Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Assume this is Newton Burn? 

IMG_20220325_081719.thumb.jpg.0ca28687c5dbb12845b6afddce54299e.jpg

I'm guessing there was a reason they set the pitch in a bowl at the lowest point of the site. Certainly there were no complaints about the surface for the first decade there. 

People talk about depth of drainage and undersoil infrastructure but surely that isn't the sort of stuff that folk should be getting wrong. Were they forced to put the USH in despite the drainage not being deep enough to allow it? 

Plastic is the answer. 

39 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm guessing there was a reason they set the pitch in a bowl at the lowest point of the site. Certainly there were no complaints about the surface for the first decade there. 

People talk about depth of drainage and undersoil infrastructure but surely that isn't the sort of stuff that folk should be getting wrong. Were they forced to put the USH in despite the drainage not being deep enough to allow it? 

Plastic is the answer. 

Yes. Pre houses and football ground, it used to run further along going right under where the pitch is now. Probably not to only cause of problems, but sure it will be a contributing factor. As you say, the bowl is at the lowest point and again, while not necessarily the only problem, won't be helping. Got to remember too that it was designed in a period where new foot all grounds hadn't really been built for a couple of generations and so has all sorts of things that others will have learnt from.

It's no one thing that causes the problem, but a combination of things all coming together. Should still be able to get a better pitch than we do.

I really don't think plastic is the answer. Games are awful on them and in 2022 a top flight team should need one and we have the means and technology to have a top rate grass pitch. 

59 minutes ago, Radford said:

Plastic is the answer. 

Edit: aye I never opened your picture there Radford, that's the newton burn, 

Edited by tree house tam

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Plastic is the answer. 

The first few seasons at McDiarmid the pitch was great.  I seem to recall the burn was given as one of the reasons for this (providing natural drainage). Don't know why this has changed  - maybe the USH?

15 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I see that’s Campus Sports shutting down now. I guess that means there will no longer be a shop in town that sells official St Johnstone merchandise?

There's not many shops in the city centre that sell anything anymore. Place is just hairdressers and for sale signs.

We seem to fire through staff behind the scenes.
Does this mean Scott Boyd is getting punted? 
Boyd not Head of *Football* Operations? The article's a bit ambiguous and doesn't include the word Football in the new guy's title - could just as easily be Boyd's new boss or even head of all non-football operations.