Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I see that’s Campus Sports shutting down now. I guess that means there will no longer be a shop in town that sells official St Johnstone merchandise?

Just the way it is but sad news. Campus, County Sports and even Intersport in the centre used to carry Saints stuff. 

Is a Head of Operations going to be any different to the numerous other faces that have come and gone post-Duff, even if the job title is different? I'd reel off a list of names but genuinely can't even remember them. Bonus points for anyone that can. 

57 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is a Head of Operations going to be any different to the numerous other faces that have come and gone post-Duff, even if the job title is different? I'd reel off a list of names but genuinely can't even remember them. Bonus points for anyone that can. 

If we're looking at the Stewart Duff role as what this is, it would genuinely be interesting to see how many there's been.

A quick Google for "managing director/General manager" appointments has...

2010 - Grant Cullen (first after Duff)

2013 - Chris Charalambous

2015 - Dave Ryan

2016 - Rachel Simms

2022 - Ian Flaherty 

... all claiming/reported to have been hired into that job in the year shown.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Is it a big deal? I don’t know the full ins and outs of the job but would think it’s a fairly full on position which is all-consuming.  Might be a couple of years flat out is plenty then folk want to move on to something else. Can’t imagine we pay top wages either so maybe the position will always be a stepping stone for occupants these days.

Possibly different with Stewart Duff as he was a Saints man and a big part in the growth of the club, whereas for others it’s probably just a job.  Think these days folk are less likely to stay with the same organisation for many years compared to decades ago.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Is it a big deal?

Depends on the reasons surely? But I wouldn't say having (at least) 5 managing directors (or whatever title) in 12 years is particularly positive. 

Even the emails you get advertising stuff, the names are always different and the media folk seem to come and go in super quick time. 

Obviously the flip side is that are a handful of folk that are in with the bricks and there is no doubt they are the best of people but a bit of stability is surely never a bad thing.

As you alluded to with changing times, maybe we were spoiled by having it pretty much as a two-man show for 25 years. 

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Surely that’s the followers stopped having Rennie as a God. We are pish 

Live footage of RG heading to the Falkirk thread after this reminder they're in meltdown (again).

27 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Saw that earlier. Congrats on the title.

Where has he been playing for you?

He’s was on bench today but come on with twenty or so to go , usually on the right of our 3 midfield or on right of our front 3 but likes to drift into central areas , good touch and fairly puts himself about , I’m either getting really old but he looks about 12 😂😂♥️♥️

Its hard not to get excited by him tbh, hes stepped up a level and seemingly continues to impress fans of the clubs he plays for, both with his ability on the ball and how he fights off it. If you're sensible you're probably saying to hold off until hes stepped up above League Two level, but f**k it, been a while since we had an attacking player impressing in the lower leagues.

Its hard not to get excited by him tbh, hes stepped up a level and seemingly continues to impress fans of the clubs he plays for, both with his ability on the ball and how he fights off it. If you're sensible you're probably saying to hold off until hes stepped up above League Two level, but f**k it, been a while since we had an attacking player impressing in the lower leagues.

3 year deal he signed didn’t he? Wether it’s with us or a club on loan I’d be hoping he’s stepping up to a championship club for a test next season.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

3 year deal he signed didn’t he? Wether it’s with us or a club on loan I’d be hoping he’s stepping up to a championship club for a test next season.

Yeah I think it's to 2024.

Remember thinking it was weird at the time. This weird, positionless, player who'd been bombed out at Hearts and had no senior games.

Fair fucks to whoever spotted his potential and gambled on it in that way. Some great foresight it looks like.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I think it's to 2024.

Remember thinking it was weird at the time. This weird, positionless, player who'd been bombed out at Hearts and had no senior games.

Fair fucks to whoever spotted his potential and gambled on it in that way. Some great foresight it looks like.

Craig Levein deserves 99% of the credit tbh.

No seen st Mirren fans on our thread so much recently. A couple of months ago they were all over it celebrating our failings.

I guess we’re of no interest now that they’re an established top six side and got their sights set on European football…