Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Seeing Gregory Tade describe David Goodwillie as a "good lad who made some mistakes when he was young" has genuinely just broken my heart.

The Goodwillie thing puts our transfer business in context. At least we haven’t signed anyone that would make me feel like I never wanted to give Saints any of my money or watch them ever again.

I like the sound of Bair, Hendry is a better option than May or an Eetu who won’t get on the pitch. I think Ciftci will come up with the goods for us if he gets fit too, so we’re quite set up top. I worry about the lack of options to switch things up and play wide players if the 5-3-2 clearly isn’t working though. We only really have Middleton and O’Halloran and neither of them have been good enough this season (appreciate it’s been a tough gig for the former in particular). Thinking of players we were linked with Jamie Walker or M Kennedy would have been a nice option to have.

Hallberg sort of seems like what we needed in the middle, but I would have liked another. Not particularly convinced by Charlie Gilmour, Butterfield, or MacPherson (in particular) but we’re going to need at least two of them to step up. I can’t really figure out Ali Crawford still - everyone hates him and I see why, but I think in the tight games against sides around us he will wind up being crucial, because we have such a lack of creativity without Wotherspoon that hasn’t been addressed.

Really happy with the defensive additions, and think in Gallacher and hopefully this Cardiff guy we have players more naturally suited to being wing backs than Booth/Brown. The system will still need to be tweaked to get them some support out wide as they aren’t superhuman, but at least when found in space out-wide they might get a decent cross in every so often. It’s great we have the option to realistically drop McCart now, we look really strong at centre half.

3 hours ago, juneof86 said:

He looked like he had real potential and then he got stuck on a Vancouver side that doesn't play their own youth players and were also playing a dire, defensive style that didn't suit anyone, but really made playing up front a thankless task.

Sounds familiar

6 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

So, are Eetu and Efe staying in purgatory (McDiarmid Park)? Has Liam Craig's dream move to Falkirk fallen through? This squad is massive.

We can still loan players out to clubs in tiers below the Premiership. 

Tom Sang maybe seems a bit underwhelming at first but he's certainly not an U23 player and is part of the Cardiff first team squad. Few players in front of him and maybe hasn't quite found his niche yet as a player. For us, we obviously hope it's at wing back, although a dynamic midfielder wouldn't be a bad second prize. 

Was told Saints went in for him earlier this month but Cardiff weren't keen, tried again yesterday and got more encouragement. 

So he's not a lister, the sort of which you can spot a mile off on deadline day.

Tom Sang maybe seems a bit underwhelming at first but he's certainly not an U23 player and is part of the Cardiff first team squad. Few players in front of him and maybe hasn't quite found his niche yet as a player. For us, we obviously hope it's at wing back, although a dynamic midfielder wouldn't be a bad second prize. 
Was told Saints went in for him earlier this month but Cardiff weren't keen, tried again yesterday and got more encouragement. 
So he's not a lister, the sort of which you can spot a mile off on deadline day.

Quick glances online also show that Cardiff fans think he’s got a real chance and just needs first team football. Much rather we make a signing like this and not someone playing for Crystal Palace’s U-23’s.

Saints had two options this month, bringing in a new type of player to enable a shape change (we didn't, unlike St Mirren, already have a squad that allowed us to do that IMO) or find players to suit Davidson's shape. 

They have gone for the latter and it's been a proper investment, with long-term deals for many. 

I worry we've never scored goals in his shape but the team should certainly have a different look to it when everyone is up to speed. 

Slightly surprised that they were linked with Walker and Kennedy, and tried for Forrest, but haven't brought in a player in that mould but that would be my only concern. 

If the players we've signed are rubbish, that's an issue for the summer but, for now, it's about a manager being backed and addressing weak areas in the squad. That has happened. 

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

Saints had two options this month, bringing in a new type of player to enable a shape change (we didn't, unlike St Mirren, already have a squad that allowed us to do that IMO) or find players to suit Davidson's shape. 

They have gone for the latter and it's been a proper investment, with long-term deals for many. 

For not having a preferred system he sure has thrown a fair amount of cash at trying to get players to fill that system he doesn't prefer.

For what it's worth I think we might see a few changes to shape in the coming weeks, with McCart and Gordon dropped and not before time imo. Has E2 left the building?

For not having a preferred system he sure has thrown a fair amount of cash at trying to get players to fill that system he doesn't prefer.
For what it's worth I think we might see a few changes to shape in the coming weeks, with McCart and Gordon dropped and not before time imo. Has E2 left the building?

Not sure how the failed statelets window works, but there is a month for sides in the lower leagues to loan in players.

Who knows, Raith may come to their senses punt Goodwillie and sign Eetu.

6 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Hope it’s a wide attacker Drey, Barker or Kennedy would suffice,must be a free agent obviously 

Then Barker is the only viable option of those three. Would be satisfied if so. Snodgrass would also be tasty. But we'll probably announce the signing of that Australian trialist Lennon who can't be found on Google.