Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Can I just ask where Bair would fit in? From the outside he seemed to be your marquee signing in January. Didn’t look great last night but too harsh to judge anyone for you after that triple sub last night. 

I think he’ll need to show us exactly where he fits in to it off the bench for the next few weeks at least.

Thinking the play offs will be a skoosh - if we even get that far - is also pie in the sky. Those teams may not be great but they've got experienced, tactically sound managers who are capable of getting results in one (or two!) off matches. Our manager doesn't seem to get the distinction of what constitutes a winger and what constitutes a striker.

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Thinking the play offs will be a skoosh - if we even get that far - is also pie in the sky.

Exactly. It’s a lottery.  Just takes a bad refereeing decision and subsequent loss of heads and we could easily see a loss by a goal or two.

Are we going to be confident having to overturn a deficit the way we’ve been this season?!

2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

I won the treble with Hibs on FIFA 11 back in the day. Akpo Sodje was the league's top scorer.

However, since nobody was there to see it, I don't count it towards Hibs' trophy tally. See what I'm getting at here?

Aye.

Drugs are still prevalent in Embra.

54 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Thinking the play offs will be a skoosh - if we even get that far - is also pie in the sky. 

Aye. Dick Campbell or Derek McInnes.

Still a while to go for teams to pick up/lose form, buts its hard to see us doing much against either side who have experienced managers and a fired up squad.

I genuinely don't even know what our strongest team is. Ideally we now just pick it, stick with it, and try and build something.

I guess Clark is a stick on. At CB Cleary? Gordon and McCart have both had nightmares at different points, we've still no idea about Mahon really. 

Then your wing backs. Proven to provide too little in attack options in Brown and Booth, then total unknowns who haven't impressed yet in Sang and Gallacher.

Midfield is a mess. I think I'd have Hallberg and Davidson for certain. Then you've got two old CMs who can't run in Butterfield and Craig, and Charlie Gilmour. Crawford is just no.

Hendry obviously up front. Probably Ciftci when he's fit but dunno after that.

I think I'd consider

Clark

Sang - Cleary - Gordon - McCart - Gallacher

Hallberg - Butterfield - Davidson

Hendry - Ciftci

But I dunno, I change my mind about some of them regularly. That midfield feels shit as a group.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Stan Bo said:

Can I just ask where Bair would fit in? From the outside he seemed to be your marquee signing in January. Didn’t look great last night but too harsh to judge anyone for you after that triple sub last night. 

The way this season is going we've  just bought a 12ft Donkey. 

5 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Congratulations on winning the Covid cups. What were your seat numbers at those two games, please?

Schrödinger's double. :lol:

Schrodinger was making a joke and was intentionally being absurd.So your analogy just makes you look stupid and ill informed...Hope this helps 

I genuinely don't even know what our strongest team is. Ideally we now just pick it, stick with it, and try and build something.
I guess Clark is a stick on. At CB Cleary? Gordon and McCart have both had nightmares at different points, we've still no idea about Mahon really. 
Then your wing backs. Proven to provide too little in attack options in Brown and Booth, then total unknowns who haven't impressed yet in Sang and Gallacher.
Midfield is a mess. I think I'd have Hallberg and Davidson for certain. Then you've got two old CMs who can't run in Butterfield and Craig, and Charlie Gilmour. Crawford is just no.
Hendry obviously up front. Probably Ciftci when he's fit but dunno after that.
I think I'd consider
Clark
Sang - Cleary - Gordon - McCart - Gallacher
Hallberg - Butterfield - Davidson
Hendry - Ciftci
But I dunno, I change my mind about some of them regularly. That midfield feels shit as a group.

I think we have to take it game by game, and try as much as we can to keep a group of settled players who are doing at least OK in the team for each game as they come with only tweaks (2/3 changes max) between games. We got it wrong making too many changes for last night’s game - I said before it I’d like to see Gallacher in but Brown continuing on the other side for continuity sake, in the end we changed both and I think that was one of our biggest problems before the system switch and everything going to shit. The new wingbacks were both honking and didn’t seem to know the system or where to go. If we’d played one of them and kept Booth or Brown in we’d have known there was some guaranteed solidity on the other side. It’s small things like that which are our undoing I feel.

For Aberdeen I’d have Brown Cleary Gordon McCart Booth back as our defense. If we accept 11th is our only goal now then we need to ensure we are solid rather than trying things because we desperately need to win. For what it’s worth I’ll repeat the thing I said before St Mirren where I said I thought Brown is actually improving at wing back. He’s come on a lot as a footballer since we signed him and I don’t really see why he couldn’t continue to improve in that wing back position even while it’s still not natural to him, and is at a minimum solid defensively. If the improvement doesn’t come Sang will get another chance. On the other side Gallacher has had two shots and been shite in both - that has to be it for him this season unless Booth breaks or goes off a cliff form wise IMO. Very very tempted to bring in Mahon for Gordon but for the sake of a settled defense it is probs worth leaving the capt in there for now.

Also credit where it’s due, I think there’s been a big improvement from Jamie McCart since Kelty. I wouldn’t have had him off yesterday.

In midfield, I agree with Random that there are two midfielders who should be first pick but I would have Hallberg and Butterfield. I don’t see what Davidson really offers these days - genuinely interested in why you/others would have him in there? I thought he was mostly just a walking second booking yesterday. Butterfield has grown on me and always wants on the ball, if Hallberg is in there doing the running I think they could be an effective pair.

Don’t mind the shouts for May as a CAM but think that’s unlikely for this game - leaving a choice between Crawford, Gilmour, Davidson, Craig (or Tom Sang?). I think Crawford can offer us something in the fight but it has to be as someone fighting for their place from the bench for a bit as he’s had a poor few games. Probably Gilmour for me thought I’m not convinced he’s very good. Wouldn’t mind MacPherson being the more attacking man in the midfield when he’s fit, but it doesn’t work if both he and Crawford are in there.

In attack Hendry is a guaranteed pick. I thought May had a couple of good games and he can help to make the ball stick, so in the absence of a fully fit Ciftci would have him back up there next week. Bair will have to show what he can do from the bench for a bit.

Clark
Brown/Sang Cleary Gordon McCart Booth

Hallberg Butterfield
?

Hendry ?

That’s basically where I think we’re at. The mentality of this group is so weak and we need to get a settled team together who all play for each other.

Am I alone in not being particularly impressed by Cleary so far? Does some decent stuff going forward, but he seems fairly slow and cumbersome defensively, plus his body positioning is all wrong a lot of the time. Seems to get caught front-on and flat footed quite often, making it far too easy for players to get past him. 

38 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

I think we have to take it game by game, and try as much as we can to keep a group of settled players who are doing at least OK in the team for each game as they come with only tweaks (2/3 changes max) between games. We got it wrong making too many changes for last night’s game 

See I see a lot of folk saying that, but I think we played well in the first half and the changes weren't a disaster or the reason we went on to lose.

Booth and May probably feel hard done by, but I don't think Booth hasn't set up a single chance this season while Middleton has looked more dangerous than May since the break and ended up winning us the penalty with a run May wouldn't be making. The manager made brave changes to try and make us more attacking and for 45 minutes it looked like it would work.

The change of shape was right in theory too, we needed to get more numbers in attack, but we just don't have the players on the bench just now to change shape effectively.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Congratulations on winning the Covid cups. What were your seat numbers at those two games, please?

Schrödinger's double. :lol:

Unless Schrödinger had a TV camera in the box, which kind defeats the point of the experiment I guess ....not sure the analogy is quite working here