Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Im at...

Played: 18

Won: 3

Scored: 16 (5 v Dundee)

Scintillating stuff.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The centre of midfield has been a ticking time bomb for years due to the reliance on Craig and Davidson, and its genuinely infuriating absolutely nothing was done to try and resolve that long term, and I include Tommy Wright amongst that. 
16/17 - Paul Paton
17/18 - Kyle McLean
18/19 - Ross Callachan
19/20 -
20/21 - Charlie Gilmour
Theres your, under 30, permanent signings in the 5 seasons before this one. Alston/Scougall don't count as they were never going to be top flight CMs.
The emergence of Ali McCann hid a multitude of sins by the club.

Boy who came with me yesterday hadn’t been since the European games due to work. His first comment was how empty the midfield felt and how obsessed with being on the wing we were.

27 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Boy who came with me yesterday hadn’t been since the European games due to work. His first comment was how empty the midfield felt and how obsessed with being on the wing we were.

I can only imagine hes absolutely buzzing about returning to watch more games.

I can only imagine hes absolutely buzzing about returning to watch more games.

His other comment was something I hadn’t noticed, but he’d pointed out how often we’d got into a Decent position, but then took an extra touch or tried to square it unnecessarily. Something looking back on this season we’ve definitely been guilty of trying too hard.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The centre of midfield has been a ticking time bomb for years due to the reliance on Craig and Davidson, and its genuinely infuriating absolutely nothing was done to try and resolve that long term, and I include Tommy Wright amongst that. 

16/17 - Paul Paton

17/18 - Kyle McLean

18/19 - Ross Callachan

19/20 -

20/21 - Charlie Gilmour

Theres your, under 30, permanent signings in the 5 seasons before this one. Alston/Scougall don't count as they were never going to be top flight CMs.

The emergence of Ali McCann hid a multitude of sins by the club.

There’s no doubt our centre midfield has been mostly poor this season, but this is conveniently selective to support your argument about the club doing ‘absolutely nothing’ to resolve it.

Both were popular signings amongst Saints fans at the time we got them.  Neither setting the heather alight is neither here nor there, the club tried to make the right signings in that area of the park.  Scougall fairly big money by all accounts, and you personally had been touting him for about 2 years before we eventually got him.

McCann’s emergence was also the club sorting out centre midfield. Scouted, signed, developed and introduced to the first team before establishing himself as one of the top young centre midfielders in the country. That’s why we have a youth programme.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

There’s no doubt our centre midfield has been mostly poor this season, but this is conveniently selective to support your argument about the club doing ‘absolutely nothing’ to resolve it.

Both were popular signings amongst Saints fans at the time we got them.  Neither setting the heather alight is neither here nor there, the club tried to make the right signings in that area of the park.  Scougall fairly big money by all accounts, and you personally had been touting him for about 2 years before we eventually got him.

McCann’s emergence was also the club sorting out centre midfield. Scouted, signed, developed and introduced to the first team before establishing himself as one of the top young centre midfielders in the country. That’s why we have a youth programme.

I think I've worded it poorly. Alston and Scougall weren't central midfielders as I see it, both were attacking ones. I'm on about Craig/Davidson replacements, ones who break play up as well as doing things on the ball/getting goals. I don't think either Alston or Scougall were ever seen as being that type. Those I've listed as signed were ones who, to me, the club signed to play that type of role in the side now or in the future.

I doubt we'll have anyone as good as McCann breaking through this decade. The club done, and continue, to do well developing youngsters, but they should be supplementing that with long term options too if they think the youngster is outstanding, otherwise the whole "plan" of developing and selling on the youngsters leads to situations like we're in. It was clear to everyone McCann wasn't going to be here long after he broke into the side, so presumably the club had that thought before then, but no succession plan was in place before we sold him. Ideally we'd have replaced Craig before last season, and had a plan in place for McCanns departure. We've still not replaced Craig to me, yet thats him now presumably finished.

They managed it in other positions, yet for some reason CM was neglected.

