the team who won the cups last season. Defending for our lives etc.

That’s nonsense from Biscuits to be honest. We played a lot more football last season, good football and defended well. Granted we didn’t score enough goals for our liking but it wasn’t nick a goal then backs to the wall for 80 minutes. 

I think the most annoying thing for me is that you can see this tam can actually play decent football when they’re allowed to. By that I mean not hampered by a pitch, referee or coach. There were a couple of times on Saturday and against Motherwell where we went through them effortlessly by playing a few quick passes with men forward. We can score more goals, but this insistence from Davidson of having 8/9 behind the ball at all times is killing this team. He needs to be braver and trust his team. They’ve got ability, he’s just scared to use it, then we’ve been saying that for months. 

That's twice our players (Davidson and now Gallacher) have suffered bad injuries following tackles and the manager has come out more concerned with defending the opposition players. 

Not a guy you'd want with you in the trenches. 

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

That's twice our players (Davidson and now Gallacher) have suffered bad injuries following tackles and the manager has come out more concerned with defending the opposition players. 

Not a guy you'd want with you in the trenches. 

He's even half defended the Penrice challenge, remarkably.

Claims it was "a tackle you could make in my day".

Just bizarre stuff.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's even half defended the Penrice challenge, remarkably.

Claims it was "a tackle you could make in my day".

Just bizarre stuff.

Hopeless.

Considering some of the horrendous decisions that have gone against us this season he should be highlighting everything and talking up VAR to raise the profile a bit.

Put some pressure on our useless refs.

It’s almost like he doesn’t want to upset anyone in the game, whether that be other managers, players, referees, etc. For all Tommy Wright moaned too much, Davidson is far too passive at all times and it’s pretty annoying that he’s not even willing to stand up for the team when it matters. Like he should of been condemning Penrice’s tackle, it was an absolute shocker and could of broken Cleary’s leg quite easily.