Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:
3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
Is surely isn't that surprising though? Like he's spent the past year out with an injury so expecting him to come in and play 10+ games back to back was surely unrealistic?

Maybe. Think that's the area we really could have done with another decent signing in (even before MacPherson and Hallberg's injuries). We have such a lack of mobility in that part of the pitch. Craig being used last night just highlights this - doesn't say much for Davidsons opinion on Gilmour either.

Liam Craig was the obvious sub to make at that period in the game, nothing to do with the manager’s ‘opinion on gilmour’

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

You've been around football long enough to know, or at least you should know, how and why muscle injuries happen. The odd one could be unlucky, what we have at Saints is that most of the first team have been out at various times with pulls and tears, that's not unlucky.

But hardly any injuries last Season. has something changed?

Going from not playing a lot of football to two games a week always presents a risk of a muscle injury. You often see quite a few at the start of a season going from pre-season to starting a few friendlies.

Hallberg, Cifti and Hendry all come into that category.

Davidson is taking a lot of stick from Saints fans for everything just now, but we've looked a lot better since the kelty game. We deserve to be where we are, but there is no doubt whatsoever that we've had hellish luck with injuries and decisions, and without both over the past 3-4 weeks we'd be looking in a reasonable position to climb out of the bottom two.

The key for Davidson is to not to make it a hard luck story. He's got to get a culture of 'next man up' into the squad, circle the wagons and let's get stuck into the job at hand. Easier said that done, but this is where he proves his mettle or feels sorry for himself and gives in.

My worry is the upturn in form isn't enough, especially now Dundee have changed manager.

Kelty, Dundee, Livi, United, St Mirren, Aberdeen. Considering the form of the Dundee sides and Aberdeen, that was a real chance to pick up wins and get real momentum and try and build a gap to the bottom.

Instead we've won one, still sit bottom, and now our nearest competitors are above us with a game in hand and have got rid of the dead weight manager holding them down, and 3 of our next 4 games are against Hearts, Hibs and Rangers.

I hope nobody is patting themselves on the back for the past month as showing more fight and not collapsing was the minimum we required.

Yes it probably would have been okay if we hadn't completely chucked it for 2-3 months. Even a couple of wins and draws in the period from losing 3-0 at home to Livi upto kelty in the Cup and we'd be right in the mix with a fighting chance. It would mean the draws we're picking up might actually be useful instead of being lost opportunities as they are now.

Instead we went on a run of 1 win, 2 draws, 10 defeats. 6 defeats out of 6 in December being a particularly impressive stat.

I'd guess Craig was brought on to try and calm everyone down after the penalty and stop the whole side collapsing again.

Don't know how to word this but Liam Gordon doesn't seem to be a great captain in that regard.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't know how to word this but Liam Gordon doesn't seem to be a great captain in that regard.

He talks a lot during games but that isn't nearly enough, he needs to take a grip of the game and try to lead by example. That second half against St. Mirren should ring alarm bells in his own head never mind everyone around him. There is a lot of improvement needed.

My comments weren't to disparage Craig but rather a reflection on the fact that we've signed 18 players this season and May and Craig are still the guys that we are relying on.

He's signed Crawford, Gilmour, MacPherson, Hallberg and Sang that can all play centre midfield and I'd argue that only Hallberg looks like an improvement.

Was living in hope that our new signings might eventually come good, but I’ve just seen that our head of recruitment has liked Lawrence Shankland’s batshit tweet. Forgive me if I now start to lean towards the assumption that this man can’t be trusted in any of his decision-making.

On the other side of things, Dundee have appointed Mark McGhee.

This could go either way.

The new signings were always going to be hit or miss. Cleary is definitely an improvement on what we had on that side before, Hallberg is most certainly an improvement as well. Mahon hasn't had a chance, but looked solid enough from what we saw, same with Cifiti I guess. Then you're looking at Sang and Bair who've not exactly been given a chance, with Gallacher the only one so far who looks poor in my mind. 

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I’ve just seen that our head of recruitment has liked Lawrence Shankland’s batshit tweet. Forgive me if I now start to lean towards the assumption that this man can’t be trusted in any of his decision-making.

I got attacked by random and beatson last time i pointed he's a fucking moron. This is far from the first time he's engaged with this kind of pish.

I guess the antivax virus spreads easily. c***s the lot 

Edited by FrankChickens1

Looking at the remaining fixtures pretty much underscores why we needed to take advantage of the last few games. 

• 19th Feb: Hearts (H)
  • 26th Feb: County (A)
  • 2nd March: Rangers (H)
  • 5th March: Hibs (A)
  • 19th March: Motherwell (H)
  • 2nd Aprl: Livingston (H)
  • 9th April: Celtic (A)

If I'm looking for the positives, we'll hopefully see some injured players return after the two week break between Hibs and Motherwell. 

However, even if you take my most optimistic prediction for this run in, I can't see us securing more than 11 points. We'll probably end up with 5 or 6. 

Edited by Sainthearted

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Was living in hope that our new signings might eventually come good, but I’ve just seen that our head of recruitment has liked Lawrence Shankland’s batshit tweet. Forgive me if I now start to lean towards the assumption that this man can’t be trusted in any of his decision-making.

On the other side of things, Dundee have appointed Mark McGhee.

This could go either way.

4 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I got attacked by random and beatson last time i pointed he's a fucking moron. This is far from the first time he's engaged with this kind of pish.

I guess the antivax virus spreads easily. c***s the lot 

I'm not taking a position either way, but General Nonsense or Politics forum for this stuff. 

I avoid those forums for a reason; politics is shoehorned into everything these days and I'd rather not see it shoehorned into threads that are supposed to be about football.

1 minute ago, Sainthearted said:

I'm not taking a position either way, but General Nonsense or Politics forum for this stuff. 

I avoid those forums for a reason; politics is shoehorned into everything these days and I'd rather not see it shoehorned into threads that are supposed to be about football.

It's about St Johnstone, and our chief scout is embarrassing the club, yet again - as if the clubs performance since he rocked up hasn't done that enough already 

Edited by FrankChickens1

Just now, FrankChickens1 said:

It's about St Johnstone, and our chief scout is embarrassing the club, yet again. 

That's a bit like saying the Chancellor's next budget is about St Johnstone. 

Yes, there's an extremely tenuous link, but the overwhelming theme of your developing discussion is COVID-19 and the politics surrounding it.