Think the manager and board know this now - that’s why we have Hallberg, MacPherson and Gilmour all here on long term deals. The issue now turns to the fact two of those probably aren’t and never will be good enough for us, though I still have some hope for Gilmour. But all 3 are arguably too lightweight to ever be in an effective partnership for us.

18 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Think the manager and board know this now - that’s why we have Hallberg, MacPherson and Gilmour all here on long term deals. The issue now turns to the fact two of those probably aren’t and never will be good enough for us, though I still have some hope for Gilmour. But all 3 are arguably too lightweight to ever be in an effective partnership for us.

They realised too late, so we now have multiple players not up to being starters on multi-year deals (MacPherson/Gilmour) while I suspect the other (Hallberg) was signed too late to help this season and will be away if we get relegated, simply because they needed to make some attempt at resolving it. So this Summer, if we're relegated, we're still likely needing at least two starting CMs.

We might get someone like Ballantyne stepping up to Championship level well, but we'll likely have Davidson, Gilmour, MacPherson, Ballantyne, Wotherspoon, Crawford competing for spots yet we'll still not have a long term Craig/Davidson type. Its dragged on far too long.

Edited by RandomGuy.

They realised too late, so we now have multiple players not up to being starters on multi-year deals (MacPherson/Gilmour) while I suspect the other (Hallberg) was signed too late to help this season and will be away if we get relegated, simply because they needed to make some attempt at resolving it. So this Summer, if we're relegated, we're still likely needing at least two starting CMs.
We might get someone like Ballantyne stepping up to Championship level well, but we'll likely have Davidson, Gilmour, MacPherson, Ballantyne, Wotherspoon, Crawford competing for spots yet we'll still not have a long term Craig/Davidson type. Its dragged on far too long.

I’m still pining for Matt Butcher personally.

31 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

I’m still pining for Matt Butcher personally.

I'd have been quite happy if we'd signed him and Jason Holt permanently tbh.

We'll never know but I suspect we'd have gotten Holt permanently if TW had stayed.

FFS, I've just totally depressed myself before the day's even started. I've been to 23 games this year, seen only 4 wins (2 against Dundee) and 12 goals scored (5 against Dundee). 

My 8-year old son's probably been to about 15 games this season and only seen us win once. No wonder it's getting harder and harder to drag him to games. 

We've only scored from open play in about 12 of our 38 games, so don't think anyone is going to be winning here.

For some contrast, in the disastrous 1975/76 season, we'd scored 35 goals after 38 games (all comps). In the low scoring Derek McInnes season in 2010/11, it was 31 goals after 38 games. Just 26 goals in all competitions this campaign. 

Ross County have played 33 games and scored 48 goals. Essentially, for every goal we score, they score two. 

11 hours ago, mizfit said:

His other comment was something I hadn’t noticed, but he’d pointed out how often we’d got into a Decent position, but then took an extra touch or tried to square it unnecessarily. Something looking back on this season we’ve definitely been guilty of trying too hard.

This is something that's clearly been coached into the team - play the safe ball, keep possession. It's totally stifled us as an attacking force. Suspect Vertainen's unwillingness to follow this instruction was the reason he was singled out for criticism and punted to Linfield. Really struggling to remember us playing through ball for someone to run on to.

49 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Don't concede, don't concede, don't concede. 

Callum Davidsons gameplan, teamtalk and signing strategy right there.

And the problem with this is that when we do conceded, we don't have the players or set up to get back into games.

I'm not actually sure there is any players fit in this squad that have an offensive mentality. Those that do/did like MOH and Middleton have had it coached put of them. 

4 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

This is something that's clearly been coached into the team - play the safe ball, keep possession. It's totally stifled us as an attacking force. Suspect Vertainen's unwillingness to follow this instruction was the reason he was singled out for criticism and punted to Linfield. Really struggling to remember us playing through ball for someone to run on to.

The ironic thing is we hardly ever manage to keep the ball for long. We’re terrible at keeping possession and terrible at any meaningful attacking possession.
We’ll win it occasionally in midfield then pass it back to the centre half’s who pass it about a bit then it gets punted up the park to nobody in particular